Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SkyTalk now subject to a 12month minimum term contract

This is a discussion on SkyTalk now subject to a 12month minimum term contract within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Just noticed a Sky advert and it read that SkyTalk is now subject to a minimum term contract! From how ...

bbb_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

SkyTalk now subject to a 12month minimum term contract

Just noticed a Sky advert and it read that SkyTalk is now subject to a minimum term contract!

From how I read it from their t&c, a 12month minimum term contract applies even when just taking their calls (ie even without Sky's linerental).

I can't believe that they are asking for a minimum term contract just for calls only when most other CPS providers don't have a minimum term contract (as far as i'm aware).

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: SkyTalk now subject to a 12month minimum term contract

Well thankfully there is still freedom of choice in the UK and it's not compulsory to join!

But I'm sure they know what they are doing...

++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Well thankfully there is still freedom of choice in the UK and it's not compulsory to join!

But I'm sure they know what they are doing...

They knew what they were doing when they silently migrated customers from CPS to another form of CPS whereby Sky can stop or charge extra for calls even if a customer wanted to be charged by BT.

Oftel (predecessor before Ofcom) came up with the idea that providing you use BT as your landline provider you can use several providers for different types of calls as and when you wanted to ensure you had a wider choice and the best possible rates.

Sky were the first to silently migrate all their customers to the new form of CPS (can't remember what it's known as) which means Sky still charge you their prices even if you decide to carry a specific type of call with another call provider.

So yes, we still have a choice but that choice is fading thanks to tricks like silently migrating customers without any notice and now a minimum term contract just for having calls with them even.

In other words, as Sky, like Virgin, are really expensive for calls to 0845/0870 numbers, Sky can now still charge their (expensive) rate for calls to 0845/0870 when unknown to their customers they thought they were bypassing Sky for the call and having it carried and billed by BT (for example).

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

If you are referring to the use of 1280 before numbers so that you are billed by BT, we were led to believe that this was revoked by BT, not Sky. Part of BT's plan to lure people back to BT call plans. Maybe Sky advertised it to their customers, but I am fairly certain this came about due to a BT decision, not Sky.
      Last edited by indefatigable; 01-06-09 at 07:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      If you are referring to the use of 1280 before numbers so that you are billed by BT, we were led to believe that this was revoked by BT, not Sky. Part of BT's plan to lure people back to BT call plans. Maybe Sky advertised it to their customers, but I am fairly certain this came about due to a BT decision, not Sky.
      It must have actually been Sky that decided to migrate their customers to this new CPS thing. The normal CPS facility must still exist because providers like Primus (last I heard) still use it and allow their customers to use 1280 and other call providers on a call by call basis.

Sky didnt advertise anything to their customers is what I read in all the forums including this one when I first read about it. BT mentioned that customers who use other providers may not be able to use 1280

In fact when I first read about the new CPS thing, Sky was the first that had taken advantage of it and thus stop the use of being billed by BT (and other providers for that matter).

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It's not just Sky
      Changes for customers using 1280 | BT.com
      BT are blaming providers but it's more to do with changes BT Wholesale have made to try to give BT a way of luring customers back from call providers.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      It's not just Sky
      Changes for customers using 1280 | BT.com
      BT are blaming providers but it's more to do with changes BT Wholesale have made to try to give BT a way of luring customers back from call providers.
      The 'change' as you mention was optional as some CPS providers still use the old method. Sky were one of the first to swap over and naturally neglected to mention to any of their customers.

It's possible that BT were doing it to try and get customers back but it doesnt make sense as most customers on the new CPS thing will just stick with their current provider (ie Sky in this case) because it may have only been a few calls that a customer carried with BT because they were cheaper.

I suspect BT wholesale advertised this new CPS thing (possibly at an extra cost) to CPS providers as a new fantastic marketing thing with something along the lines, "Our new CPS service now enabled you to stop your customers from using alternative providers..."

I do suspect BT wholesale makes more money out of this than the ordinary CPS and BT know that it was only the few odd calls that people carried with themselves. BT may have lost with regards to the few customers carrying the odd call with them but possibly gained financially with the new CPS service.

However, Sky have gained the most and that's why they were the first to opt on board so they could stop their customers paying the really expensive 08x rates that Sky charge.

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

That last paragraph lost me bbb_uk.

Did you mean:
      However, Sky have gained the most and that's why they were the first to opt on board so they could stop their customers avoiding paying the really expensive 08x rates that Sky charge.
      ?
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
      Did you mean: ?
      However, Sky have gained the most and that's why they were the first to opt on board so they could stop their customers avoiding paying the really expensive 08x rates that Sky charge.
      I did, yes lol.