Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Results 1 to 9 of 9

    Sky Talk unlimited phone calls

    This is a discussion on Sky Talk unlimited phone calls within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I am on the understanding that calls to australia on sky talk unlimited are free is this true and also ...

    1. #1
      welshie87's Avatar
      welshie87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Neath
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Posts
      13
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Sky Talk unlimited phone calls

      I am on the understanding that calls to australia on sky talk unlimited are free is this true and also can anyone tell me how much phone calls are to mobiles in australia because i aint sure whether these are free or not

      if anyone can help i will be so grateful


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      Heinz's Avatar
      Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Essex
      Posts
      300
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Talk unlimited phone calls

      Quote Originally Posted by welshie87 View Post
      I am on the understanding that calls to australia on sky talk unlimited are free is this true and also can anyone tell me how much phone calls are to mobiles in australia because i aint sure whether these are free or not

      if anyone can help i will be so grateful
      Yes, if you pay Sky an extra 5 per month for their Sky Talk Unlimited package, calls of up to 60 minutes to Australian landlines are 'free' (well, not really free but included).

      Calls to any mobiles (except USA and Canada) are most certainly not free and, although I don't have Sky's price list to hand, I'm certain they'll be pretty expensive.

      If you haven't transferred your line rental to Sky too (i.e. if you still pay your line rental to BT and only use Sky Talk as your CPS calls provider), the best way to call mobiles is to check HERE for the cheapest way to do so and then use the 1280 prefix to force the call to go via BT instead of via Sky.
      Last edited by Heinz; 25-05-08 at 01:25 PM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

    4. #3
      welshie87's Avatar
      welshie87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Neath
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Posts
      13
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Talk unlimited phone calls

      Thanks Heinz im still under contract to BT so no i aint switched to sky line rental and ive heard some horror stories so dont think i will either

      Thanks for your support

    5. #4
      MoCo's Avatar
      MoCo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bournemouth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Not sure which Sagam model
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Posts
      14
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Talk unlimited phone calls

      As a committed Sky Talk Unlimited user I have to say that as I also pay my line rental to Sky I am 100% happy with the service I receive (and I am a previous customer of both BT and Virgin) and by being so save an absolute fortune as in addition to the unlimited subscription being only 5 pm, I telephone Australia at least twice each day.

      I too got all the negative stories about paying line rental to Sky when I changed but it seems many of these are rumours made by non subscribers to the service, albeit probably in good faith. Obviously problems occur with everything but I must speak as I find and not what I hear and it is up to the individual to make thrir own mind up. To sum up 'a cracking service'.
      No signature as no humour allowed by moderators!

    6. #5
      Heinz's Avatar
      Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Essex
      Posts
      300
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Talk unlimited phone calls

      Quote Originally Posted by MoCo View Post
      I too got all the negative stories about paying line rental to Sky when I changed but it seems many of these are rumours made by non subscribers to the service, albeit probably in good faith.
      I am one of those who warns against handing over line rental to Sky (i.e. recommending instead leaving it with BT and just using Sky as a CPS calls provider).

      I do so not because I have any evidence to say that Sky's line rental is inferior (indeed, I acknowledge that it's 50p per month cheaper than BT) but very simply because doing so removes the subscriber's option to route calls via BT (using the 1280 prefix) and via the likes of 18185 for calls for which they are cheaper.

      Following Sky's recent hike in 0845/08970 calls costs (for all except Sky's own numbers), BT and 18185 are cheaper for those calls. Similarly, 18185 is cheaper for calls to UK mobiles.
      Last edited by Heinz; 26-05-08 at 10:00 PM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

    7. #6
      MoCo's Avatar
      MoCo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bournemouth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Not sure which Sagam model
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Posts
      14
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Talk unlimited phone calls

      Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
      I am one of those who warns against handing over line rental to Sky (i.e. recommending instead leaving it with BT and just using Sky as a CPS calls provider).

      I do so not because I have any evidence to say that Sky's line rental is inferior (indeed, I acknowledge that it's 50p per month cheaper than BT) but very simply because doing so removes the subscriber's option to route calls via BT (using the 1280 prefix) and via the likes of 18185 for calls for which they are cheaper.

      Following Sky's recent hike in 0845/08970 calls costs (for all except Sky's own numbers), BT and 18185 are cheaper for those calls. Similarly, 18185 is cheaper for calls to UK mobiles.
      Whilst I understand, and to a point agree with what you say. How much cheaper than FREE can you get? on the assumption that most of us make most of our calls to landlines of one sort or another. The exception perhaps being calls to mobiles but them most people have a deal on their mobile which includes a number of minutes to other networks. But as I said previously, it's all about choice.
      No signature as no humour allowed by moderators!

    8. #7
      creddish's Avatar
      creddish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: THATCHAM
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Posts
      3
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Talk unlimited phone calls

      Quote Originally Posted by MoCo View Post
      Whilst I understand, and to a point agree with what you say. How much cheaper than FREE can you get? on the assumption that most of us make most of our calls to landlines of one sort or another. The exception perhaps being calls to mobiles but them most people have a deal on their mobile which includes a number of minutes to other networks. But as I said previously, it's all about choice.
      But it's not free. It costs 5 per month. Depending on how many calls you make it could be cheaper using indirect service provider such as 18185 if you were not barred from doing so. Although the 5 unlimited geographic calls package may be good value for some users it is not necessary to place your line rental with Sky to get it.

      Colin
      Last edited by creddish; 01-06-08 at 03:35 PM.

    9. #8
      MoCo's Avatar
      MoCo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bournemouth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Not sure which Sagam model
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Posts
      14
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Talk unlimited phone calls

      Quote Originally Posted by creddish View Post
      But it's not free. It costs 5 per month. Depending on how many calls you make it could be cheaper using indirect service provider such as 18185 if you were not barred from doing so. Although the 5 unlimited geographic calls package may be good value for some users it is not necessary to place your line rental with Sky to get it.

      Colin
      Like I said, it's all about choice and it depends whether you're talking about line rental or the 'unlimited' charge. With Virgin UK landline calls are included (I almost said free then!) for the cost of 15 and (unless they've moved the goalposts again) BT include landline calls evenings and weekends for the cost of 11.50, and I've been on both networks in the past. BUT I can make calls 24 hours a day to all UK landlines AND 20 international destinations (most of Europe, USA/Canada (including mobiles) Australia, New Zealand etc) for a fiver (line rental is 10). I have made a like for like comparison on my own useage and reckon I have saved something like 250 in the past six months.

      For quite heavy users (like me) it's great but I accept it many not be for everyone (so it's good thing we have a choice) I just want the best service for the cheapest price.
      No signature as no humour allowed by moderators!

    10. #9
      phobe99's Avatar
      phobe99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Jun 2009
      Posts
      1
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Talk unlimited phone calls

      Hi

      Don't know if anyone can help me, here's hoping. I signed up to the 3 for 26 package back in 2007 and I believe that this price covered some sky channels, the broadband and sky talk unlimited. There has been a slight increase to 26.50 per month which I have been paying up until last month when the price increased to 31.50 (the 5 for unlimited calls is now shown as a seperate charge). What I wondered was if anyone could remember whether the 26 included the 5 unlimited calls. I have tried to call sky to ask why the payments have gone up but they just say that there was never an offer of 3 for 26 which included unlimited calls.

      Any help would be much appreciated

     

     

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2020. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION