Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky Sports wins live Premier League rights

This is a discussion on Sky Sports wins live Premier League rights within the Sky Sports forums, part of the Sky TV Channels category; https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...-league-rights Sky has strengthened its position as the home of sport and unrivalled choice for sports fans by winning the ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Sky Sports wins live Premier League rights

https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...-league-rights
      Sky has strengthened its position as the home of sport and unrivalled choice for sports fans by winning the UK rights to 126 live Premier League matches a season from 2016-17 to 2018-19.

In a successful outcome to the Premier League’s tender process, Sky Sports was awarded five packs of live rights. Sky will pay £1,392 million per annum for each of the three years of the new agreement, representing an 83% increase over the cost of the existing contract.

The new deal ensures that Sky Sports will be the only place to follow the biggest matches and stories throughout the Premier League season. Viewers will be able to rely on Sky Sports to bring them three times as many live matches as any other broadcaster, including the best match picks and the most-watched slots in the schedule. By securing the rights to matches on Friday evenings for the first time, Sky Sports will also bring viewers an entirely new way to start the weekend with live Premier League football.

The expanded schedule of live Premier League matches will be a key part of the unrivalled breadth of coverage offered by Sky Sports across seven channels. After 25 rights deals in 2014, and a new agreement for live rights to The Open golf championship from 2017, Sky has secured long-term visibility over its market-leading rights portfolio and future costs.

The key points of the new Premier League rights deal include:

• More live matches than ever before, with 126 fixtures a season versus 116 under the existing contract
      • Live coverage on more days of the week, with matches on Friday evenings for the first time as well as Saturday afternoons, Sunday afternoons and Monday evenings
      • The best match picks, including 26 first picks and 31 second picks, meaning that Sky Sports will offer more of the biggest matches
      • Live coverage of every Premier League club at least four times a season
      • Rights to offer live coverage across a range of platforms, including online and mobile
      • Access to all 126 matches a season through the Sky Sports day pass and week pass on NOW TV

The new Premier League deal follows Sky’s excellent start to the financial year. During the three months to 31 December 2014, Sky added new customers in the UK and Ireland at the highest rate in nine years and sold more than one million subscription products. Group revenue rose by 5% to more than £11 billion per annum and operating profit was up 16% at £675 million in the first half of the year.

The price paid per annum is around £330 million more than analysts’ forecasts. Sky has a clear set of plans in place to fund the bid and deliver its financial plans in line with expectations. The company will work hard to minimise the impact of higher rights costs on customers, with the majority of the funding coming through substantial additional savings to be delivered by efficiency plans.

Jeremy Darroch, Sky’s Group Chief Executive, said:

“This is a good result and confirms that Sky is the unrivalled choice for sports fans. We went into the Premier League auction with a clear objective and are pleased to have secured the rights that we wanted.

“Our strong performance across the board gives us financial strength and flexibility. We have a clear plan to absorb the cost of the new Premier League deal while delivering our financial plans.”

Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports, added:

“We are looking forward to bringing even more live Premier League football to viewers. Only Sky Sports will have the best match picks and the best slots so our viewers will be able to follow the biggest matches, the key head to heads and every club at least four times. No other broadcaster comes close.

“The best Premier League coverage is part of an unrivalled range of sport across our seven channels and digital platforms. This new deal follows our recent success in the rights market, ensuring Sky Sports will be the first choice for years to come.”

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Sky Sports wins live Premier League rights

£5.1 billion splurged on Premier League TV rights

thinkbroadband :: £5.1 billion splurged on Premier League TV rights
      The amount of money BT Consumer has spent on football rights in the past has been used as a stick to beat the provider with, so the latest round Premier League rights announced this afternoon is going upset a good number of people.

Some £5.136 billion was spent on seven packages of content, five secured by Sky and the remaining two by BT Sport. This represents a large increase of £2 billion on the cost of the existing contracts and shows the degree of competition between Sky and BT to secure content that generates revenue from both sales to pubs and clubs and secures on-going subscriptions to their TV or broadband services.

Sky is saying the deal has strengthened their position with the rights to broadcast 126 live Premier League matches in the 2016/2017 to 2018/2019 seasons, and for the first time rights to Friday evening matches. The rights also stretch beyond broadcast TV to online and mobile access.

The money Sky is spending on the TV rights makes the FTTP trial they are working on in York look like small change now. Breaking the Sky dominance of sports broadcasting in the UK is seen as something that needs to be done, but given the anger expressed over the sums BT is spending to try and achieve this one wonders if BT is the vehicle to do this, and if it is not BT then who could step in?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

As a non sports subscriber i'm not too sure how i feel about this.

I only watch a few football matches approximately once every 2 years (england ) & they're always free.
      Maybe i'll form a better opinion after the next round of inevitable tv sub price rises.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Well done sky, will keep enjoying the best football coverage and im happy now i dont have to think about any 3/4 play move to bt, phew! Not that i thought it would ever happen

No sign of the rumoured discovery and bein sports, thanks to the fa there it seems.

Going to enjoy those new fri night matches.
      Quite a bit of football league matches that will have to be moved or clash now.
      Last edited by lettice; 10-02-15 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      ...Maybe i'll form a better opinion after the next round of inevitable tv sub price rises.
      This is one of my concerns too.

Sky should be able to raise the fees charged to the advertisers and no doubt the Sky Sports subscription fees will have to be increased as well.

What will BT do though? Will they finally start charging everyone for BT Sports or continue to offer it for free to anyone on BT Fibre (or at least many of them)?

Another important question: How will the FA spend the money?
      wizard200 likes this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I'm a football fan but my team is not a Premier League club so they might appear on Sky Sports once a season if they are lucky.

I'm also a cricket fan but cricket doesn't earn anything like Premier League football from TV rights. Cricket is my main reason for subscribing to Sky Sports. But my subs will still go up!

Maybe there's a case for a "two tier" Sky Sports sub? The full monty (full price)?and the football-less monty (cheaper price for those who don't want to see/subsidise football coverage).
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite
      Maybe there's a case for a "two tier" Sky Sports sub? The full monty (full price)?and the football-less monty (cheaper price for those who don't want to see/subsidise football coverage).
      But then riding into the equation comes the next biggest argument for that system - formula 1.

So if sky ever caved in to the pressure, a 2 tier system would quickly come under fire from the F1 camp.
      Then golf fans, rugby fans & cricket fans etc would be on their case & justifiably so.
      (Not to mention my own lobbying for lawnmower action )

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Thanks

Hello All
      I think for Sky its great news but I am afraid that someone is going to pay !! ie the
      customer !! which only confirms my reason for not taking the 'sports pack; last year
      which with HD was just too much money on top of my monthly payments.
      I would love to have F1 / football but there is only so much money in the kitty !!
      I suppose this will allow Mr Rooney to be paid even more then his current 300k a week !!
      next season...........Just a Thought...........

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      But then riding into the equation comes the next biggest argument for that system - formula 1.
      Ah yes, F1. Forgot about F1. OK, if not a two tier sub/package, then maybe some kind of "pay per (major) sport"?

Let's not forget that no doubt *ALL* Sky Sports subscribers will be "paying" for the cost of Premier League football coverage - regardless of whether or not we watch it!

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      "Sky shares fall after Premier League TV rights deal"

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31410300

One or two interesting quotes and points there:

- Sky paid 83% more than it did in the last auction three years ago
      - BT paid 30% more than last time
      - the outcome had been "sobering" for Sky, "reassuring" for BT
      - the deal would be "challenging to explain" to Sky shareholders
      - Sky paid £330m per year than expected
      - clawback will be £200m from cost-cutting and £100m per year by incremental price increases
      - "BT appeared to have got the better deal"
      - "Sky has paid dearly and is going to have to squeeze costs and customers to keep its finances on track"
      - "BT has ended up with a good hand - Premiership, Champions League, FA Cup and European leagues, all for a fraction of the cost that Sky has paid for its premiership position"

When will this Premier League money madness end?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast