Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Switching from BT to SkyTalk/Sky Line Rental

This is a discussion on Switching from BT to SkyTalk/Sky Line Rental within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Reading some right horror stories on here - quite concerning. Anyway, on with the question... Following recent information in the ...

pmfrench is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Switching from BT to SkyTalk/Sky Line Rental

Reading some right horror stories on here - quite concerning. Anyway, on with the question...

Following recent information in the post that the BB charges were going up unless I switch to SkyTalk I decided to make the switch. At the same time I decided to switch to Sky for the line rental as well. I must admit I never read into it as much as I should have done but we'll see.

I get the letter from BT saying "Sorry I'm leaving etc" and in the letter was an estimated closing statement which had a figure on it FIVE TIMES what my normal bill is (110 compared to roughly 20). So my main question, can anyone was has made this switch comment on whether or not thet faced large termination charges or whether there closing statement was roughly the same. Like most people I don't really read small print but I was wondering whether these charges are documented anywhere.

Cheers

Paul

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Switching from BT to SkyTalk/Sky Line Rental

Have you got a rolling contract with BT for a call plain? The payment may be to pay off the remainder.

pmfrench is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is my problem, I don't know. I probably like many people out there who pay enough attention to what they are paying. I'll phone BT - it'll probably be easier. If I can avoid all this by staying with them then I'll do it. If I have to pay 100 it's going to take a year (possibly more) to get the benefits of moving over to Sky.

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

I recently moved from BT to Sky for my rental, and got a 70p refund, it would seem likely therefore that you are tied into a 12 month contract with BT. When they launched their new call plans a while ago did you change onto one of those? I was only ever on option 1 with them, even after I moved my calls to Sky some 18 months ago. I have read lots of horror stories on here, personally my move went through very smoothly, and to date no problems.

heyho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0113
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Read my thread on this subject.

My original disucssions with BT over a 130+ closing down fee went through their India call centre. I got no where.

I then put a complaint in to Ofcom (my argument was that BT had never told me how much it was going to be to colse it down, which is true) who were good but said they couldn't do anything. BUT they gave me reference number and a special UK Bt number that deals with Ofcom complaints. They were really nice and I ended up having the outstanding balance rescinded plus I got 38 refund (which was nice!)

Apparently Ofcom are in discussions with the telecomms firms over these charges.