Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

phone wont work since switching from bt to sky

This is a discussion on phone wont work since switching from bt to sky within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi There wondered if anyone could help. I have previously been with BT for my line rental and sky talk ...

bamblolo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

phone wont work since switching from bt to sky

Hi There wondered if anyone could help. I have previously been with BT for my line rental and sky talk for my calls and broadband everything was working fine no problems. I then decided to switch my line rental to sky as well and since then my phone will not work. My phone is a Bang and Olufsen Beocom 6000 at first i thought it might have been my phone but i have replaced the battery tried just plugging in the phone and nothing. I then went out and bought a cheap phone where i did get a line but had lots of interference. After numerous calls to Sky they are telling me that its my B+O phone but why when it worked fine when the line rental was with BT but wont work now its switched to Sky? Anyone else had similar problems this is driving me mad and has cost me over 70 buying new batteries and phones.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: phone wont work since switching from bt to sky

The line is still the same a before it's just that Sky are now billing you, it's still on the BT network.

Either there is an exchange fault or the phone is broken and it is just a coincedence, you could try the phone at another premesis to be sure.

paigntonlad is offline Banned
      Exchange: paignton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

im sorry but that is wrong smithy99.
      i had exactly the same problem.
      it took me 3 months of fighting with sky to get it resolved.
      what was the problem? sky, surprise surprise, was the problem.
      instead of sky sending a work order to bt openreach to connect my line to them, they simply sent a termination notice!!!
      it was as simple as that.
      and i only found that out after ofcom looked into it for me!!!

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The line isn't terminated, the OP states he gets line dial tone but a lot of interference. As has been stated when you change to sky line rental there is no physical change requested at the exchange so unless a BT engineer has had to change the tie pair to do something else (it has been known for tie pairs to be moved if an engineer is trying to sort an issue out for another customer) then something else has gone wrong.
      OP if you have a bog standard corded phone (El Cheapo from Argooos) and still get issues then it's a line fault and sky talk tech need to escalate it.

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      OP if you have a bog standard corded phone (El Cheapo from Argooos) and still get issues then it's a line fault and sky talk tech need to escalate it.
      But trying to convince them to do so is likely to be the problem (because Sky has to pay Openreach to do the work).

Even more annoying is that you'll probably have to phone during the day and that's no longer an inclusive call so it's 5p/minute trying to report a fault!
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paigntonlad View Post
      im sorry but that is wrong smithy99.
      It's not wrong, Sky do not own any telephone equipment, they just take over the rental side of things and then pay BT a wholesale rate, it's still BT's equipment and no work has to be done on it to get the Sky line rental.

Quote Originally Posted by paigntonlad View Post
      i had exactly the same problem
      You did not have the same problem, your line was terminated in error according to you, his line still works, just badly, chances are it is an unrelated fault in either the exchange, cabinet or pole or the cheapo phone is stuffed

paigntonlad is offline Banned
      Exchange: paignton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

a terminated line, atleast in mycase, still had crackles and static. i thought it was my phone first 2.

macbeth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bamblolo View Post
      Hi There wondered if anyone could help. I have previously been with BT for my line rental and sky talk for my calls and broadband everything was working fine no problems. I then decided to switch my line rental to sky as well and since then my phone will not work. My phone is a Bang and Olufsen Beocom 6000 at first i thought it might have been my phone but i have replaced the battery tried just plugging in the phone and nothing. I then went out and bought a cheap phone where i did get a line but had lots of interference. After numerous calls to Sky they are telling me that its my B+O phone but why when it worked fine when the line rental was with BT but wont work now its switched to Sky? Anyone else had similar problems this is driving me mad and has cost me over 70 buying new batteries and phones.
      I can see two ways to try and find out if its a line issue or a phone issue. You can try take your phone to someone else house where the line is clear and if you plug in your phone and it is still clear the phone works ok. So long there is nothing else plug into the phone sockets and your in the master socket if no test socket or test socket at your home, it points out that their a fault is from the phone plate or the line outside and an engineer is required. Or try a phone that works fine from friends line in yours with nothing else plugged in in master or test socket.

Or the other option is to have an openreach engineer to look at it.

Its your choose how you wish to fix it, but beware if the fault is not on the master socket if no test socket, test socket or on the line, you will be charge for the callout. If you have test socket and works fine and plug into main faceplate and it plays up. It is class as as non phone line fault and is not covered by sky.

I hope one way or another you manage to get to the root of the cause and get it all fix out.