Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thinking about moving from BT to Sky Talk

This is a discussion on Thinking about moving from BT to Sky Talk within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I am currently on BT Option 1 and do not use the phone that much. Most of my bill is ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thinking about moving from BT to Sky Talk

I am currently on BT Option 1 and do not use the phone that much. Most of my bill is made up of line rental and VAT really.

I have read up on the 2 packages that Sky offer and it sounds like that is cheaper than BT as some/all calls are free, mobile calls are cheaper (I hardly make any anyway) but the only drawback is 0870 and 0845 calls are charged. Are the cost of these more or less than BT ? I am aware of the "say no to 0870/0845" site so that will help I know.

Also, am I right in thinking Sky do not offer the 1571 call minder option that BT do ? As I use this quite a lot, I will have to buy a new phone with an answer phone then (don't think my current phone has one).

Are there any other differences I am not aware of between BT and Sky Talk ?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Thinking about moving from BT to Sky Talk

Anyone ?

District69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tulse Hill
      Broadband ISP: 13mbs
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I am on Sky Talk and pay 5pm for unlimited calls.

As far as I can see the 0870 numbers etc are the same.

You cannot bar numbers so I bought a gadget called Comtel from Ebay for 5 and programmed what area codes were allowed to be called.

My monthly bill with Sky for this has never been above 10 (inc 5 fee) and on top of that is the 11pm BT line rental.

I highly recommend it as I call family abroad which is free and my BT bills in the past ranged from 100-200.

Michael

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamieBee View Post
      I am currently on BT Option 1 and do not use the phone that much. Most of my bill is made up of line rental and VAT really.

I have read up on the 2 packages that Sky offer and it sounds like that is cheaper than BT as some/all calls are free, mobile calls are cheaper (I hardly make any anyway) but the only drawback is 0870 and 0845 calls are charged. Are the cost of these more or less than BT ? I am aware of the "say no to 0870/0845" site so that will help I know.

Also, am I right in thinking Sky do not offer the 1571 call minder option that BT do ? As I use this quite a lot, I will have to buy a new phone with an answer phone then (don't think my current phone has one).

Are there any other differences I am not aware of between BT and Sky Talk ?

Thanks
      Both Sky Talk packages are CPS (Carrier PreSelect) packages and mean you still pay your line rental to BT (that's a good thing because it leaves all call-routing and ISP options open to you). Additionally, your incoming calls still arrive BT so Caller Display, 1471 and 1571 still work normally. Beware though, you have to make at least 2 chargeable calls per month via BT (i.e. use a 1280 prefix) to get Caller Display and 1571 (if you really must use it) 'almost free'.

Sky Talk Freetime will give you free evening and weekend UK 01/02/03 calls of up to 60 minutes whereas Sky Talk Unlimited will give you free calls of up to 60 minutes at all times to UK 01/02/03 numbers and to landlines in 10 other countries.

However, there are other (some would say better) options available - see the SAVE ON YOUR PHONE COSTS link below.
      Last edited by Heinz; 21-09-07 at 01:09 PM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by District69 View Post
      I am on Sky Talk and pay 5pm for unlimited calls.

As far as I can see the 0870 numbers etc are the same.

You cannot bar numbers so I bought a gadget called Comtel from Ebay for 5 and programmed what area codes were allowed to be called.

My monthly bill with Sky for this has never been above 10 (inc 5 fee) and on top of that is the 11pm BT line rental.

I highly recommend it as I call family abroad which is free and my BT bills in the past ranged from 100-200.

Michael
      Hi District69,

I'm planning to buy Commtel Internet and Phone Guard from Ebay, as I have Sky Talk Unlimited as well with Sky Broadband Max & Sky World (TV). I need your help from your experience with these Commtel phone guards, since you already have one, I need to ask you some questions:

1) Can I programmed the Commtel Phone guard to allow these following codes: 01, 02 (UK landlines), 001 (USA) & 1280 (BT)?

Instead of 0131, 0141, 0151, 0152, 0161 or 0207, 0208 or 001342, 001412 (USA) or 12800207, 12800208, 12800800 (using the BT override Code), it will be a long list to enter all these codes in, but its upto 20 numbers to be entered into Commtel phone guard.

2) If it does allow to be programmed with these codes: 01, 02, 001 & 1280, does it means that, no-one cannot dial any other phones numbers e.g. 08, 09, 118118 or mobile phones, except 01, 02, 001 & 1280 only?

