Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

1280 to no longer work even if you pay BT for line rental

This is a discussion on 1280 to no longer work even if you pay BT for line rental within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by Godspeed Do you need to have sky talk to be able to get the broadband package at ...

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: 1280 to no longer work even if you pay BT for line rental

Quote Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
      Do you need to have sky talk to be able to get the broadband package at 5/10??

It's always advertised as see/speak/surf or whatever so I wondered if you dropped the talk option and went somewhere else (BT) they are in their rights not to offer broadband at the current price?

Any ideas?

Cheers

G
      I don't have (nor do I ever intend to have) Sky Talk but I've got Sky Broadband Mid at 5. Does that answer your question?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

2. Advertisement
      Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

If I am reading the BT article correctly, it is Sky that are blocking 1280, not BT. If this is the case, will it still be possible to use other CPS Services via Sky talk? Also, are Sky able in circumstances where they are not providing the line rental to impose such a restriction on their customers? If this is the case, I will move my call package If I agree to a 12 month contract with BT it is effectively the same price. The only additional cost being if I have to call Sky.

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelh View Post
      If I am reading the BT article correctly, it is Sky that are blocking 1280, not BT. If this is the case, will it still be possible to use other CPS Services via Sky talk?
      No, no other line provider permits CPS calls providers on its lines (BT is required to do so).
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply, forgive me seeming dense, but if as I have, you use BT for the line rental, and Sky for calls, services such as 18185 will also no longer work. If this is the case, it's time to move my calls. I don't (or haven't in over a year) call internationally, we rarely ring mobiles, and use saynoto 0870 to find landline numbers. Unless anyone has a better suggestion, it's back to BT @ 4.95.

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelh View Post
      Thanks for the quick reply, forgive me seeming dense, but if as I have, you use BT for the line rental, and Sky for calls, services such as 18185 will also no longer work.
      If they can 'bar' 1280, it may well be that they can do the same with 18185 and the like. But that's not known as yet.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I dont agree with the 1.50 for having a paper bill. I mean does it really cost them 1.50 a month (so 4.50 a quarter) to print off 4 sheets of paper showing your bill and sending it you? No it doesnt.
      A penny for paper, same again for toner, and then postage at a max cost of 38p. Man hours required? non, as its all automated....

So that 4.10 a quarter sheer profit for sending you a paper bill. Why discriminate against us for wanting to keep a close eye and control over our outgoings?

Sorry, took the thread off track there, but the mention of paper charge made my blood boil.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

LyndyLou is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rayleigh (EARAY)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Below is the reply I received from sky when asking them to confirm that I could no longer use the prefix 1280 to route a call through BT. I pay BT for my line rental. If what they say is correct perhaps it is only if you pay Sky your line rental that you can no longer put calls through BT. Unfortunately as they took over 2 weeks to reply to my enquiry I have taken my calls away from them and put them back to BT so I am unable to check whether what they are saying is correct. Perhaps someone else who only pays for their calls to sky can confirm whether they can still put their calls through BT.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mrs xxxxxxxxxxxx
      Customer Account Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your email regarding your calls charges.

I can advise that you can still direct your calls through BT by using the dialling prefixes.

Please note that we will only bill you for the calls made on the Sky Talk package without a dialling prefix.

Should you require any further assistance please contact the above email address and I will be happy to help.

Yours sincerely

Eryn McCabe
      Customer Relations Team
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Broadband
      Router: Plusnet Hub Zero 2704n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I've done exactly the same.....we aim to get back to you within the next 11 days.....they just can't be serious can they?

This is yet another in a long line of customer relations disasters Sky have inflicted upon themselves. First there was the transfer to their new email sytem, then there was DLM and now this latest fiasco with 1280 (and I'm still not convinced what they have done is totally legal!).

Not once have they even they had the courtesy to inform their paying customers what they are doing and why!

My feeling now is that Sky can no longer be trusted to act in a fair and reasonable manner or to treat their customers with any respect whatsoever.

I will now be seeking to place all my business elsewhere at the earliest opportunity. Do they honestly think we're all totally stupid?

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

Hi,

At the moment, I have Sky Talk Unlimited phone package BT phone line - Unlimited UK Weekend Plan (previously BT Together Option 1). Unfortunately, its true!! I just called Sky using 01506 421884 number roughly 20mins ago to ask them about the 1280 option.

Yup, Sky has confirmed it, as they said it as follows: "Sky has now completely stopped doing the 1280 BT Override Code, as its offering totally different phone packages."

But, my family & I love this combination phone package setup. But I don't know what to do, as its my dad's house, he has BT phone line installed from 1973!! Plus, my parents have BT shares from them as well.

Can I go for BT Unlimited UK Evening & Weekend Plan (BT Together Option 2) and still got Sky Talk Unlimited phone package?

That way, I don't have to make 6 chargeable calls (using 1280 code) to get the free caller Display qualify anymore.

Thanks,
      Jonathan.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by youravinalarrrf View Post
      Not once have they even they had the courtesy to inform their paying customers what they are doing and why!
      I had loads of notifications via e-mail and post regarding the change in e-mail, sure, they could have handles the swap over better by doing it in small chunks instead of everone at the same time. It is an improvement on their original e-mail though so I think it was worth it in the end.

Not too sure how the change to SkyTalk will effect me, I don't use the 1280 thingy so I expect it won't

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast