Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Phone/BB Issue

This is a discussion on Phone/BB Issue within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all. I have searched and found a few problems but no solutions so hopefully starting this new thread can ...

SniperMonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Everything
      Thanks

Phone/BB Issue

Hi all.

I have searched and found a few problems but no solutions so hopefully starting this new thread can help me and a few others.

Basically, a family member phoned me an hour ago and we chatted on the phone for 10 minutes when all of a sudden, he dissapeared. It's as if he was cut off and the phone was still in a call, got that noise ya know.

Everytime I try and call out I get a noise but no dial tone and when I call here I get the number busy notification on my mobile.

My broadband went off too for a while, approximately 10 minutes and then came back on at 256k so I rebooted the router and it upgraded the firmware from 1.5 to 1.9 and I am still getting the slow speed, see below:

Firmware Version 1.9Sky
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023o.d20h
      Modem Status Up
      DownStream Connection Speed 256
      UpStream Connection Speed 736
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Now I have phone sky about a dozen times, each time getting through to someone who has no clue who transfers me to the relevant department thus cutting me off, I cannot afford a massive mobile bill phoning Sky. If I phone from work I will not be home to do anything they might want me to do.

I normally get about 3.5mb downstream which is great but now 256 is not good enough and I don't know what to do.

I have tried a different router and got the same speed, I have changed ALL the ADSL splitters in the house, I have tested all the sockets, I have used a corded phone on all the sockets and all the test sockets, Sky tell me there is nothing wrong when clearly there is.

I am at wits end.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Phone/BB Issue

Do you get dial tone when only the phone is on the line? If not then it's possibly a line fault and you need to talk to the company you pay line rental to. Who do you pay line rental to, are you on sky talk, do you have a test socket you can plug the phone directly into for testing and have you reported the telephony fault yet? If not you need to.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No - I don't get a dial tone at all anywhere in the house.

Yes - I am on Sky Talk and I pay my line rental to them.

Yes - I do have a test socket which I have tried.

Yes - I have reported the fault to sky who tell me there is nothing wrong with the line.

My modem doesn't even sync up at my normal speed, this time its:

DownStream Connection Speed 352
      UpStream Connection Speed 736

Thanks

hughesey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01283
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sorry for long rant, but we've been having same problems this wkend. got home friday after work, no broadband light, so i just pressed the reset button, after a few seconds, still had the flashing yellow/amber light, tried again n again, thought something was up, picked fone up to ring them, no dial tone, thought sod it for now, i was going out anyway so didnt really hav time mess about too much, assumed all would be ok the next morning, anyway, saturday comes, the mrs rings up, gets through to some punk, they say all is fine, nothing is wrong with the line, they do this and that down the line, and say, if its something wrong within your home you have to pay, BT normally charge 170 or sumat, she was like err..... excuse me, dont thinkso, if its outside ur home it will be our cost, he said there was nothing he could do now, so had to leave it, he said a BT engineer would get hold of us on monday before lunchtime - they rang this morning and said all is fine, someone up our road had something done and its messed something up but all will be find when u get home 2nite, so basically when i get in 2nite, we shud be ok, we'll see.... if i reply later to this u'll see its working. what is weird tho' - yesterday afternoon, i noticed we had a solid amber light, so i bombed upstairs and it worked??? was very slow, but it worked, picked up the fone, but still no dial tone, then eventually it went back offline, very weird? then same thing again happened later at night, but stayed on a little longer, and was a little bit faster....??? anyway, i dont care, providing its all ok 2nite!!! PS, we aint paying a thing - its not our fault! so i will report back when i can.
      Regards, Hughesey
      Speedtest @ home:-

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, spoke to SKy again and they still insist there is nothing wrong.

STILL no dial tone.

STILL super slow internet.

They bettr sort it fast.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

The main thing is the dial tone at the moment.

Do you get a dial tone with the ADSL cable unplugged from the filter (test socket preferable) ?

What sort of noise do you get when you lift the handset ?

Try calling your number with all the equipment disconnected from the mobile, what do you get then ?

Thanks

sorry for my slow reply, my BB seems to be working fine, got home that monday night, our BB light was on, so i tried it, seems to be back to normal speed... so thats good. but, our phones still playing up, we pick up fone, hav a dial tone, half way through typing a number, the restriction msg comes up, my partner spent about an hour n half last nite on the fone to Sky, first 2 times she got through to someone, went through all the cr4p, then put thru to someone else... then they'd transfer her to someone else again then it would go dead after a couple of mins, 2 times all that happened, we ended up giving up in the end.
      Regards, Hughesey

Thanks

realised last night our dialup tone is now back, the mrs threatened them n said she'd report them to ofcom (this was on saturday afternoon), yesterday it was all working fine!
      Regards, Hughesey