Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Broadband working but no dial tone

This is a discussion on Broadband working but no dial tone within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I know it's an old thread but .. same problem here - no dialtone, incoming calls ring and present CallerID ...

Kempshott is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Broadband working but no dial tone

I know it's an old thread but .. same problem here - no dialtone, incoming calls ring and present CallerID but just noise when you anwser. Another interesting symptom is that the Sky router reports normal downstream speed (around 2mb) but only 56kb upstream.

I called CS three days ago and the rep said his line test kept hanging. Said he'd keep trying and call us if it didn't show a fault, BT otherwise. Haven't had any response and phone line still down.
      "Contact us by email" just returns the standard email response with a link to their useless help pages (yes I'd already tried another phone and the test socket) and the CS phone number to call otherwise.

We're very tempted to switch line rental back to BT after this nonsense.
      Kempshott

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kempshott View Post
      I know it's an old thread but .. same problem here - no dialtone, incoming calls ring and present CallerID but just noise when you anwser. Another interesting symptom is that the Sky router reports normal downstream speed (around 2mb) but only 56kb upstream.

I called CS three days ago and the rep said his line test kept hanging. Said he'd keep trying and call us if it didn't show a fault, BT otherwise. Haven't had any response and phone line still down.
      "Contact us by email" just returns the standard email response with a link to their useless help pages (yes I'd already tried another phone and the test socket) and the CS phone number to call otherwise.

We're very tempted to switch line rental back to BT after this nonsense.
      Call back onto the WLR/SVBN guys again. Get them to re-run the line test, check the outcome and take it from there. Have you tried a corded phone into the test socket to confirm the same symptoms exist whilst in the test socket?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Call back onto the WLR/SVBN guys again.
      Will do. Are there any current landline (not 0844) numbers that work? Those calls are free from my mobile.

Have you tried a corded phone into the test socket to confirm the same symptoms exist whilst in the test socket?
      Yes.
      Kempshott

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

You can try looking up SKY on Say No To 0870.
      Does phoning 150 from your land line get you through to them or is it completely dead?

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      You can try looking up SKY on Say No To 0870.
      Does phoning 150 from your land line get you through to them or is it completely dead?
      I had tried a couple but they go to a recorded message saying the number's no longer in use and to use the 0844 one. I think they change them once they get publicised.
      100, 150 or 1280 do nothing.

I finally cracked, called CS on the 0844 no. and was told there is a line fault which they passed it to BT yesterday. Wish they'd told me ... they have my mobile no. and email address.
      Kempshott

Squiddley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Again, sorry for ressurecting an old thread, but this is an ongoing issue for me also.

I've been getting the same problems for four months now and it's really beginning to annoy me finally.

I use a speaker phone and it has apparently destroyed three already. These are good phones and all different makes/models.

Phone dead, no one can contact me, but I still have broadband access. When the phone is removed and tested in a neighbors hourse, the phone is dead.

I cannot believe four phones are all faulty, in exactly the same way, so what is going on? Sky said they would ring me back, but I've heard nothing from them for over 24 hours.

BT Openreach have already been here and tested things, but everything tested as perfect.

then last night I got two clues that might be significant to someone who knows more than I do about telephone electronics.

The phone went dead again, but this time I noticed the red light that lights up when there is an incomming call was on, but only at half brightness. I don't know about phones specifically, but in normal analoge electronics whenever I've seen that, it has usually meant there is AC on the DC voltage, or the Earth is floating above it's normal referance point (usually zero volts).

The second clue came with being able to get my line back by "loading" it. I put an extension cord into the socket and connected a second phone. This is a really old one and by repeatedly picking up the handset on it, while doing the same on the speakerphone, I got the speakerphone working again.

So if you are having problems getting a connection, try adding a second phone if you have one as a temporary fix, it might work for you also?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12