Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thinking about moving from BT to Sky Talk

This is a discussion on Thinking about moving from BT to Sky Talk within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by Heinz The answer to all your questions is yes - but the 'anyone in my house' bit ...

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

Re: Thinking about moving from BT to Sky Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
      The answer to all your questions is yes - but the 'anyone in my house' bit only applies to the use of telephones connected to the socket on which the Phone Guard is installed (if you have other live sockets without Phone Guards, anyone could just plug a phone in to dial whatever they liked).

I wouldn't recommend allowing 1280 though - that prefix would allow ANY number to be dialled afterwards (including 08, 09, 118xxx and other 00).
      Yes!! Thanks very much, Heinz!! That means I can programme these codes in my allow list as follows:

01, 02, 001, 12800800, 128002071793610 (for me), 0061, 0033, 0049, 00353, 0039, 0034, 0031 & 0064.

I have only 1 BT socket now (as the other Cable / Virgin Media phone socket is disconnected) with 3 phone extensions running from the same BT phone socket for connecting sky boxes, 3 house phones & Netgear wireless router for Sky Broadband Max interent connection.

Lovely and sweet... thanks very much, oh, boy I can't wait to buy the Commtel Phone guard from Ebay now and install it on my single BT socket. I can't wait to try it out and see their faces when they try to ring 08 or 09 or 118118 numbers but can't get through.

2. Advertisement
      Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanen View Post
      Yes!! Thanks very much, Heinz!! That means I can programme these codes in my allow list as follows:

01, 02, 001, 12800800, 128002071793 (for me), 0061, 0033, 0049, 00353, 0039, 0034, 0031 & 0064.
      I'd reduce that fourth one by one digit - to 1280080 - which will allow freephone 0800 and 0808 calls (via BT). You might want to add 12800500 too - there are still some old 0500 freephone numbers in use.

BTW, if you're on Sky Talk unlimited, why are you routing calls to the 02071793 number via BT? Surely you want them to go (free) via Sky Talk (in which case, your second 'rule' - allowing 02 dialling - covers it).
      Last edited by Heinz; 25-09-07 at 11:03 AM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

I'd reduce that fourth one by one digit - to 1280080 - which will allow freephone 0800 and 0808 calls (via BT). You might want to add 12800500 too - there are still some old 0500 freephone numbers in use.

BTW, if you're on Sky Talk unlimited, why are you routing calls to the 02071793 number via BT? Surely you want them to go (free) via Sky Talk (in which case, your second 'rule' - allowing 02 dialling - covers it).
      Wow! I didn't know 0808 calls are free as well, I though its only 0800 calls are free. As for 0500 numbers, I'm not saw these numbers before in my life and I didn't know these numbers are freephone as well, thanks for that.

This 128002071793610 number is for me to use it as "BT qualification for the 'almost free' Caller Display (BT Privacy at Home) and BT Answer 1571 call features" in every 3 months period, in a result of "Recent calls" to a total of 26p (7 x 0.038 calls), that way, I only pay 31.76 every 3 months, that's very cheap and cheerful price, and I love it.

Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Thanks

I'm with you now on the 0207 number. Good move.

With regard to 0500 numbers, here's one Google came up with: Missing People

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nice sales technique. the truth, but not quite the whole truth. Sky charges what are known as BT's un-discounted rates for 084/087 calls whereas, on BT Together Option 1, you automatically qualify for their discounted rates.

Never assume with Sky BTW. I'd say they've grabbed your line rental too.

BT charges nothing for 1471, 1.75/month for Caller Display and 1/month for 1571 - but the latter two are billed ONLY if you you don't make at least 2 chargeable calls via BT each month. As evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls now cost 4p for up to an hour, that means you could easily and very cheaply get Caller Display and 1571 'nearly free' (i.e. for a total of 9p/month). On behalf of all your callers, I'd urge you to dump 1571 anyway (see HERE).

No, all SayNoTo0870.com's geographical alternative numbers will still work when dialled on Sky.

1899 and/or 18185 and/or 18866 are calls providers offering cheap ways of making calls (e.g. to UK mobiles, international destinations).

CPS (Carrier PreSelect) means that, although you keep your BT landline, pay 'line rental' to BT (BT Together Option 1 is the minimum) and your incoming calls still arrive on BT (so Caller Display, 1471 and 1571 work normally), you will have opted to have the BT exchange programmed so that, by default, (nearly) all your outgoing calls are sent via the CPS provider (and BT don't even 'see' the calls even though they carry the first leg).

The 'default' part of that sentence is the key to CPS. It means that, if you want, you can use a prefix to send an individual call via another provider (i.e. override the CPS programming for a single call). For example, using just a 1280 prefix will send that call out via BT, using just a 18185 prefix (not 128018185) will send that call out via www.18185.co.uk and so on.

