Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Line rental Package

This is a discussion on Line rental Package within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Sky say they are in the process of launching line rental - it's just in the final stages of beta. ...

PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Line rental Package

Sky say they are in the process of launching line rental - it's just in the final stages of beta.

Means they are also going quad play to get up with VM - which is great! death to Virgin Media i say !

2. Advertisement
      Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Re: Line rental Package

One or other of the Sky Talk packages my 'work' for you .... but allowing Sky to take over you line rental most certainly is not a good idea.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

whys that then? bulldog never let me down and i had a line with them from the start -

anyway it's not phyiscal line takeover it's simply you pay sly for the line rental and they pay BT

Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Thanks

IMHO, WLR or LLU are both as bad as one another from the customer's point of view - see the (small text) notes under point [1] HERE.
      Last edited by Heinz; 07-04-07 at 08:52 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

okay fair points, except cps is not available on LLU - the lines on LLU are owned by the provider,

I also am a great beliver in experience - and after 7 years of LLU with bulldog and not a single problem then i would rather use that than something typed on a website.

ive used several CPS services the best so far being AOL's - and never had any problems.

ill see how skys goes..

Thanks

Leaving aside the reliability issue (I am sure yours was the experience of most but, equally, you will probably have read the terrible experiences of some who Talk Talk have changed from WLR to LLU), the cost issue is the one I was trying to emphasise.

As Talk Talk have already demonstrated and as Virgin Media are now beginning to demonstrate, they don't like people making calls other than on their 'network' (and at their prices). Now, I don't blame them for that (business is business) but, many (particularly those on fixed incomes) prefer being allowed choice and leaving line rental with BT, who are the only provider nailed to the floor by the regulator, ensures that.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yes i get your point but i feel ( with respect) your totally missing the point here.

Sky are talking about merely collecting the money for the phoneline ( which might actually be cheaper if they deal with BT) - however BT will remain owner operators of the lines. Company like talk talk didn't have a bad system they simply couldn't handle the demand.

I'd not want anyone BUT BT in my line simply because it makesmoving away alot more easier with alot more choice

But i hear your points sir..

Thanks

Who actually 'owns' the line is largely irrelevant. If Sky WLR your line, it means they just rent it from BT and re-rent it to you; If Sky LLU your line, Sky they'll just rent the only part they don't then own ('the last mile' of copper cable) from BT.

In either case, Sky will be able to control how you make your calls. If they choose (like Talk Talk has done for some of its WLR customers and for all of its LLU customers) to bar access to 1899, 18185 and the like, they can do so. If they choose (as Virgin Media is doing) to bar access to 0844/0871 and the like 'gateway' numbers, they can do so.

Hence, except for 'inclusive' calls, you could be prevented from making the cheapest routing choice (e.g. [extreme but accurate example] you'd have to pay Sky's 64p/minute or more to call Brazil instead of the 1p/minute available from 18185 or a number of the 'gateway' providers).
      Last edited by Heinz; 09-04-07 at 04:59 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

so let them bar those type calls - at the end of the day there are a million programs that anytime landline calls for free over the web.

Ciel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Any date on line rental with Sky yet?

I'm 26 for Sky Max and I think I'm paying 11 too much compared to Be as I'm not bothered about the TV side of things.

If I can combine my phone line rental then I'll be getting a better deal hopefully.

Any information? Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast