Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Talk and BT evening and weekend plan

This is a discussion on Sky Talk and BT evening and weekend plan within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Today I phoned BT to find out when I could revert to Sky Talk as I am on a twelve ...

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD DRX890W
      Thanks

Sky Talk and BT evening and weekend plan

Today I phoned BT to find out when I could revert to Sky Talk as I am on a twelve month contract with BT for the UK Evening and weekends calls package. The person I spoke to told me that I can actually have both at the same time which surprised me.

Apparently the calls are all routed through Sky Talk unless you dial 1280 first in which case they go via BT. This is good because BT now offer free calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers for up to an hour in length evening and weekends on this contract.

Can anyone confirm if this is actually true as I want to have Sky Talk so that my BB doesn't double in price on the first of March?

2. Advertisement
      Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Re: Sky Talk and BT evening and weekend plan

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
      Today I phoned BT to find out when I could revert to Sky Talk as I am on a twelve month contract with BT for the UK Evening and weekends calls package. The person I spoke to told me that I can actually have both at the same time which surprised me.

Apparently the calls are all routed through Sky Talk unless you dial 1280 first in which case they go via BT. This is good because BT now offer free calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers for up to an hour in length evening and weekends on this contract.

Can anyone confirm if this is actually true as I want to have Sky Talk so that my BB doesn't double in price on the first of March?
      You were told wrong. If you go to Sky Talk, you will not be able to use the 1280 prefix to make calls via BT (see THIS other thread on the subject).
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Bryan
      HI Don`t Worry about 0845 and 0870 there are sites so as not to use those numbers one is. Hope this has been of some help

SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers

Steve

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD DRX890W
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Bryan
      HI Don`t Worry about 0845 and 0870 there are sites so as not to use those numbers one is. Hope this has been of some help

SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers

Steve
      Thanks I do already use that website but I have often found numbers that there are no alternatives for.. :-(

Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Thanks

Anyone know how much would those with BT line rental and Sky Talk WCLI using the 'free Caller Display and/or basic 1571' workaround (a BT Chargecard) pay for 0845 and 0870 calls?

youreds91 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hucknall
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post

Well, I am in the same boat as you. Just rang Sky to get back on Skytalk & the guy seemed to know what he was on about. Asked me who I was with & said BT would charge 2.99 per month for breaking the contract. Although he said the contract requires you to make a certain number of calls, so I'm wondering if the Chargecard loophole will work. I'll be doing this to get free caller display.

Thanks

2.99/month to breach BT contract?

Quote Originally Posted by youreds91 View Post
      Just rang Sky to get back on Skytalk & the guy seemed to know what he was on about. Asked me who I was with & said BT would charge 2.99 per month for breaking the contract.
      ?

Sounds like BS to me.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 2.99/month to breach BT contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
      ?

Sounds like BS to me.
      I think you're right, but the Sky guy was in a way advising me against going back on Sky talk. I've gone through BT's T&Cs & can't find anything saying I'll have to pay is I go to another carrier. All I found was this, which is a bit contadictory.

Quote Originally Posted by BT
      Call charges for BT Telephony Calling Plans

26. The prices for calls to UK local and national numbers beginning with 01, 02 and 03 (not including calls to the Channel Islands, internet service providers or facsimile lines) depend on your choice of Calling Plan and the time period in which you make the call. The charge for first hour of calls made during the:

* evening with Unlimited Weekend Plan have a fixed rate of 1.468 pence per minute and during the weekend have a fixed rate of 0 pence;
      * evening and weekend with Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan have a fixed rate of 0 pence; and
      * daytime, evening and weekend with the Unlimited Anytime Plan have a fixed rate of 0 pence.

If you take the Unlimited Weekend Plan you must make at least 1 chargeable call per month with BT.
      No mention of the evening & weekend plan & chargeable calls.

Worst case scenario is that BT charge me the 2.65(?) a month for the 9 remaining months of the contract, which is less than the 5 extra for Sky BB. Most of my calls are inclusive & I avoid 0870/0845 like the plague, so no concerns about Sky's ludicrous rates to those.

Thanks

He may have been trying to say that, although you have your line rental with BT and are committed to their Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan, you could also have Sky Talk CPS (WCLI actually) on the line (i.e. you wouldn't have to break the calls plan contract with BT, it would just continue, unused, alongside).

The trouble with that is that you would not then be able to make the necessary number of calls via BT to qualify for free Caller Display and/or basic 1571.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
      He may have been trying to say that, although you have your line rental with BT and are committed to their Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan, you could also have Sky Talk CPS (WCLI actually) on the line (i.e. you wouldn't have to break the calls plan contract with BT, it would just continue, unused, alongside).

The trouble with that is that you would not then be able to make the necessary number of calls via BT to qualify for free Caller Display and/or basic 1571.
      I have just got the chargecard & will be using that for my qualifying calls, so back to Sky it is.