Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

37 mobile calls!! I am shocked!

This is a discussion on 37 mobile calls!! I am shocked! within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I am extremely dissapointed with this; I made 3 calls, at around 20-30 minutes each to a mobile in ROI ...

lordmuggins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NINY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

37 mobile calls!! I am shocked!

I am extremely dissapointed with this; I made 3 calls, at around 20-30 minutes each to a mobile in ROI (a few minutes from me) and Ive been charged 37 for it! I rang up Sky to give out; and I was put through to a manager. He basically said "..and?". A few were when I was trying to get through to someone, and the calls lasted 2 seconds. I was charged 39p each for these! For <= 2 seconds??

I also note that during the daytime, I've made several 1 and 2 second local calls; to be charged 9.3p for each? Surely this isn't right?

Here are some examples:
      00:17:30 International Mobile Numbers (Ireland) 6.045
      00:39:41 International Mobile Numbers (Ireland) 15.260

I will also note, the above prices EXCLUDE Vat!

Did EU restrictions not come in regarding phone call prices between EU countries? Or did that just apply to mobiles? I'm so shocked I was charged these for calling people 5km away!

I'll be using Skype in future!

Matt
      Last edited by lordmuggins; 30-12-07 at 10:47 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Re: 37 mobile calls!! I am shocked!

The moral of the story is never to use Sky Talk for calls which aren't free or inclusive (evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls of up to 60 minutes if you're on Sky Talk Freetime or 24/7/365 UK 01/02 calls and calls to the specified 10 international destinations of up to 60 minutes if you're on Sky Talk Unlimited).

For everything else, select the cheapest from either BT (use the 1280 prefix), 18185 or a gateway provider (see the 'HERE' link below).

Did you hit an answering machine or 1571 on those short local calls? If so, they're counted as connected calls and so the connection charge and the first minute of call charge applies. Sky has increased its prices and now charges the same as BT for calls to geographic numbers (3p/minute) - so, if you're on Sky Talk Freetime, those charges sound about right.

P.S. Those calls to Irish mobiles would have cost 8p/minute via 18185.
      Last edited by Heinz; 31-12-07 at 10:52 AM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just wondering, but do SKY charge me at all for using that 18185 service? Do i have to then dial 1280 18185 001.. etc?

Matt

Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lordmuggins View Post
      Just wondering, but do SKY charge me at all for using that 18185 service? Do i have to then dial 1280 18185 001.. etc?
      If you have (sensibly) left your line rental with BT (BT Together Option 1 @ 10.50/month incl. VAT if you pay by DD and opt for the 50p/month discount for paper-free billing), dialling 18185 (or 1280 to 'hop back onto BT' for that matter) is just a prefix to override the CPS programming for an individual call. You do not have to dial 1280 and then 18185. Sky will not (and cannot) charge you for bypassing them by using that or any other prefix.

CPS means that, although you keep your BT landline, pay 'line rental' to BT (BT Together Option 1 is the minimum) and your incoming calls still arrive on BT (so Caller Display, 1471* and 1571* work normally), you will have opted to have the BT exchange programmed so that, by default, (nearly) all your outgoing calls are sent via the CPS provider (and BT don't even 'see' the calls even though they carry the first leg).

The 'default' part of that sentence is the key to CPS. It means that, if you want, you can use a prefix to send an individual call via another provider (i.e. override the CPS programming for a single call). For example, using just a 1280 prefix will send that call out via BT, using just a 18185 prefix (not 128018185) will send that call out via www.18185.co.uk and so on.

In other words, CPS allows you still to pick the best carrier for your calls even though you've opted, normally, to use one provider (e.g. Sky Talk Freetime because of the free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls).

If you don't have to make many weekday daytime UK 01/02 calls (and the few that you do make are made for 5p each, regardless of duration, using 18185), it reduces your call costs to almost nothing.

* Don't dial 3 after checking who called on 1471 or dial 0 after checking a 1571 message (even though that nice BT lady's voice invites you to do so and it seems like the easy way to return the call). If your do, BT will charge you 7p regardless of whether the call is connected or not.

There are certain calls which you should never allow to go via Sky - because they'll be expensive - please have a read of my '6-steps' to reducing costs for BT residential landline subscribers too.
      Last edited by Heinz; 01-01-08 at 09:36 PM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah so 18185 is just a prefix; and it bypasses Sky and BT doesn't 'see' it, correct?

Im assuming I need to sign up first of course. So clearly this can save me a bit of money... Do you know if in the new yaer there are any plans for BT to charge to use the 18185 prefix? This is what I'm worried about - so Im charged 5p conneciton charge, 6p/min before I incur 18185's own charges if you know what i mean.

Thanks

Matt

Thanks

BT, a CPS provider and 18185

I'm not sure I explained myself well. BT cannot charge you for dialling/using 18185 - they have to allow you free access.

Perhaps if I explained my own services and what I do to keep call costs down, it'd be clearer.

I have a standard BT landline and pay BT 10.50/month for 'line rental' (i.e. their cheapest package, BT Together Option 1, paid by DD and using the 50p/month paper-free billing discount).

I CPS (see the explanation of CPS in my earlier post) most of my calls via Primus Saver Option 2 (that's a CPS provider which, like Sky Talk Freetime, gives me free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls for no monthly fee. I get 90 minutes per call instead of 60 minutes though).

I also have a 18185 account and use that prefix mainly for my weekday UK 01/02 calls (5p each regardless of duration), my calls to UK mobiles (5p connection and 6p/minute weekdays, 3p/minute weekends) and to call Spain (5p connection + 1p/minute at any time).

However, BT is cheaper for some 0870 and 0845 calls - so I use the 1280 prefix for them when appropriate. Needless to say, I use an Orchid dialler to make the selection of individual call routing transparent.
      Last edited by Heinz; 04-01-08 at 11:22 PM.