Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By bubblegun

Sky Sports to become exclusive home of F1

This is a discussion on Sky Sports to become exclusive home of F1 within the Sky Sports forums, part of the Sky TV Channels category; https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2016/sky-sports-to-become-exclusive-home-of-f1 Sky has agreed a new broadcast partnership with Formula One Management, strengthening its position as the home of sport ...

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky Sports to become exclusive home of F1

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2016/sky-sports-to-become-exclusive-home-of-f1

Sky has agreed a new broadcast partnership with Formula One Management, strengthening its position as the home of sport offering unrivalled choice for fans.

The new agreement comprises:
      •Exclusive: Sky Sports will be the home of Formula 1 in the UK and Ireland from 2019 to 2024, offering live coverage of every Grand Prix.
      •Free to air: The FORMULA 1 BRITISH GRAND PRIX, together with highlights of all other races and Qualifying sessions, will be shown on a ‘free-to-air’ basis.
      •Sky Sports Mix: Additionally at least two other ‘prime time’ live races a season will be offered on the soon-to-be-launched Sky Sports Mix along with other F1 content.
      •UHD: For the first time every race starting with the 2017 Championship will be shown in the stunning picture quality of Ultra High Definition via Sky Q, the next-generation home entertainment system.

Sky Sports F1 will continue to be the only place to watch each Grand Prix weekend live for the next three seasons in the UK, with 21 races live in 2016 beginning with the 2016 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX last weekend.

The new agreement builds on the success of Sky Sports F1 since the launch of the award-winning channel in 2012. More than 13 million viewers have already enjoyed its live coverage with many more following F1 racing across Sky Sports’ digital outlets.

Bernie Ecclestone, CEO Formula One Group said: “I am delighted that we will continue to work together. Sky’s commitment to the Sport and standard of coverage is second to none.”

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports said: “This is a brilliant deal that takes Sky’s partnership with F1 to the next level. Since 2012, we have demonstrated unrivalled commitment to F1, offering fans innovations including a dedicated channel and the very best broadcasting talent. We are delighted that we are strengthening our coverage for viewers even further, with live and exclusive F1 from 2019 and the chance to watch in Ultra High Definition for the first time from next season. We are pleased to support F1 and look forward to working with them to progress, develop and enhance coverage of the Championship during the agreement.”

Martin Brundle, commentator and analyst for Sky Sports F1 added: “I joined Sky Sports because I wanted to be part of a dedicated F1 channel with a total and long term commitment to the sport. And we have certainly delivered on that. In a fast changing media landscape, our coverage will get even better for F1 fans.”

The new deal further strengthens Sky Sports’ position as the home of sport in the UK and Ireland, offering viewers the very best choice across seven channels and award-winning digital outlets. This year, viewers can enjoy more of the best matches from the Premier League, all four golf Majors and the Ryder Cup, England Test cricket and Summer and Autumn International rugby union.

Sky Sports is available in more ways than ever before, including via NOW TV, which offers access to all seven Sky Sports channels for 6.99 for one day or 10.99 for a week pass.

This week Sky announced the launch of Sky Sports Mix, bringing a range of great moments from some of the world’s biggest sporting events to all its TV customers in the UK and Ireland at no extra cost.

Sky Sports began showing live F1 in 2012 and coverage includes every practice and qualifying session together with live coverage of each race. Viewers can enjoy the opinions and analysis from a broadcasting team that boasts three former F1 drivers, including 1996 World Champion Damon Hill together with Martin Brundle and Johnny Herbert.

As well as launching a channel dedicated to the sport, Sky Sports F1 became the first broadcaster to introduce touch-screen ‘SkyPad’ analysis from within the paddock, offers fans a multitude of additional viewing options via ‘F1 Race Control’ and offers an extensive schedule of features and support programmes.

Sky Sports won ‘Best TV Broadcaster Award for Outstanding Coverage’ for each of its first two seasons.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Sports to become exclusive home of F1

I guess that this was predictable when the BBC first sold a share of their rights to Sky.

