Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Frustrated!

This is a discussion on Frustrated! within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Long story. We were with BT for line rental and TalkTalk for calls and Plusnet for broadband. We were recently ...

DH59 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01226
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Frustrated!

Long story. We were with BT for line rental and TalkTalk for calls and Plusnet for broadband. We were recently conned into getting TalkTalk everything, but this has never materialised as we pulled out when we realised we were mis-sold certain aspects of the services. We never actually got the broadband online, but they snatched the line rental a few weeks ago. BT is now in the process of taking it back, but this has taken almost 3 weeks, and we have been cut off by TT so we now have no landline as well as no Internet. I have been trying to find out with BT what the delay is but I'm just hanging on the phone. I spoke to someone on Sunday, calling from my sister's, and he said we would be up and running on 5th November, which we weren't. Surprise, surprise.

Now, we've decided, on recommendation of friends, to get Sky+ and so we thought we would go for the whole enchilada including phone calls and broadband, but I understood that you have to have a BT line. That's where our problem now lies.

Then I read here that Sky do line rental too, but it gives no option to order that on the package order pages, as far as I can tell. Would it be possible to order everything together, including Sky line rental? If so, how long would this take? I am sick and tired of waiting for BT to get their act together.

Also, would this be a problem due to the fact that the line is not yet live and that we have, apparently, had to sign up for a 12 month contract again with BT, as the reconnection was as if we were applying for a completely new line, although we are keeping the same number as before.

2. Advertisement
      Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Re: Frustrated!

Moving your line rental is not a good idea for a number of reasons.

Get the Sky Talk package of your choice as a CPS service without letting them get their hands on your line rental.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, thanks for that advice, Heinz. Any particular reason for this? I now know it was a mistake to let TalkTalk get hold of the line rental, but that was for different reasons.

Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Thanks

It's a personal opinion of course but I regard flexibility as essential.

Only BT is required to allow you to use any other providers for your calls. That means you can use the likes of 1899, 18185 and 18866 - any of the other providers could bar access without warning (and some, like Talk Talk, already do).

Only BT is required to allow you to have their exchange equipment programmed so that, by default, your outgoing calls are routed via another provider (i.e. you can use a CPS [Carrier PreSelect] provider). No other line provider has to do that (and none does).

As you'll see HERE, I recommend a money-saving 'mix and match' approach.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, looks a reasonable suggestion to me. Just one thing, if I'm not being a complete wally, what are those 1899, 18185 and 18866 numbers? I've obviously not looked into this phone service thing in as much depth as you!

Cheers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DH59 View Post
      OK, looks a reasonable suggestion to me. Just one thing, if I'm not being a complete wally, what are those 1899, 18185 and 18866 numbers?
      Ways to save money!

18185 is the current front-runner IMHO (although they're all the same company).

Quick example:

A weekday daytime call to any UK 01/02 number would cost a BT Together Option 1 customer 6p connection plus 3p/minute - so a 9 minute 35 second call would cost 6p + 10 x 3p = 38p.

That same call, from the same line, using 18185 would cost 5p (5p connection plus 0p/minute). In fact, if that call was of unlimited duration using 18185, it would still cost only 5p.
      Last edited by Heinz; 07-11-07 at 03:50 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah right! Thanks.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So, decided to persevere with trying to get the BT line reconnected. Still unable to get through on the phone - left hanging on for ages and had to ring off as at work. I decided to send another message via the BT website - now on message number four with no response other than automated.

So, acting on something I read on another forum, I emailed the CEO about my plight. One chap doing this had a response within minutes and then had someone call him and sort out his problem. The response he got to his email was: Sorry about this, I will ask our high level complaints team to sort this for you, Ben. Guess what? I just got the very same response, which is very odd as I didn't give any account or contact details in my email!! As there was no personal greeting, I'm assuming he's set his email to send out standard responses!