Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I move to Sky Talk?

This is a discussion on Can I move to Sky Talk? within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I currently have Sky TV and Sky Broadband Base and my phone line through BT . However, I have just ...

lagentium is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can I move to Sky Talk?

I currently have Sky TV and Sky Broadband Base and my phone line through BT. However, I have just seen that my broadband bill has increased by 5 month and the only way to avoid paying this is by taking out sky talk as well.

As i am on a 12 month line rental contract with BT, do I have to wait until this is up before making the switch. I am only 4 months into this contract and do not want to incur excessive costs for moving across to Sky too soon

2. Advertisement
      Tim1964 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hoddesdon
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Can I move to Sky Talk?

I would say yes you can. You would only be routing your calls via Sky's system but still paying your line rental to BT (as I do). There is no requirement in your BT contract to make a minimum number of calls.

We get called by BT every month to 'go back' as they can see that we (as far as they're concerned) make no calls at all which is true because we use our inclusive mobile minutes and therefore make no calls via Sky either.

The poor BT guy tried to get something out of us but ended up cutting our bill from 17.50 /month to 13.50/month as we were overpaying for the line rental.

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Re: Can I move to Sky Talk?

Ensure the Sky Talk person you speak to understands you only want to CPS your calls via Sky Talk and DO NOT want to move your line rental too (if you move your line rental, BT will charge you for breaching your contract with them).

Be aware though that, if you use Caller Display and/or basic 1571, they'll still come via BT and BT will charge you for them because, to get them free, you have to make at least 2 chargeable or inclusive calls via BT per month and you will no longer be able to do that when you've CPS'd your calls to Sky Talk (IIRC, Caller Display will be about 1.75/month and 1571 will be about 1/month).
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.