Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broadband working but no dial tone

This is a discussion on Broadband working but no dial tone within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; We have Sky Talk for but the calls and line rental. However for the last few days we've not had ...

ZooMusicGirl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Broadband working but no dial tone

We have Sky Talk for but the calls and line rental.
      However for the last few days we've not had any dial tone on our line so are unable to receive or make any calls. The weird thing is that when I phone our home line (using my mobile) it goes to the Sky voicemail service.
      Our Sky TV recognises that the phone line isn't working.
      But our Sky Broadband is working absolutely fine.

We phoned Sky and they couldn't find a fault on the line, they say it should be working fine. I've tried all the usual things of testing the phones, using the test socket but still no dial tone.

Sky have offered to send out an engineer but have said that if the fault is ours then it will cost us 99 for the call-out and 60 per hour for the engineer. I'm pretty sure that it isn't a fault on our part but I'm reluctant to okay the engineer as I fear we'd get charged whatever the fault.
      I would cancel my Sky Talk and go back to BT but I've just noticed on their website that if you don't currently have a 'working' phone line, it could cost 126 for reconnection.

I'm really not sure what to do and would be grateful for any advice.
      Thanks,
      Vicki

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Broadband working but no dial tone

If you have plugged a phone into the test socket and still not got a dial tone then it cannot be your fault, unless you have damaged the line or the socket.

Ring them and get an engineer out, it will be a BT engineer, not a Sky one.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks.
      My concern is just that if it turns out to be a problem with the socket then we're likely to be charged. We've not done anything to the socket or the line but .....if there's a way to charge us, I can't help but feel that we will be.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can you get hold of a phone you know works or test your phone in someone elses telephone line socket? If so that will prove wether your phone is causing the issue or not, if it works elsewhere but not in your test socket then you should have little to worry about.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you for the advice.
      After speaking to the Sky technical advisor for about the 5th time today (at least he kept phoning me as opposed me having to phone Sky). He managed to test the line again and could finally confirm it was their fault. Phew, panic over.
      Thanks

hughesey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01283
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

did they say what it actually was by any chance? we're having the same problems now, and they're saying its not their fault!!
      Regards, Hughesey
      Speedtest @ home:-

Exchange:
      Thanks

No sorry they didn't say what the problem eventually was.
      We had to speak to the same Sky Talk 'Technical advisor' numerous times over several days and each time he'd say that he was testing the line at his end and that no fault on the line was showing.
      On the last time we spoke to the advisor, me and my husband had both agreed that the fault was highly unlikely to be on our end so we'd take the risk and agree to have an engineer come out (at a possible cost of 100+) but it just so happened that during our last call, when the advisor was testing the line again, he suddenly got very excited and shouted "It's coming up with a fault!".
      After that our phone line was back up and running within several hours and we didn't even have to see an engineer.

I think these faulty lines are very, very rarely down to the customer. I think Sky should be a lot more open with that rather than making the situation so much more stressful than it ought to be. Best of luck with getting the problem resolved, unfortunately I think just persevering with Sky seems to be the answer to getting the fault recognised on their part.

zshamsi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

nothing to worry, it happened to me twice last week and both times the Talk support team ran a diagnostic and told me that its coming up as an exchange fault which they are going to fix soon. Good thing they diverted the calls to my mobile in the mean time and within 10-12 hours phone tone came back. I think they are doing some upgrade these days. The 99/- and 60/- stories are standard statments, you know
      cheers...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

had the same thing a couple of years ago with BT, phone completely dead yet we had normal broadband, got the same old "we can't detect a fault" with BT

In the end we said we'd pay for an engineer and after having to wait 5 days one appears and lo and behold it was an exchange fault.

He told me thats the fault detection system just looks at equipment voltages (which is what the Sky box modem does as well) and not if the equipment actually works, so it throws up a large amount of false negatives.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think 99 times out of 100 if your Broadband is working and your phone isn't, then it is an exchange fault. The other one is when you phone is faulty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast