Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Signed up to Unlimited

This is a discussion on Signed up to Unlimited within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; We're changing over to unlimited a week tomorrow and I have a few questions. 1. No we're on BT option ...

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Signed up to Unlimited

We're changing over to unlimited a week tomorrow and I have a few questions.

1. No we're on BT option one are Sky's calls to mobiles cheaper than using the BT over-ride

2. For 08, 09 numbers which are rarely phoned because of saynoto0870.com (but there is one or two e.g Sky you can't get) are we cheaper using BT or Sky?

Will also be cancelling 1571 as I don't think we have had a message on that for months, and I read your article about it Heinz!

2. Advertisement
      PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Signed up to Unlimited

hi mikey,

i ws told ringing the 0870 number on sky talk was free - yet to see that when my bill comes in.

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Glad to hear about 1571 mikey4020 (a big thanks on behalf of all your friends and family).

Can I point you in the direction of 18185 for calls to mobiles, to 1280 (BT) for 0844/0871 calls and to 1280/18185 (depending on day/time) for 0845/0870 calls. In (verbose) summary, see HERE (although point [2] doesn't apply in your case).
      Last edited by Heinz; 22-07-07 at 05:39 PM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

We very rarely phone a mobile anyway and just realised we can use the included minutes on one of the contract mobiles in the house anyway! Also if we absolutely have to phone a mobile in an emergency it will be a case of minutes so they'll be no huge bills!

tandt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Folks,

In that case, till your Sky “talk” package is cancelled and your tel. line is returned back to BT. how do you use CPS or prefixes e.g. 18185 or similar, for making calls as you did before ?

Thanks.
      tandt520

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandt View Post
      In that case, till your Sky “talk” package is cancelled and your tel. line is returned back to BT. how do you use CPS or prefixes e.g. 18185 or similar, for making calls as you did before ?
      Don't confuse CPS providers with prefix (override) providers like 18185 or with gateway providers (the 0844 or 0871 numbers you can dial BEFORE you dial your international destination).

CPS (Carrier PreSelect) means that, although you keep your BT landline, pay 'line rental' to BT (BT Together Option 1 is the minimum) and your incoming calls still arrive on BT (so Caller Display, 1471* and 1571* work normally), you will have opted to have the BT exchange programmed so that, by default, (nearly) all your outgoing calls are sent via the CPS provider (and BT don't even 'see' the calls even though they carry the first leg).

The 'default' part of that sentence is the key to CPS. It means that, if you want, you can use a prefix to send an individual call via another provider (i.e. override the CPS programming for a single call). For example, using just a 1280 prefix will send that call out via BT, using just a 18185 prefix (not 128018185) will send that call out via www.18185.co.uk and so on.

In other words, CPS allows you still to pick the best carrier for your calls even though you've opted, normally, to use one provider (in this case, Sky Talk Unlimited 2 because the £5 subscription allows you to make 'free' 01/02 calls at any time).

* Don't dial 3 after checking who called on 1471 or dial 0 after checking a 1571 message (even though that nice BT lady's voice invites you to do so and it seems like the easy way to return the call). If your do, BT will charge you 7½p regardless of whether the call is connected or not.

Your line never moves from BT (you still pay BT £10.50/month for BT Together Option 1) if you're using a CPS provider.

Both Sky Talk packages are CPS and, as you can only have one CPS at a time, you just sign up with the new CPS if you want to change. Because BT has to re-program its exchange equipment, the new CPS provider tells BT and BT tells the old CPS.

About 10 to 15 days later, your CPS moves over (but your line rental remains with BT).

The benefit of a BT landline and a CPS provider is that you can use 1899, 18815 etc. (and BT itself via 1280 for that matter) at the same time. If you don't want a particular call to go out via your CPS, all you do is dial the necessary prefix (e.g. to send a weekday peak 0845 call out on BT - when BT is cheapest for that type of call - you'd dial 12800845xxxyyyy).
      Last edited by Heinz; 08-08-07 at 02:19 PM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

tandt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you so much for your explanation on CPS and how to use this with Sky talk. I am most grateful.
      Regards,
      tandt