Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

adapters for routers/free phone calls

This is a discussion on adapters for routers/free phone calls within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Today we had a phone call that must have been from an India call centre as the callers accent made ...

thorn23 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01392
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

adapters for routers/free phone calls

Today we had a phone call that must have been from an India call centre as the callers accent made it very difficult for me to understand everything he was saying. As far as i could gather he was calling on behalf of Sky. He began by asking to speak to Mr.Thorn (our sky account is in the name of my partner(Miss Thorn),and when I said yes he went into a long spiel about how we were paying x amount for our phone calls and how he was going to send us, completely free, a gizmo to plug into our router (NetgearV1) and that we would be able to have free international calls and free calls to mobiles and save £20 per month on our bills. He said he would be sending the adaptor,the CD, the manual all completely free via citylink to me personally.At this stage i am confused as we are on Talk unlimited and pay £5 per month . I understand that int and mob calls attract some reduced rates....
      He then said that he needed some confirmation and asked for a credit or debit card number. We pay our bill by direct debit so i began to give him my partners debit card number. He didn't want this but a credit card number. All the time he was trying to reassure me that all this was completely free. He told me the call was being recorded for my safety. He asked me to write down some important information which was a helpline number 080000086000 and his name-John- and his number-1290, and the courier,Citylink. He was insisting on credit card confirmation so i gave him the 16digit number from a credit card and then he asked for the end date and then the security 3 figure code on the back of the card . At this point i asked him if this was all free why did he need the credit card details at which he began turning circles with the spiel about what he was offering re free calls, reduced monthly outgoings etc etc. Here i said that i wasn't about to divulge the crdit card info and terminated the call.

So what is happening here? Is it genuine or have i just avoided being scammed? Is sky offering a VOIP service? I'm confused not least because he had such a strong accent and he talked very fast but i do know that if it's free it shouldn't need card details? Anyone know anything??

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: adapters for routers/free phone calls

i would never give my crdit card details out to a cold call, you may want to phone the number he gave to check the details, but in truth my first call would be to my credit card company
      Last edited by richone54; 14-04-08 at 07:57 PM.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

just tried the number you gave and it is not real, get on to your CC company as a matter of urgency !!

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I suspect you have just been ripped off. I had a call from sky offering me lower call costs if I switched my line rental to them. not interested, so they thanked me and hung up.

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thorn23 View Post
      He then said that he needed some confirmation and asked for a credit or debit card number. We pay our bill by direct debit so i began to give him my partners debit card number. He didn't want this but a credit card number. All the time he was trying to reassure me that all this was completely free. He told me the call was being recorded for my safety. He asked me to write down some important information which was a helpline number 080000086000 and his name-John- and his number-1290, and the courier,Citylink. He was insisting on credit card confirmation so i gave him the 16digit number from a credit card and then he asked for the end date and then the security 3 figure code on the back of the card . At this point i asked him if this was all free why did he need the credit card details at which he began turning circles with the spiel about what he was offering re free calls, reduced monthly outgoings etc etc. Here i said that i wasn't about to divulge the crdit card info and terminated the call.

So what is happening here?
      You've just been scammed but, as you stopped throwing information away at the expiry date and 3-digit security code stage, you may get away with it.

It's a variation on the below (although you've volunteered your credit card number too whereas they normally know that part already):
      Telephone credit card scam
      Your credit card company Fraud Department rings up saying that they're calling to verify an unusual purchase pattern asking if you made a purchase for a named item for £xxx.xx. When you say no, they tell you they will be issuing a credit to your account, but need you to confirm the 3 digit security number on the back of your card.

Now this should ring alarm bells as your credit card company will already know your card details and will never ask for them on the phone. If you give the fraudsters the number you'll find your account debited for the quoted amount shortly afterwards!
      Last edited by Heinz; 15-04-08 at 04:07 PM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

VEG
      VEG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maesteg
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

In this day and age i really dont understand people giving out personal details. Even more so if its bank/credit card numbers. If any one phones you claiming to be from a certain company look the number up yourself and then ring them if you are interested in what they are offering.

tubemonster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VEG View Post
      In this day and age i really dont understand people giving out personal details. Even more so if its bank/credit card numbers. If any one phones you claiming to be from a certain company look the number up yourself and then ring them if you are interested in what they are offering.
      ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!! I bet you don't cross shred your old bank statements either??? Do you key in your PIN number in full view of everyone? YOU HAVE TO BE SO CAREFUL THESE DAYS