Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

NTL to Sky package line rental

This is a discussion on NTL to Sky package line rental within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi. Just joined this forum and hoping that someone could sort out a problem for me. Girl arrived on the ...

wingchun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01543
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

NTL to Sky package line rental

Hi.
      Just joined this forum and hoping that someone could sort out a problem for me.
      Girl arrived on the doorstep today offering me a 3 in 1 Sky package, basic package costing 16.00.
      At the moment I am with NTL and use their 3 in 1 package. We also have a BT line although at the moment this is not used.
      I asked the girl if I joined Sky and use the BT landline connection for the phone, would I have to pay BT line rental? She said no, it is an inclusive package.
      I went online to the Sky website to look at a few details and it said in small letters that line rental is still payable to BT. Is the girl wrong or has there been some changes to payment of line rentals?
      Hope someone can clear this up for me as I would like to join Sky. If I still have to pay line rental to BT, there would be no benefit and I might as well stay where I am.
      Please help!!!!!
      Wingchun.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: NTL to Sky package line rental

Depends on what package you take as to the total overal cost but there is also this:
      Sky.com - Sky Products;tg&Phone;tg&Switching to Sky>Sky Talk Line Rental
      you may want to call up sky sales and see just what you have been sold. If it's the wrong package combination or you have been lied to the sooner you get it dealt with the better. Also were you warned about install fees?
      Oh and the line rental is hardly in small letters as its the same size font for all of the package details on the page

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wingchun View Post
      I asked the girl if I joined Sky and use the BT landline connection for the phone, would I have to pay BT line rental? She said no, it is an inclusive package.
      I never believe a word of what 'doorsteppers' say and this justifies that stance.

She lied - Sky's minimum TV subscription is 16 - so whoever you will pay line rental to would be on top of that (BT's line rental would be 10.50 and Sky's would be 10).
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

wingchun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01543
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Paulsky and Heinz. Many thanks for your information.
      It is just as I feared, the girl lied to sell a package. Fortunately I have not yet signed up as I too distrust doorstep sales people. Unfortunately though my son-in-law has and I am just about to give him the news. Not sure what he will make of it but I do know he will contact the girl to see what is going on. Will post his onfo later.
      Thank you again.
      Wingchun

emma881 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi - I have a similar problem to the one above - a sky rep knocked on my door and said that Sky were doing a special offer for Virgin customers - 3 in 1 Sky package, basic package costing 16.00. I asked about the BT line rental of 11 per month and he said that the offer was that Sky would pay this for the first 12 months of the contract, so that it would only cost me 16 for the first 12 months. I was paying 30 with Virgin for their 3 in 1 package so this was a good deal. I asked whether there were any other costs ie set up costs and he said the BT installation which Sky would also pay in full and a connection fee of 30.00 to Sky.
      Anyway, I signed up and paid the 30.00 and cancelled Virgin. When I contacted BT they said it was 124.99 to install the line. I was worried as I didnt have 124.99 spare to hand over to BT, I called Sky and they said this was fine and they would pay BT when I produced the invoice. BT however said that this isnt how it works and I have to pay them upfront. I called Sky again and they said that they would send me a cheque to pay BT as I didnt have the money to pay upfront. Sky then sent me a letter saying that they would credit my Sky account with the 124.99 - no mention of the cheque!
      The following day, someone from Sky called and asked if everything was ok and why had I decided to move to sky - I told her this was because of the deal whereby Sky would pay the BT line rental for 12 months (otherwise it was not worth the hassle of me changing everything over for a saving of 4 per month) She said there was no such deal and told me to contact customer relations asap. She gave me the email address sky.digital@bskyb.com (which is actually an incorrect email!!!)
      Anyway, I managed to get in touch with them and they have basically said that there is no such deal, and I have no proof that this is what I was sold so they will not honour it, they cannot trace the sales rep who came to my house, (I am sure this bit is a lie!) and have given me the following options;

1. As a gesture of goodwill, they will credit my sky account with 124.99 when i have proved that i have paid BT upfront
      2. I can cancel services and they will refund the 30.00 i have already paid

I am really upset at this as I think they should honour what I was sold. If I cancel and they remove the equipment I will have holes in the wall downstairs, and upstairs, both and exterior and interior in the wallpaper that will need repairing. I mentioned this to Sky and they said tough cos I signed a job sheet!! - Why should I have to have the expense of repairing my property cos one of their employees knocked on my door unsolicited and told what now appears to be a pack of lies?!!

I am disgraced by the way I have been treated by sky and the level of their customer service and am kicking myself cos I know it is my own fault for believing a salesperson and not researching what he said after he had gone :-(

has anyone else had a problem like this or does anyone have any tips to help me please?..
      Last edited by emma881; 03-05-08 at 11:19 AM.