Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New phone line with Sky Talk

This is a discussion on New phone line with Sky Talk within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I've only been a Sky customer for a month or so and already I want to scream!! I moved into ...

Lynsley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New phone line with Sky Talk

I've only been a Sky customer for a month or so and already I want to scream!!
      I moved into a new build property and signed up for Sky plus, sky talk and sky broadband. Sky arranged for an openreach engineer to come and install the phone line, but the line actually became active before the scheduled visit, so I rang Openreach and they cancelled the visit. Since then I've been ringing sky customer services every 2 or 3 days only to be told that my phone line isn't registered on their system so they can't proceed with my broadband order!
      Every time I ring, someone tells me they've escalated the issue and a representative will ring me back in a few days - and do they? Of course not!!
      The thing is I can't even get broadband elsewhere because my phoneline (which works perfectly!!) doesn't seem to be registered with either Sky or BT so no ISP's can set up an account for me!
      Call centre staff are alwys very chirpy and empathetic, but that doesn't change the fact that it's been nearly a month and they still haven't sorted it out!
      Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: New phone line with Sky Talk

You cancelled Openreach, they have not updated the database to say that it was active because they were not able to complete the installation itself via a visit. If you had allowed Openreach to complete the job this would not have happened. BT control the database and it needs them to update it.

sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi welcome to the forum

i do understand were you are coming from i had the same problems when i joint sky 18mths ago

it took me over a month to sort things out with Sky But i must say one thing as soon as you are sorted hopefully you will be fine

like i said i had the same sort of problems with ringing and being told this is not working and that is not working but i think it was worth the wait because for 18mths now i have not had no trouble its gone of a couple of times but came back on with in about 10-15mins not bad for 18mths

The trouble with BT and SKY is there is no middle ground and sometimes i think its BT just making Sky hang around being that Sky have to rent the lines of BT
      so BT put all there stuff in front of doing Sky's.

Good luck hopefully you won't have to long to wait.

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

Exchange:
      Thanks

Until the BT database is updated Sky cannot do anything and nor can any other provider as the OP has already found out. This is unfortunately what happens if BT mess up when it comes to updating the database. My first thought is who is getting the line rental fee? If it's BT how are they billing for a line not on the database?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      You cancelled Openreach, they have not updated the database to say that it was active because they were not able to complete the installation itself via a visit. If you had allowed Openreach to complete the job this would not have happened. BT control the database and it needs them to update it.
      Openreach told ME they didn't need to come and THEY cancelled the visit, Sky are receiving the line rental so as far as I'm concerned it's up to Sky to rectify the situation. Presumably this means I can make 2 hour long phone calls to Australia for free since no one is claiming ownership of the line :-)

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As you say you are paying line rental to Sky, but they still have to rely on BT doing the right thing their end.

This is one of the reasons I will always try to keep my line rental seperate to the Sky package I have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      As you say you are paying line rental to Sky, but they still have to rely on BT doing the right thing their end.

This is one of the reasons I will always try to keep my line rental seperate to the Sky package I have.
      Yeah, foolishly I assumed it would be more straight forward to get everything from one supplier. Silly me
      I appreciate things go wrong but what galls me the most is that I've rung dozens of times annd each time the person in the call centre promises faithfully to call me back and they never do.

sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post

This is one of the reasons I will always try to keep my line rental separate to the Sky package I have.
      I agree in one way what you are saying it would be quicker going BT way....But is it being the people they emplore don't understand what you are saying and then passing you to someone else that don't understand what you are saying and before long you are on the phone for about an hour or two

my line rental is paid to SKY being BT played me about for a year saying i owned them money which i didn't i did everything properly

i must say since i have been with SKY my telephone line as improved i use to get a buzzing on my line But since i have been with SKY line rental its gone really strange.

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

Exchange:
      Thanks

It normally is quite straight forward but it seems that when Openreach checked the line and found it already active they decided to cancel the engineer visit (probably still charged Sky though lol) but then failed to update their database to state it was up and running.
      Personally I would call CS and ask for a manager, someone has to kick this one up the backside and get BT to sort the database out properly.

user111 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

You need to speak with New Line Provide Provisioning, Which I am in, but obviously can not access your account details. Call up the sky talk number ask to go through to NLP provisioning (open till 9PM) They are the department that need to get this sorted as they have access to some BT systems to do checks