Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BT vs Sky - How much could you save?

This is a discussion on BT vs Sky - How much could you save? within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; From our news section . A few days ago, one of our members Nigelh posted in our Sky Talk forums, ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

BT vs Sky - How much could you save?

From our news section.

A few days ago, one of our members Nigelh posted in our Sky Talk forums, an interesting piece of news regarding BT and their (on face value) scrapping of 0870 and 0845 numbers.

Naturally, we wanted to see what this would mean for those of us who use BT as a telephony provider compared to Sky and their alternative offering Sky Talk.

We have uncovered the following facts, which greatly reduce the ‘perceived’ value of BT’s so called grand gesture.
      • BT lost 931,000 residential telephony customers in the 12 months ending September 2008. If we compare this to Sky, Sky Talk gained 682,000 customers.
      • ‘Free’ calls to 0845 / 0870 are tied to BT customers’ inclusive minutes. Outside of these inclusive minutes, BT would still charge you for calls to 0870 numbers: http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...onalprices.pdf
      • Only those of us paying £4.85 per month for BT Anytime would actually benefit from free 0870 calls during the day time. (Less than 10% of BT customers actually take BT Anytime)
      • So the rest of BT’s customers would still be paying for daytime calls to 0870 and the vast majority of calls made to 0870 numbers are made during the day. This could be from work and using your employer’s telephone bill to do so.

SkyUser have made a comparison between BT and Sky and both their equivalent services below. When you weigh up the recent news from BT, there are some serious savings to be made, just from taking Sky Talk over staying with BT.
      • BT’s ‘Broadband Option 1’ (up to 8Mb) plus ‘Unlimited Evening and Weekend Plan’ (unlimited evening and weekend calls including line rental): £18.95 for three months and then £25.92 after with an 18 month contract = £445.65
      • ‘Sky Broadband Mid’ (up to 8mb) and ‘Sky Talk Freetime’ (unlimited free evening and weekend calls), and ‘Sky Talk’ line rental: £15 a month = £295 over 18 months (including all connection fees).

So as you can see, providing you don’t use 0870 or 0845 numbers too often, you could actually save yourself £150.65 over 18 months or in layman’s terms £8.37 a month. And even then, if you do use 0870 numbers, you could always save yourself some more money, by using SayNoTo0870 to find any alternative local rate numbers.

The recent news from BT can now be seen in a completely different light. It could be construed that BT are actually offering this, to help slow down the loss of their customers to other providers.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. Advertisement
      Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Re: BT vs Sky - How much could you save?

It's just a bit of a publicity stunt really!
      BTs domestic customer base is shrinking at an alarming rate, and will now shrink even faster, thanks to the credit crunch!
      I was a BT user with their 'Option 3' paying £23.99 pm month plus £11.50 land line. However, my main reason for moving from them was their appalling customer service. My reason for choosing Sky over the rest was price, and that, I was already a customer.
      Had BT had good customer service I would probably (credit crunch?) have still been with them!
      Incidently my last months phone bill was £3 and that was all 0870 and 0845 numbers!

This latest 'gimmick' is just a sprat to catch a mackeral. The savings are not real unless you have the full phone package with them. And even then, they may not be acheived unless you increase your usage of these numbers.

0845s and 0870s are the scourge of BT and they should be chopping them out. They make less money from them than a normal call but the big advantage is that they are 'revenue sharing' with the company that holds the number.
      The real reason companies use these numbers is to lever extra revenue from their customer base. Who ever heard of paying a company to report a fault!

Good luck BT, but you 'lost the plot' years ago!
      Last edited by Ned Ludd; 14-01-09 at 05:32 PM.
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

I posted this originally, as I know that several members are still with BT, at the end I pointed out that 0844 numbers are not included, and as most 0870 numbers are now 0844, it is only the cheaper 0845 that is really affected. It is a publicity stunt rather than a cost saver, and perhaps an attempt to drag people back. I was lucky enough to avoid their annual contract but I know that others weren't.

Whilst Sky aren't perfect, if they were this excellent site would have no reason to be, there phone package works just as well as BT's, on average the customer service wait time is half that of BT's and you have a better chance of a UK call centre. I would imagine that BT's customer base has reduced even more over the last 3 months.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Newsreader's comparison calculation may be real but is extreme. Many of us have BT for line rental and different suppliers for calls and for internet.

Other calls providers may be cheaper than BT and, I suspect, virtually ALL ISPs are!

With BT line rental and any other calls suppliers, BT charge £2 per month for the 1571 service. I will be moving my calls back to BT soon to save the £2 and to get free 0845 and 0890 calls at the weekend. Most of my weekday calls are either free (using the same callco at both ends) or are made using 18185 or 1899. I expect to pay 20p per month more for calls and save £2 per month on 1571. I will save something (but not much) on 0870 and 0845 calls because I make few of them and try to find an alternative through saynoto0870.com.

I would still not transfer calls and rental to Sky.

Regards,

Felix

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Newsreader's comparison calculation may be real but is extreme. Many of us have BT for line rental and different suppliers for calls and for internet.
      My comparison was to try and show that the BT offer was not all, what it was cracked up to be, and also encourage discussion on how people could actually save money.

Hence why I put the saynoto0870 reference, as I feel that Sky are a little expensive on these. Just to balance it out.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Isn't the reason that many companies have changed to 0844 numbers, the fact that 0870 calls are now charged at a much lower rate, similar to 0845? If so, BT really aren't giving much away. The biggest cost now is 0844 numbers. These don't appear to be included. I agree that saynoto0870 is a great web site, I use it regularly to get the fixed line number before calling.

murdock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The moneysavingexpert newsletter says there has been a "partial victory"
      for saynoto0870.

also this:
      "Those who get a BT line rental bill, but use another company (e.g. Primus) for calls,
      may be able to route them via BT by first dialling 1280; BT's basic package includes
      free weekend calls, so this can get you 0870s free."

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

BT are indeed desparate, they decided to burn their bridges by charging me £60 when I left as a "leaving fee" when I moved broadband even though I had been with them over 2 years.

Now they are sending me a begging letter to come back to them with a big glossy brouchure and every reason why they are better than any ISP makes me laugh as they don't match up to Sky or O2.

They have indeed lost the plot and the only reason I don't move line rental as I don't get enough savings to make up for any potential pitfalls if I need to have an engineer out, I don't want to play merry go round with suppliers.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

sterlingtimes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Berkswell
      Broadband ISP: Zen
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So much in terms of savings depends upon personal profile.

To telephone my mother in the Canary Islands for one hour on Saturday would cost me £14 using BT and £0 using Sky.

I used to use Telediscount with BT but that didn't always provide a quality connection.

For me the savings are substantial.

sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Thanks

Just had a letter of BT saying they are going to make the 0845 and 0870 numbers free

What a laugh then they say it for only Evenings & Weekends

Who rings 0845-0870 in the Evenings?

Not many people myself its only during the day if i have to ring them numbers
      and most of the time i go to the Say No Website and find a normal number

But i think the Biggest laugh at the bottm of the letting is
      We are making a few changes to
      and saying they are putting there line rental up by a £1 month

And then right at the End it say's start saving LOL

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast