Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree3Likes
    • 2 Post By Scubbie
    • 1 Post By lettice

Sky Sports brings back record-breaking darts channel

This is a discussion on Sky Sports brings back record-breaking darts channel within the Sky Sports forums, part of the Sky TV Channels category; https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...-darts-channel Sky Sports is bringing back its dedicated darts channel this year, following a record-breaking debut during the William Hill ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Sky Sports brings back record-breaking darts channel

https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...-darts-channel

Sky Sports is bringing back its dedicated darts channel this year, following a record-breaking debut during the William Hill World Darts Championship a year ago.

Launching on Monday 14 December, Sky Sports Darts will give fans 23 days of non-stop tungsten action from Alexandra Palace.

After an unprecedented 2015 World Championship that saw over four million viewers tune in throughout the tournament, Sky Sports Darts will again follow every round live as the best players in the world compete for the Sid Waddell Trophy.

Last year 1.7m viewers tuned in for the final that saw Gary Anderson triumph over Phil Taylor, edging a classic match 7-6, while viewing across the tournament increased by 25% on the previous year.

Rory Hopkins, Sky Sports executive producer for darts, said: "Last year saw more viewers than ever before tune into the World Championship, and creating Sky Sports Darts was hugely popular. Its a firm favourite at Christmas and we look forward to giving it the full Sky Sports treatment over the festive period. Fans wont miss an arrow of the action with every leg live, plus some in depth features and classic past encounters making our dedicated channel must see festive TV.

Michael van Gerwen, PDC world number one and the 2014 World Champion added: I cant wait to get back to Ally Pally and compete to regain the title. The atmosphere is always electric and Sky Sports Darts means that everyone at home will get a real sense of the occasion. The competition will be tougher than ever this year and Im expecting some incredible matches. What better way to spend the festive season.

Fans will also be treated to in depth features, documentaries and memorable match ups from the past that have made the World Championship one of the biggest events in sport.

The channel will replace Sky Sports F1 from 0600 Monday 14 December to Tuesday 5 January and all live sessions will also be simulcast on Sky Sports 1, 2 or 3. Non-subscribers can also enjoy daily, weekly or monthly access to Sky Sports Darts and Sky Sports other six channels contract-free with NOW TV.

Live coverage of the 2016 William Hill World Darts Championship will be presented by Dave Clark who will be joined in the studio by three-time World Champion John Part, Wayne Mardle and former World Champions Eric Bristow and Rod Harrington.

Sky Sports will offer unrivalled live coverage of the 2016 William Hill Darts World Championship across TV, online and via mobile and tablet devices with Sky Go.

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Re: Sky Sports brings back record-breaking darts channel

I'm amazed looking at those viewing figures that so many watch the Darts.
      I love all kinds of sports and even will allow it to use our F1 channel in its winter break.
      Have heard that these temporary channel renames, like Sky did for the Ashes work very well and gets a thumbs up viewers.

But for me, struggle to think how watching these beer swilling giants just tediously aiming at the treble 20, with shouting of 180, offers much attraction. Not sure I've ever heard of anyone mention to me in person 'Did you watch the darts last night?'.

Thanks

Darts does have a historical image of being a pub game. With the slow demise of pubs it is good that Darts has been able to get out into the wider public but it still has strong ties to the pubs.

As there isn't really that much happening in the F1 world over the winter period, well not that we see it on the TV anyway, it does make good sense for Sky to utilise a channel that would otherwise be virtually dormant.

I doubt that the Sky coverage will be anything like this though...

lettice and marjohn56 like this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Thanks

Darts, Snooker, and Tennis are like watching paint dry but i do love sport just not them 3

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

Thanks

Just classic that clip. Be good to have those on uk gold or similar.
      Sums it all up perfectly for me.
      Do occasionally see it in a pub, we certainly have plenty in our neck of the woods, both sides of the harbour.
      But they generally revolve around sky sports now and BT sports (spit!) of course. Mostly football.
      Not seen a darts match ever on tv in the pub and anyway we will be having fun at home and with family over Christmas, not frequenting a pub.

Thanks

Pompey used to more pubs per head of population than any other place in the UK at one time. I hope that this is still true, but sadly a lot have closed.

Of course there is Karen Murphy who was showing Premiership matches using a non-Sky/BT subscription & STB. Instead she subscribes to a Greek provider.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Some quotes I had bookmarked

Two hundred years ago Gosport, the victualling town for Portsmouth ships of the line, was also the drinking and whoring base for visiting sailors. It boasted 123 pubs in one square mile
      The Ron Brown book states Portsmouth Town (what we'd now call Old Portsmouth) and Portsmouth Common (what we'd now call the area of Portsea) had 155 inns/ brandy shops/ coffee houses by 1716 of which 41 were on the Point alone.
      Due to problems with drunks, in 1866 Portsmouth Town Council agreed to adopt the Public House Act of 1864 requiring drinking houses to close between 1am and 4am.
      At this point Portsmouth had 277 public houses and 545 beerhouses - one drinking house per 100 residents.
      By 1915 Portsmouth had 305 pubs and 372 beerhouses.
      Remember reading long time ago that Portsmouth in our local rag that Portsmouth was not, but beaten by Norwich, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Gibraltar.
      Whatever they say, I agree pubs everywhere and still to see whether used or not. One on the corner of my raod, a fantastic victorian built building and is still a well frequented pub.
      The boasting was was used as a tourism ploy many moons ago.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pubs-Portsmo.../dp/1848687230
      Last edited by lettice; 08-11-15 at 05:13 PM.

Thanks

I know that Gib has a lot of pubs in it's 'Main Street'. I hadn't realised that it beat Portsmouth though.

The others I've not been to so don't know enough to compare.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Of course there is Karen Murphy who was showing Premiership matches using a non-Sky/BT subscription & STB. Instead she subscribes to a Greek provider.
      Looks like this debate is still rumbling on.
      Uusing logo-masking technology in an attempt to avoid prosecution.
      https://recombu.com/digital/article/...ellite-systems
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

That is pathetic.

She won the case in the European courts. The Premier League just can't play fair.