Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Caller Display

This is a discussion on Caller Display within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Anyone else having problems getting "Caller Display" activated on their Sky telephone line? I migrated my line rental from BT ...

pete22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Coventry
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Caller Display

Anyone else having problems getting "Caller Display" activated on their Sky telephone line?

I migrated my line rental from BT to Sky on the 6/7 April 2009. (My Caller Display with BT was working correctly on the 6 April, but was switched off on the 7 April).

On the 7 April, I contacted SKY and asked for Caller Display to be switched on, and was told this would happen 72hrs later - it didn't!

On Saturday 11, I phoned Sky's call centre again, discovered that they had "forgotten" to switch it on, but they would do so within 24 hours of my call. It wasn't.

Sunday, 12 April, I phoned Sky again and was told to give more time "should be on by Tuesday".

Googling the net to see if anyone else was having similar problems, I came across the following Sky Help Centre Link:

Sky.com - Sky Help Centre>Product Help

Of interest to me - the first paragraph:

"Caller Display
      To ensure that the Caller Display facility is switched on, dial the code *#234# (press the star button, then the hash button, then two, then three, then four, then the hash button).
      If the facility is active, the message 'Caller identity' will be displayed.
      If the facility is not active, dial *234# (star button, two, three, four, hash button) to activate the service.
      If you are experiencing difficulties activating the caller display feature, try the following procedures in turn to resolve the problem. "

Naturally I tried those codes immediately only to hear the disappointing message: " Sorry the service requested is not available. Thank you for calling. Please hang up."

There seem to be two versions of this page. The usual one does not have this initial paragraph (although this "unusual" page is dated 2009).

Becoming increasingly annoyed.....

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Caller Display

Your link looks like a 'steal' from the BT website which reads -
      Check the facility is switched on by entering the code * # 234 # If the facility is active you will get the massage Caller identity will be displayed. If the facility is not active then activate it using the code * 234 #.
      This is designed to work on BT's system, but it may not on Sky's. Maybe nobody told them how to set it up. The rest of the advice is almost word for word with Sky's, with suitable additions -
      https://www2.bt.com/static/i/microsi...g/display.html

All you can do is keep calling them until they fix it. At least the calls will be free

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

[QUOTE=

All you can do is keep calling them until they fix it. At least the calls will be free[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this.

Yes calls to Sky Call centres are free, but there was a change to Skytalk freetime on the 8 April 2009:

"Calls to Sky Contact Centre will remain free during the evenings and weekends. Daytime weekday calls to Sky Contact Centre's will now be charged at 5p per minute plus an 8p connection fee,"

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Your not on Unlimited then, I had assumed you would be when you had taken their rental.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

just tried it on my sky phone the the code does work

i got the massage Caller identity will be displayed.

my line went over to sky on the 8th.

to be honest i didn't want the 1571 but got that to

i did my change over online and ticked for caller display that was it i didn't tick for 1571 but still got it.

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdd View Post
      just tried it on my sky phone the the code does work

i got the massage Caller identity will be displayed.

my line went over to sky on the 8th.

to be honest i didn't want the 1571 but got that to

i did my change over online and ticked for caller display that was it i didn't tick for 1571 but still got it.
      I asked them to remove 1571 also, but that never happened either! So I decided to focus on Caller Display for the time being.

I also did my changeover online too, but I did not spot the option to select Caller Display during the process, seems I could have saved myself a lot of wasted time!

Useful to know that the *#234# code works to check if the facility is active, it's easier than dialing the line externally all the time, but it's a shame I can't activate it from here using the other code!

macbeth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete22 View Post
      Naturally I tried those codes immediately only to hear the disappointing message: " Sorry the service requested is not available. Thank you for calling. Please hang up."
      This message is telling me that it not been setup on the line correctly or fault on line. If you dial *#234# or *234#, both times you should or here a message to advised that Caller display is active on your line.

The other thing just to rule out any problem in your house is to removed every equipment out of phone socket(s) inc micro filter(s) if you got broadband and plug the phone itself directly into master or test socket if you got one. Easiest way of finding out if you got a test socket the two screws that hold the the phone plate to the wall will be at lease 2/3 down from the top off plate and top and bottom plate are in two halfs.

hope this is of some help.
      Last edited by macbeth; 13-04-09 at 12:20 AM. Reason: poor spelling :-(

sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete22 View Post
      I asked them to remove 1571 also, but that never happened either! So I decided to focus on Caller Display for the time being.

I also did my changeover online too, but I did not spot the option to select Caller Display during the process, seems I could have saved myself a lot of wasted time!

Useful to know that the *#234# code works to check if the facility is active, it's easier than dialing the line externally all the time, but it's a shame I can't activate it from here using the other code!
      Yeah it was on the online form and there was loads more to click on some you have to pay extra

you are right the *#234# code is good to know.

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I was lucky enough to blag a year's free line rental and 6 months free Unlimited when I phoned up Sky to join Sky Talk. I asked for Caller Display when I was discussing the order but I think the guy forgot to tick the right box, so when the line was switched from BT to Sky back in March, there was no Caller Display :-(

The first time I called them, the lady I spoke to said the system wouldn't let her put through an order for Caller Display on my line. She was very apologetic and said (something like) although my line was active they hadn't had notification that it had gone live yet. (I think they maybe get some notification from BT Retail and/or BT Openreach after the line has been switched but maybe it sometimes takes a while to come through?)

Anyway after about 2 weeks and a couple more phone calls, they were finally able to put through a request for Caller Display. Co-incidentally (?), a couple of days later, I received my final bill from BT (which was a small refund).

1571 was active from day 1 of the switch from BT to Sky (didn't have this previously when the line was with BT, didn't ask for it from Sky and may get round to asking them to switch it off soon).
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

Activated today, verified using those useful codes - thanks to all for help and advice....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast