Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I keep my BT number?

This is a discussion on Can I keep my BT number? within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I ordered Sky talk freetime package with my Sky TV, and sky mid package yesterday but forgot to ask them ...

Mr KP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wembley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can I keep my BT number?

I ordered Sky talk freetime package with my Sky TV, and sky mid package yesterday but forgot to ask them if I could keep my existing BT number that i've had for 15 years! I really want to keep it.

Also what do I tell BT about cancelling my service from them, I understand I still pay 11 per month, im currently on BT option 1, do I need to tell them that I just need the line or not tell them anything.

How long before I get switched over to sky talk, can I tell BT now to stop changing me for option 1?

2. Advertisement
      allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Can I keep my BT number?

Sky notify BT of your request to change and BT then write to you to confirm (try and dissuade you). They also raise the issue of packages etc and explain what you need to do. Your number doesn't change.

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KP View Post
      I ordered Sky talk freetime package with my Sky TV, and sky mid package yesterday but forgot to ask them if I could keep my existing BT number that i've had for 15 years! I really want to keep it.

Also what do I tell BT about cancelling my service from them, I understand I still pay 11 per month, im currently on BT option 1, do I need to tell them that I just need the line or not tell them anything.

How long before I get switched over to sky talk, can I tell BT now to stop changing me for option 1?
      Both Sky Talk packages are CPS (Carrier PreSelect) and, as such, you need to keep (and will still have to pay for) your BT landline. Hence BT won't stop charging you.

BT Together Option 1 is BT's minimum package but you can cut the cost to 10.50/month by paying by direct debit and taking the 50p discount by opting for paper-free billing.

For the change to Sky Talk CPS, you don't need to contact BT yourself unless you want to adjust your package and/or payment options.

The switch normally takes between 10 and 15 days and the only way I know of to check whether Sky Talk is operational is to use BT's Charge Advice service:

Lift handset and dial *411# and listen for message. Replace handset.

Make an evening or weekend UK 01/02 call (on BT it'll cost 5p). If the exchange automatically calls you back immediately after the call with the approx cost of the call, you're still on BT. If there's no immediate call back, the call has gone (free) over Sky Talk.

You can switch off BT Charge Advice with #411#

There is no need to use the 1280 prefix when switching Charge Advice on or off (even after Sky Talk has gone live).
      Last edited by Heinz; 13-06-07 at 02:31 PM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

Mr KP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wembley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, its cleared things up, I recieved my SSSL Sky viewing card and the contracts through the post today, that shon futher light on some confusion.

So i'll keep Option 1 from BT and also go with paper-free billing, I beginning to see how this could all work.