Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Line rental Package

This is a discussion on Line rental Package within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Playing line rental with Sky makes very little sense as far as I'm concerned. I pay 10.50 a month to ...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Line rental Package

Playing line rental with Sky makes very little sense as far as I'm concerned. I pay 10.50 a month to BT, so I'd save 50p a month.

On the downside, I have several features enabled on my line (caller ID, call waiting, etc) and if you pay line rental to Sky and you have 3 or more of those, the total cost will be at least 1.75 a month more.

I'd also be forced to use Sky for all my calls, so that means I'll be paying more for mobile calls and international calls compared with 18185 that I use now.

2. Advertisement
      Ciel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I read CallerID is going to be free with Sky as I'm sure 1571 will be. Those are not free with BT. Privacy at Home (CallerID) is only 'free' if you make 2 calls via BT per month and 1571 is also the same. Can be very expensive if you forget and I'm sure most people just couldn't be bothered.

I would have an immediate saving moving to Sky line rental and I don't make that many calls (certainly nowhere near the saving).

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You're right, caller ID is free with Sky. But I also have call waiting, diversion and ring back, so Sky line rental would still be more expensive for me, even before I take into account higher call charges to mobiles compared with 18185.

If you don't make many calls, it wouldn't make sense to go on the Sky Unlimited tariff, which means going onto the Sky Freetime tariff, which in turn means that your daytime call charges are going to be higher than if you kept the ability to use an override code.

I'm sure there are going to be some people who will save moving their line rental to Sky - people who only ever make off-peak calls to local/01/02 numbers, for example. But I think it only fair to point out, that it's not a guaranteed saving for everyone. Some - probably most - people will be worse off with Sky line rental than they would be if they kept their line rental with BT, and signed up with an override provider like 18185.

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Some - probably most - people will be worse off with Sky line rental than they would be if they kept their line rental with BT, and signed up with an override provider like 18185.
      And, possibly, used the (free) Sky Talk Freetime CPS to get free UK 01/02 calls evenings and weekends or, depending on their use, paid Sky another 5 for Sky Talk Unlimited CPS.

However, there are many other providers offering CPS (there are over 120 - see http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi...stered/cps.xls).
      Last edited by Heinz; 08-10-07 at 12:19 AM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I guess one of the advantages of having a proper Sky Line Rental service would mean getting proper refunds on "Long" CS calls ect.

But I guess that wouldnt be much of a issue next Summer with the Customer Service going 0800.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
      And, possibly, used the (free) Sky Talk Freetime CPS to get free UK 01/02 calls evenings and weekends or, depending on their use, paid Sky another 5 for Sky Talk Unlimited CPS.
      Oh yeah, goes without saying, if someone's giving away free phone calls, it makes sense to take it. In fact the only calls which I route over Sky are the one which are free. All chargeable calls are routed via BT or 18185, depending which is cheaper.

Oh the fun I have with my programmable dialler!

TheDoctor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bourne
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry to hijack this thread but i phoned sky to cancell skytalk as BT are charging me extra for CLI and 1471 as i dont use my phone via bt to make calls so the nice bloke at sky said you can have line rental with us at 10 per month and also get free 1471 and CLI to me this is good news as my bill with bt is 28.07 per month for Bt together option and 2.55 for 1471 and 6.50 for CLI and 4.50
      for not paying by direct debit so all in this cost me 41.62 not inc vat per qaurter so now with getting line rental with sky is only 30 per qaurter
      Happy Days

Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
      Sorry to hijack this thread but i phoned sky to cancell skytalk as BT are charging me extra for CLI and 1471 as i dont use my phone via bt to make calls so the nice bloke at sky said you can have line rental with us at 10 per month and also get free 1471 and CLI to me this is good news as my bill with bt is 28.07 per month for Bt together option and 2.55 for 1471 and 6.50 for CLI and 4.50
      for not paying by direct debit so all in this cost me 41.62 not inc vat per qaurter so now with getting line rental with sky is only 30 per qaurter
      Happy Days
      You've got your knickers in a bit of a twist there.

Your bill with BT is 28.07 (excluding VAT) per quarter (not per month) for BT Together Option 1. That's 33 per quarter incl. VAT (the oft-quoted 11/month). Going paper-free knocks that down to 10.50/month.

There is no charge for 1471.

You are being charged 1/month for 1571 and 1.75/month for Caller Display because you don't make any calls via BT (as you have Sky CPS).

However, that's easily overcome - for 9p per month. Just make 2 UK 01 or 02 calls of less than an hour any evening or at the weekend via BT (i.e. use a 1280- prefix to 'hop back onto' BT). Those calls will cost you 4p each and will be enough to get you 1571 and Caller Display for 'almost' free.

Of course, if you do hand over your line rental to Sky, you'll not be able to use then likes of 1899, 18185 and 18866 and will have to pay Sky's charges for all calls.

I believe they only accept DD payments too but am not sure whether you can opt to have paper bills or whether it's just online/on TV.
      Last edited by Heinz; 11-10-07 at 05:17 PM.

TheDoctor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bourne
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yeah sorry long day at work need sleep lol any how the bill is in front of me and bt have charged me 2.55 and 6.50 for both of those services for the qaurter
      so still for me its cheaper to go with sky and also why should bt charge me 4.50 just because i dont want to pay via direct debit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
      yeah sorry long day at work need sleep lol any how the bill is in front of me and bt have charged me 2.55 and 6.50 for both of those services for the qaurter
      so still for me its cheaper to go with sky and also why should bt charge me 4.50 just because i dont want to pay via direct debit
      2.55 is 3 when VAT is added - so that's the charge for 1571 (which, as I say, can be avoided by making 9p-worth of calls).

The 6.50 one has me baffled - that's 7.64 when VAT is added but that doesn't equate to the 1.75/month (5.25.quarter) charged for Caller Display. Is that amount a charge for over 3 months by any chance?

With regards to DD payment, how much will Sky charge you if you don't pay by Direct Debit? Come to that, will they even allow you to pay any other way now?
      Last edited by Heinz; 11-10-07 at 06:24 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast