Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Withheld Number + Caller Display Problems

This is a discussion on Withheld Number + Caller Display Problems within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi I currently have sky talk the free one along with sky being my phone provider also but im having ...

kbv1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: VM XL 20mb
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Withheld Number + Caller Display Problems

Hi

I currently have sky talk the free one along with sky being my phone provider also but im having a bit of a problem. I have caller display on my account enabled so i know whos calling. That has not being working correctly latly, i have called sky they said its on and working fine and they said to me to try calling *#234# to enable it so i did and it worked. Today i had a call and it has come up with no number like caller display is off so i called *#234# to turn it back on and its worked.... why does it keep turning off?

Also this is really annoyin me. Everytime i call someone my number is being withheld!!! I called sky last week and they said we will turn it off and sort the problem out. Tuesday came it was fine... Today i call someone and my number is witheld again ARGH!!!! i called sky yet again and they said that my number is set to show and not witheld and fobbed me off with the rubbish saying it doesnt always work to all numbers! I've never had this problem with BT.

Has anyone had the same problem or know how i can fix it as when i call some places it wont allow me as my number is withheld when i dont want it to be!!!

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

re: Withheld Number + Caller Display Problems

Of course it shouldn't keep switching itself off (it certainly doesn't on mine - but I have BT as my line provider).

Clearly, Sky have a problem with their equipment - only they can fix it.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

bgbc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cardiff
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Withheld Number + Caller Display Problems

Hello

I too have had probs with Caller display since I changed all my telecom business to Sky and took up broadband. Customer Services did not know & suggested *#234# to no avail. Eventually I tracked down the problem to the router which appears not to be compatible with Caller display. If I turn the router off, caller display works every time. I now do this, whilst it negates the point of broadband since I don't have my computer on all the time it doesn't cause prob as I merely turn the router and computer on at the same time. Spoke to customer serv who were perplexed, but they spoke to Broadband Support who knew of this prob but obviously hadn't told customer servs. BT Openreach had come to test the line, but I told them I had fixed it and even they had come across the prob/solution before. Therefore try turning the router off and see if this helps.

bgbc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cardiff
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Further to previous post, I have now received a call from Sky Broadband. They advise that the problem is with the Sky Microfilters, and suggesting that I purchase a non Sky item. This I have done and Caller Display now works fine. I should add that my telephone and router use separate house sockets, so I am not sure of the position if they use the same. Call Broadband support.

We are now happy.

GSMGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: HD+ Multiroom
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bgbc View Post
      Further to previous post, I have now received a call from Sky Broadband. They advise that the problem is with the Sky Microfilters, and suggesting that I purchase a non Sky item. This I have done and Caller Display now works fine. I should add that my telephone and router use separate house sockets, so I am not sure of the position if they use the same. Call Broadband support.

We are now happy.
      Hope they are placing a credit for the cost of the filters and your time onto your account....

Very strange...

Mike

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well I think there are micro-filters and there are micro-filters, if you know what I mean!

I'm still using some Alcatel branded micro-filters that I got about 5 or 6 years ago when I was a broadband pioneer - 512Kbps on PIPEX via an ADSL "frog" modem. If I recall correctly, the micro-filters were an extra charge - ah those were the days!

Anyway I think it all boils down to the quality of the components inside the little box. Cheap and cheerful freebies can be OK, but it can also be the source of trouble. As with most things, if you can afford to do so, ditch the freebies and go for quality. You know it makes sense!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

r4z0r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01902
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bgbc View Post

We are now happy.
      Thanks for that. I only just got Sky talk + Broadband added to my tv package and caller ID always worked fine on my BT service. It stopped working as soon as my services switched, which coincided with the switching of my old Netgear router to the new 934G + filter that Sky had provided.

Just switched the microfilter back to my old Netgear branded one, and caller ID works perfect

I'm glad I came here first, that saved me a whole load of 'death by call centre'

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Ignoring the blatant spamming, the post to which you're replying is over 18 motnhs old - so things might have changed.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

RJM
      RJM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Weybridge
      Broadband ISP: Now PlusNet
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Freeview
      Thanks

Will, caller ID work with a filtered face plate?

I am thinking of getting one I don't want to waste my money if it isn't going to work.

(When I first joined "SKY" I had to change my "filters" as well.)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It will work with no problem, the filtered faceplate is exactly the same as a plug in filter, except they are usually better quality.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

RJM (05-07-11)