In other words, CPS allows you still to pick the best carrier for your calls even though you've opted, normally, to use one provider (e.g. Sky Talk Freetime because of the free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls of up to 60 minutes).
      Oh dear - sounds like I may have to call them and tell them I want to keep the line rental with BT.

So if I kept line rental with BT would I be charged through BT for 1471, 1571 and caller display ? If I am on Unlimited then provided I dont make any chargeable then I will pay the full rate for these services ?

All these different prefixes and websites to dial/look at just to make calls is a bit confusing. How do you know what is best prefix to use for a call ?

So the bottom line is - if I mainly call local and national no's, mobiles very rarely and 0845 and 0870 no's now and again I am better off having line rental with BT and outgoing calls with sky ? And a couple of non 01/02 calls a month will mean I pay 9p a month for caller display and 1571 ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamieBee View Post
      So if I kept line rental with BT would I be charged through BT for 1471, 1571 and caller display ? If I am on Unlimited then provided I dont make any chargeable then I will pay the full rate for these services ?

All these different prefixes and websites to dial/look at just to make calls is a bit confusing. How do you know what is best prefix to use for a call ?

So the bottom line is - if I mainly call local and national no's, mobiles very rarely and 0845 and 0870 no's now and again I am better off having line rental with BT and outgoing calls with sky ? And a couple of non 01/02 calls a month will mean I pay 9p a month for caller display and 1571 ?
      Yes. On BT, 1471 is free.

If you leave your line rental with BT and CPS your calls via Sky Talk, you just have to make 2 chargeable calls each month to qualify for 'nearly free' Caller Display and 1571 - otherwise BT will charge 1.75/month and 1/month respectively for those services. I have the (01206 xxxxxx) number of my local Indian takeaway pre-programmed into one of my phones with a 1280 prefix to be sure I'll do that. They don't open until 6pm during the week so I know my calls to them will only cost 4p - hence 'nearly free' Caller Display and 1571 (not that I use the latter because I don't want to unnecessarily impose costs on callers) for 9p/month!

If you manage to leave your line rental with BT, Sky Talk Unlimited will probably suit you quite well. I'm a little concerned about your calls to mobiles costing more than they have to (as I said, I use 18185 for those) but, if you're concerned about multiple calls providers, it may be best if you just accept Sky's prices. As long as you keep them under an hour, you will, after all, be getting all your UK 01/02/03 calls and calls to 10 countries for 5/month!

If you're interested, I try to keep abreast of all that's happening in the UK domestic telephony market and update my '6-steps' to reducing costs for BT residential landline subscribers post on MSE regularly.

An extension of that is the use of Orchid diallers (to eliminate the need to remember what codes to dial and when for different types of calls). There, I maintain The Heinz Program which quite a few people now use.
      Last edited by Heinz; 25-09-07 at 10:57 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes. On BT, 1471 is free.

If you leave your line rental with BT and CPS your calls via Sky Talk, you just have to make 2 chargeable calls each month to qualify for 'nearly free' Caller Display and 1571 - otherwise BT will charge 1.75/month and 1/month respectively for those services. I have the (01206 xxxxxx) number of my local Indian takeaway pre-programmed into one of my phones with a 1280 prefix to be sure I'll do that. They don't open until 6pm during the week so I know my calls to them will only cost 4p - hence 'nearly free' Caller Display and 1571 (not that I use the latter because I don't want to unnecessarily impose costs on callers) for 9p/month!

If you manage to leave your line rental with BT, Sky Talk Unlimited will probably suit you quite well. I'm a little concerned about your calls to mobiles costing more than they have to (as I said, I use 18185 for those) but, if you're concerned about multiple calls providers, it may be best if you just accept Sky's prices. As long as you keep them under an hour, you will, after all, be getting all your UK 01/02/03 calls and calls to 10 countries for 5/month!

If you're interested, I try to keep abreast of all that's happening in the UK domestic telephony market and update my '6-steps' to reducing costs for BT residential landline subscribers post on MSE regularly.

An extension of that is the use of Orchid diallers (to eliminate the need to remember what codes to dial and when for different types of calls). There, I maintain THE HEINZ PROGRAM which quite a few people now use.
      You certainly know a lot about telephones Heinz

I have read through this all again and am now up to speed. BT have confirmed I am on Option 1 (the cheapest) and the charges for 1571 and caller display if I move my calls away. Called sky to amend my order i.e. keep the line rental with BT but what a surprise, the wheels are in motion and I have to physically cancel the line rental request. I only ordered it Saturday and it takes 10 working days apparently. The line rental dept close at 9.30pm so I will call and cancel this tomorrow. Thanks for your help Heinz.
      Last edited by JamieBee; 26-09-07 at 09:55 AM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nice sales technique. the truth, but not quite the whole truth. Sky charges what are known as BT's un-discounted rates for 084/087 calls whereas, on BT Together Option 1, you automatically qualify for their discounted rates.