That means I have to programme in the other 9 international country codes as well into Commtel phone guard for me and anyone in my house can call international countries too e.g. Australia: 0061, France: 0033, Germany: 0049, Ireland: 00353, etc.

3) Does it still work with Sky Broadband on BT phone line with Commtel Phone installed? I think Sky Broadband should still works perfectly without any problems.

I really, really appreicate it, if you help me, thanks,
      Jonathan.

Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Thanks

The answer to all your questions is yes - but the 'anyone in my house' bit only applies to the use of telephones connected to the socket on which the Phone Guard is installed (if you have other live sockets without Phone Guards, anyone could just plug a phone in to dial whatever they liked).

I wouldn't recommend allowing 1280 though - that prefix would allow ANY number to be dialled afterwards (including 08, 09, 118xxx and other 00).
      Last edited by Heinz; 24-09-07 at 10:32 AM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have signed up to Unlimited Sky Talk - thanks for your help. I have found out that I can have 1471, 1571 and Caller Display all free of charge too as I am on Sky LLU now.

One last question - I will keep my current telephone number ? I forgot to ask that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamieBee View Post
      I have signed up to Unlimited Sky Talk - thanks for your help. I have found out that I can have 1471, 1571 and Caller Display all free of charge too as I am on Sky LLU now.
      LLU. I didn't know Sky had started to offer that.

Oh dear, that's very bad news for you IMHO.

Ignoring the fact that you can have free 1471 and 'almost free' 1571 and Caller Display from BT for a total of 9p per month so that's all you'll be saving, handing over your line rental to Sky means they can (and almost certainly will) bar your access to cheaper call providers like 1899, 18185 and 18866.

Additionally, you'll now have to pay Sky rates for 084/087 and mobile calls.

Didn't you even consider CPS?
      Last edited by Heinz; 24-09-07 at 05:32 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I am assuming it is as my broadband was moved to their LLU about a month ago. He said they could do my line rental for 10 quid a month (slightly cheaper than BT) and go onto the unlimited package. I asked if I would keep 1571 as I use it quite a lot, expecting him to say I would lose it but the guy said I would retain it along with caller display and 1471 all free of charge.

I thought 1571 cost a couple of quid a month via BT ? The guy said all my 0845 and 0870 calls will be charged the same as BT. Do you mean I cant use the alternative no's as stated on the saynoto0870 site ?

"handing over your line rental to Sky means they can (and almost certainly will) bar your access to cheaper call providers like 1899, 18185 and 18866."

What are these numbers/providers ?

By CPS do you mean keep line rental with BT but calls with sky ?

Thanks

Nice sales technique. the truth, but not quite the whole truth. Sky charges what are known as BT's un-discounted rates for 084/087 calls whereas, on BT Together Option 1, you automatically qualify for their discounted rates.

Never assume with Sky BTW. I'd say they've grabbed your line rental too.

BT charges nothing for 1471, 1.75/month for Caller Display and 1/month for 1571 - but the latter two are billed ONLY if you you don't make at least 2 chargeable calls via BT each month. As evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls now cost 4p for up to an hour, that means you could easily and very cheaply get Caller Display and 1571 'nearly free' (i.e. for a total of 9p/month). On behalf of all your callers, I'd urge you to dump 1571 anyway (see HERE).

No, all SayNoTo0870.com's geographical alternative numbers will still work when dialled on Sky.

1899 and/or 18185 and/or 18866 are calls providers offering cheap ways of making calls (e.g. to UK mobiles, international destinations).

CPS (Carrier PreSelect) means that, although you keep your BT landline, pay 'line rental' to BT (BT Together Option 1 is the minimum) and your incoming calls still arrive on BT (so Caller Display, 1471 and 1571 work normally), you will have opted to have the BT exchange programmed so that, by default, (nearly) all your outgoing calls are sent via the CPS provider (and BT don't even 'see' the calls even though they carry the first leg).

The 'default' part of that sentence is the key to CPS. It means that, if you want, you can use a prefix to send an individual call via another provider (i.e. override the CPS programming for a single call). For example, using just a 1280 prefix will send that call out via BT, using just a 18185 prefix (not 128018185) will send that call out via www.18185.co.uk and so on.

In other words, CPS allows you still to pick the best carrier for your calls even though you've opted, normally, to use one provider (e.g. Sky Talk Freetime because of the free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls of up to 60 minutes).
      Last edited by Heinz; 24-09-07 at 09:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast