Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unexpected 70 Cancellation Charge from BT

This is a discussion on Unexpected 70 Cancellation Charge from BT within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all, Just want to share some info and maybe get a better understanding of what I'm being charged for: ...

krupatel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unexpected 70 Cancellation Charge from BT

Hi all,

Just want to share some info and maybe get a better understanding of what I'm being charged for:

I had a new line provisioned by BT on Option 1. Within a month I asked Sky to take over the line and rental. This week I received a Final Bill with a 70 cancellation charge from BT in respect of Option 1. Having spoken to them and then read the T&Cs I can see this is affective from lines provisioned from 1st May 07. (Note the current terms and conditions came into effect from 1 October 2007, I moved to Sky in August).

Has any one else been suprised with such charges? Anyway to avoid the charge? Should I find the original T&Cs to check the same charge is present?

Thanks

Link to T&Cs:

BT.com | Personal | Terms & Conditions

2. Advertisement
      Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Re: Unexpected 70 Cancellation Charge from BT

You signed up for a 12 month contract and broke it. 70 is a cheap get-out (they could have made you pay the remaining monthly charges in full).

BTW, handing over your line rental to another firm is not a good idea for a number of reasons. One is that, although (I think) you'll now be saving 50p/month by handing over your line rental to Sky, it'll take you 11 years 8 months to 'recover' that 70.

Among the other reasons are the likely inability to access cheap call providers like 1899, 18185 and 18866 and having to pay Sky's rates for 084/087 calls (which are BT's un-discounted rates which almost no-one pays now).

IMHO, leaving your line rental with BT and using Sky as your CPS calls provider would have been better.
      Last edited by Heinz; 29-10-07 at 08:06 PM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.