Never assume with Sky BTW. I'd say they've grabbed your line rental too.

BT charges nothing for 1471, 1.75/month for Caller Display and 1/month for 1571 - but the latter two are billed ONLY if you you don't make at least 2 chargeable calls via BT each month. As evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls now cost 4p for up to an hour, that means you could easily and very cheaply get Caller Display and 1571 'nearly free' (i.e. for a total of 9p/month). On behalf of all your callers, I'd urge you to dump 1571 anyway (see HERE).

No, all SayNoTo0870.com's geographical alternative numbers will still work when dialled on Sky.

1899 and/or 18185 and/or 18866 are calls providers offering cheap ways of making calls (e.g. to UK mobiles, international destinations).

CPS (Carrier PreSelect) means that, although you keep your BT landline, pay 'line rental' to BT (BT Together Option 1 is the minimum) and your incoming calls still arrive on BT (so Caller Display, 1471 and 1571 work normally), you will have opted to have the BT exchange programmed so that, by default, (nearly) all your outgoing calls are sent via the CPS provider (and BT don't even 'see' the calls even though they carry the first leg).

The 'default' part of that sentence is the key to CPS. It means that, if you want, you can use a prefix to send an individual call via another provider (i.e. override the CPS programming for a single call). For example, using just a 1280 prefix will send that call out via BT, using just a 18185 prefix (not 128018185) will send that call out via www.18185.co.uk and so on.

In other words, CPS allows you still to pick the best carrier for your calls even though you've opted, normally, to use one provider (e.g. Sky Talk Freetime because of the free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls of up to 60 minutes).

Have just read through this again - surely if my line rental stays with BT if I want to call 084/087 numbers I still pay sky rates anyway as I pay them for outgoing calls ? So I cannot benefit from BT's better rates for these numbers ? I only call these numbers every once in a while. Barclays Bank for example is a 0845 no but I can use the geographic equivalent through Sky (or BT for that matter) can't I ? And with mobiles - am I not paying 25% less (apparently) by making calls through Sky ?

You're saying the main benefit I would get by going CPS rather than letting Sky have my line rental would be I can use prefixes to dial out. How much do I save approx by doing this (difficult to remember these prefixes and exactly what one to use to dial a particular number) ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamieBee View Post
      Have just read through this again - surely if my line rental stays with BT if I want to call 084/087 numbers I still pay sky rates anyway as I pay them for outgoing calls ? So I cannot benefit from BT's better rates for these numbers ? I only call these numbers every once in a while. Barclays Bank for example is a 0845 no but I can use the geographic equivalent through Sky (or BT for that matter) can't I ? And with mobiles - am I not paying 25% less (apparently) by making calls through Sky ?

You're saying the main benefit I would get by going CPS rather than letting Sky have my line rental would be I can use prefixes to dial out. How much do I save approx by doing this (difficult to remember these prefixes and exactly what one to use to dial a particular number) ?
      Of course you can benefit from BT's better rates for such numbers - prefix such calls with 1280 to 'hop back onto BT' each time (a good way of making your 2 calls per month to qualify for 'nearly free' Caller Display and, if you must use it, 1571).

18585, for example, charge 6p/minute to call any UK mobile during the week. How much do Sky (or BT for that matter) charge?

Getting an Orchid overcomes the problem of remembering routing prefixes.

Have a read of my 6 steps to reduce costs;

and my suggested program for an Orchid dialler;

and how to keep that program up-to-date with the minimum of difficulty.
      Last edited by Heinz; 27-09-07 at 08:44 PM.

District69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tulse Hill
      Broadband ISP: 13mbs
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Jonathan.

What I have done is where the main BT cable comes into my place I have a BT socket which the main wires go into.

From there I have installed the Comtel and then have a cable with a BT plug on it running from there to all my extensions including my PC. Where I need a socket en-route I have just put one in-line.

I know people have said that the PC needs to be plugged into the main/master socket but this has worked fine for me.

I downloaded a movie today and got a download speed of 1.42mb.

With regard to the numbers to be programmed Heinz was correct. To summarise I programmed the following:

7. 8. 020. 01. 02. 0845. 1471. 150. 151. 00353 (anywhere in Ireland). And also my mobile number in case of emergency.

I am not sure about 1471 because as I type this I am wondering if a number calls that you have not allowed in your Comtel and you press 3, will it return the call? Will test later!

Hope this all helps.

Michael

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast