Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help About Sky Talk

This is a discussion on Help About Sky Talk within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi everyone, wondering if you could all help. Recently got billed by BT with what can only be called ridiculous ...

gill07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Help About Sky Talk

Hi everyone, wondering if you could all help.

Recently got billed by BT with what can only be called ridiculous bills, I'm sure I'm not on the phone that long so I'm assuming it was the pence per minute rate which has got me this time.

Desperate to cut anything off my phone bill I've started looking at the Sky Talk offers; as I've found it appears that BT Line Rental is cheaper than Sky's over the quarter; even though Sky is billed monthly.

I'm with BT Together Option 1 now (or whatever it's been renamed as) and would say I only really make a couple of calls to various different businesses during the day/organising appointments and currently use the BestFriend option with BT for a mobile number who I ring frequently.

Could any of the Sky packages be for me, as I haven't really been able to find a great deal about them.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      gill07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Help About Sky Talk

Any help ?

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

okay here goes.

There is no one provider of telephone services that will offer you a great deal and therefore it is important that you look to getting a V4+ orchid dialler from Welcome To Orchid Telecom (UK) (hope it is okay to promote this as I am in no way affiliated with the company).

This dialler once programmed by Orchid or yourself using the interactive programme they give you will allow you to do the following:

1. Have day time 01,02 calls routed through a provider such as 1899 or 18185 that will cost you 5p per call and nothing else.
      2. route 07 mobiles through the same system
      3. route evening calls through Sky if you register with them (do not take line rental or none of this will work) Calls will be free for first 60mins.
      4. route weekend 01,02 calls through BT so that you don't get charged for caller id etc becasue you don't use BT for calls. Calls will be free if only used for 60 min per call.
      5. route international calls through 18185 or equivalent so that you get cheapest deal.
      6. route 0845 and 0870 calls through BT or 18185 depending on time of day.
      7. By adding another set of codes all the 0844 numbers are routed through BT (as cheapest) but the sky 0870 and 0844 customer servies continue to go through the sky network as they are free.

The routing can be done manually with you dialling access numbers but with the complexitey of it spending 15 is worth it. The dialler is simply plugged in between your telephone line and your telephone. Every time you dial a number the dialler picks up the number and decides what to do with it. E.g. put other numbers before it to route it through a different network.

Advantages: Cheapest calls available
      disadvantages: It is a little fiddly to set up but once set up is fine, it involves you keying in what you want the dialler to do.
      You also have up to 3 different phone bills from three different companies as you are routing calls via 18185, Bt and Sky.

The company have a pre-installed heinz set up (made by heinz who visits this forum regularly) but it does not take in to account the settings for Sky users, mainly re-routing the sky customer services so that they always dial through the sky network therefore not getting you charged for the call and routing weekend calls to BT so that you are not charged for caller id and 1571.

It may be worth enquiring about the Heinz set up with orchid-telecom initially and see about tweaking it yourself afterwards. I know they say that if you join the Heinz scheme you cannot amend yourself but they may download it on to the dialler and then unjoin you!

Confusing to write down but I wouldn't turn back now.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gill07 View Post
      Could any of the Sky packages be for me, as I haven't really been able to find a great deal about them.
      Don't even think about using Sky Talk (or handing over your line rental to Sky) - their prices for 0845 and 0870 calls are outrageous now and they also bar the 1280 code so you can't 'hop back onto BT' for calls for which they are cheaper (e.g. 0845 and 0870 calls at certain times).

How long before they find a way to bar 1899, 18185 and 18866 too even though you keep BT line rental?

Please click the HERE link below instead.
      Last edited by Heinz; 10-08-08 at 01:59 PM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I now back Heinz Ihave just chekced my bill and 1280 numbers have not been getting diverted since early July, when did we hear publicly about this, have I missed a mail shot?
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

LyndyLou is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rayleigh (EARAY)
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I have not heard about this either. Just found out today on this site. Will have to move back to BT for calls. Not moving my line rental to SKY for free Caller Display and Answerphone service.

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LyndyLou View Post
      Will have to move back to BT for calls. Not moving my line rental to SKY for free Caller Display and Answerphone service.
      You don't have to move back to BT for your calls - moving to another CPS provider (one which does still allow the 1280 prefix to be used) would be another option.

Please see the HERE link in my signature below for some ideas.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.