Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Talk help required

This is a discussion on Sky Talk help required within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello everyone this is my first post and I hope somebody will be able to assist me with a problem. ...

Norn-Iron is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 028
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Talk help required

Hello everyone this is my first post and I hope somebody will be able to assist me with a problem. I am actually posting on behalf of my retired father as he does not have access to the internet as being set in his ways and old fashioned and not gadget minded (in a sense)

He has been a loyal SKY customer for donkeys, since I was young anyhow and had his phone with BT. Both of which have been working fine. However he had ben getting post from Sky in regards to Sky's See Speak Surf combination and decided to go get trnasferred to this. He rang Sky up and did everything over the phone and was getting his line rental paid via Sky as well. He has been with Sky talk now for around 1 week, but just this morning his phone line has went dead and if I ring from my mobile I get a "Welcome to the messaging service...." message stating the line is busy when in fact it isnt. He rang Sky and was on hold for ages but when he finally got talking to someone they said that they tested his phone line from their end and it seems OK and then proceeded to read out a large statement about costs he would incur if a Sky engineer calls out to the hosue and the fault is found to be inside the house, this he said the customer services person he spoke to had to read out. My father woudlnt be the mpst hi tec when it comes to the interent or anything like that so this has all got him in a tizzy. The customer services person said it could be up to 5 days or more before someone can call out.

Can I ask if any of you have experienced anything similar, also should he possibly have had to do something in regards to BT or does SKY does this as part of their package? Or is there anything he can do to eliminate a fault in the house, although I find this strange that the week he transfers to Skytalk the line decides to go dead.

He and my mother are woried ot as my grandmother who is 90 years old still lives alone but has a beeper around her neck which she presses incase of an emegency and this too is linked to the existing telephone number, so they are worried incase something happens.

One last thing if he does have to ring Sky again is there a direct line he can phone to deal with line faults?

I really would appreciate any input or help any of you may be able to share as he is in a bad state at the minute with worry.

Many thanks!
      Roger
      Last edited by Norn-Iron; 11-10-08 at 05:23 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Sidi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01554
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Talk help required

I've not had any problems myself with Sky Talk, but from experience having worked in the comms industry the fault is not going to be in the house so this call out fee will not be applied. They just read that out to cover themselves, normally if there is a fault within the house it's because somebody has drilled through the line, knocked something against the socket or had some other work done close to the line. As long as your confident that nothing has changed then there is a 99% chance that the fault is with Sky.

BT also have the same clause, I did have a problem with my line around 3 years ago when they told me I'd be charged and told me over the phone 'we think the problem is in the house since there's no fault on the exchange'. I told them to come out anyway and the fault was just outside the house where the line went down the pole and had been flooded. I wasn't charged for that and the same would have applied should it have been Sky or any other provider.

Squiddley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I hope you ring them again, as there is now a recorded message saying they are aware of the problem affecting a number of their members.

This is not the first time this has happened, but it's been all day now, last time was only a few hours.

I have an idea what's going on, but does anyone know for sure? Only it is a bit odd that I still have (Sky's) internet, but no calls in or out.

agedmcse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01376
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,
      I have Sky Talk including line rental and am having a problem regarding intermittant dial tone. Does anyone know the number I should call?

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by agedmcse View Post
      Hi,
      I have Sky Talk including line rental and am having a problem regarding intermittant dial tone. Does anyone know the number I should call?
      intermittant as in a short dial tone followed by a short pause, repeated, or sometimes there, sometimes not?

If it's the first you have a 1571 message waiting! If the second ring CS on 08442 414 141 after reading the Troubleshooting advice.