Thankfully anyone who is currently able to get the Sky Sports F1 channel as a legacy item will also be able to get it with Sky Q. There have been a few issues with some lossing it, but this can now be rectified.

Anyone signng up to Sky as a new customer won't be so lucky though. They'll need to sign up to the full Sky Sports package.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I guess that this was predictable when the BBC first sold a share of their rights to Sky.

Thankfully anyone who is currently able to get the Sky Sports F1 channel as a legacy item will also be able to get it with Sky Q. There have been a few issues with some lossing it, but this can now be rectified.

Anyone signing up to Sky as a new customer won't be so lucky though. They'll need to sign up to the full Sky Sports package.
      Can you believe almost every customer I've ever spoken to claims to never watches it? But I suppose that's why they're calling to cancel!!

Now I take ages on each call if the customer will let me although I can cancel quickly if they insist.
      The other day I achieved a personal record last week by cancelling someone within 3 minutes including full billing which is very good/bad!!
      TBH I couldn't be arsed and he was ready for a fight so it was finished very quickly.
      Scubbie likes this.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Good luck to sky with this.
      Having had sky sports since it began and enjoy it most days and watched all their F1 coverage to date it will work for me.
      I and all my motorsport fans all watch on sky f1 and were glad to see the staid bbc coverage disappear, but beeb was interesting while it was there to compare.
      See that TSN Canada will be taking the full sky coverage from this year going forward, that will please a lot of Canadian F1 fans I know, who have welcomed that move.
      See C4 had a bad response to this news and came out and said they will not offer extra feeds or any extra forum content. They apparently had no inkling this was happening but had already said they had made no decision on whether to extend their current 'BBC loss' contract. Be interesting to see how they go down this weekend as its their first live race. C4 is just the same beeb team really, except the Suzy change.

As for those legacy customers, not sure how much longer that will continue like that, but do know a few who use it that way.
      Now tv would be their best bet for when that goes, especially the weekend pass.

Thanks

I missed it but are CH4 keeping the highlights deal for all the races on FTV channels or are they going to be on one of Sky's channels on freeviiew?
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      I missed it but are CH4 keeping the highlights deal for all the races on FTV channels or are they going to be on one of Sky's channels on freeviiew?
      That is the big question that noone knows exactly.
      For the new 2109 deal as was announced, its fta highlights from sky only and looking like on one of their fta channels, currently Pick.
      But there is still time for them to allow a third party to take the highlights on a terrestrial broadcaster fta channel, but C4 have already hinted that they will not extend their current deal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      That is the big question that noone knows exactly.
      For the new 2109 deal as was announced, its fta highlights from sky only and looking like on one of their fta channels, currently Pick.
      But there is still time for them to allow a third party to take the highlights on a terrestrial broadcaster fta channel, but C4 have already hinted that they will not extend their current deal.
      So a 15-minute show after the news on A (TBC) channel is the likely outcome?

I guess this end's speculation that Discovery/Eurosport was going to steal this package..?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

This was one of the points raised in the F1 drivers recent letter. Putting F1 behind a Sat TV pay wall is reducing and will further reduce viewers of the sport. Not much anyone can do about it when money is king.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This was one of the points raised in the F1 drivers recent letter. Putting F1 behind a Sat TV pay wall is reducing and will further reduce viewers of the sport. Not much anyone can do about it when money is king.
      Haha that is old news now as was the first deal
      Because of the amount that Sky and some others worldwide making such large offers they have now changed their minds.

Plastivore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: VoIP!
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media XL
      Router: Virgin Media Super Hub 2ac
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I don't think Eurosport are 'big' enough to get F1 rights, though I must admit I don't really want to take Sky Sports when the only I'll watch is Formula 1... I wouldn't have minded BT Sports to get the rights, though, as I quite like the idea of watching Formula 1 and the America's Cup for a reasonable price.

30/month just to watch Formula 1 is just waaaaaaaaaay too much. And the NowTV weekend passes end up being too expensive, as you end up paying more or less the same amount of money (if not more if you watch all the races that way!) to watch a stream, which I remember is not very good quality (although it seems NowTV has improved since its beginning). Last resort: go to the pub.