Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By lettice

Sky Sports awarded exclusive live coverage of The Open

This is a discussion on Sky Sports awarded exclusive live coverage of The Open within the Sky Sports forums, part of the Sky TV Channels category; https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...ge-of-the-open Sky Sports will offer exclusively live coverage of The Open thanks to a new five year partnership with The ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Sky Sports awarded exclusive live coverage of The Open

https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...ge-of-the-open

Sky Sports will offer exclusively live coverage of The Open thanks to a new five year partnership with The R&A announced today.

Sky Sports has been awarded the exclusive live rights to golf’s oldest Major from 2017, meaning viewers can enjoy a live golf schedule offering over 100 tournaments a year, including all four Majors, the Ryder Cup, European Tour and PGA Tour.

Sky Sports will extend and enhance coverage of The Open, including live coverage of all four days' play in their entirety across TV, online, mobile and tablet devices, allowing customers to watch wherever they are.

Both new and existing golf fans will benefit from this partnership, which will enable The R&A to make a ground-breaking investment in grassroots golf, and work with Sky Sports to excite and engage viewers through the innovative coverage.

The full schedule is available to those that subscribe to Sky Sports, to existing Sky customers for as little as £24.50 a month and also to non-subscribers through NOW TV, the UK’s leading streaming service available on 60 devices, which offers access to all seven sport channels for £6.99 a day or through a week pass at £10.99.

The Open joins an unrivalled schedule of sport on Sky which also includes Barclays Premier League and international football, ICC and England Test match cricket, Formula 1, England rugby union, the Ryder Cup, Major golf and US Open tennis.

Barney Francis, Sky Sports Managing Director, said: “The Open is the world’s preeminent golf championship and we are committed to taking coverage of the event to new levels. We offer something for every sports fan and this exciting agreement for The Open means our customers can now enjoy all four Majors live. Sky Sports has a passion for golf that has spanned two decades, offering unrivalled commitment, airtime and promotion as well as year-round innovative coverage. We look forward to working with The R&A to entertain and engage new and existing golf fans through our multi-platform coverage and also at the grassroots level via Sky Academy.”

Peter Dawson, Chief Executive of The R&A, said: “We believe this is the best result for The Open and for golf. The way people consume live sport is changing significantly and this new agreement ensures fans have a range of options for enjoying the Championship on television and through digital channels. Sky Sports has an excellent track record in covering golf across its platforms and has become the home of live golf coverage over recent years. We are very much looking forward to working with them to develop and enhance the coverage of The Open.”

The new rights agreement also offers Sky Sports viewers exclusively live coverage of The Walker Cup in 2019 at Royal Liverpool.

Golf coverage features on Sky Sports every week of the year and the studio’s golf analysis team, with some of the sport’s biggest names, and over 200 tournament wins and 43 Ryder Cup appearances between them, including Jack Nicklaus, Colin Montgomerie, Butch Harmon and Paul McGinley.

Sky has pioneered golf innovations to continually develop the coverage and to bring fans closer to the sport, including showing all three days in full of The Ryder Cup, HD, 3D, interactive and multi-platform coverage, and more in-depth analysis through the Shot Centre and Sky Cart.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Sports awarded exclusive live coverage of The Open

Looks like the Beeb will be restricted to events like the national Kabbadi finals.

I always thought the Open was one of the events, like the Boat race, Derby etc., which was guaranteed to be available to all. I suppose that list has fallen by the wayside due to financial pressure.

Having had a look it seems the Open was put in Category B in 2000, so the live boadcast has been up for grabs for some years.
      Ofcom Code on Sports and Other Listed and Designated Events - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

My thoughts are that the BBC can't have their cake & eat it.

IMO a publicly funded broadcaster shouldn't be entering into bidding wars at this kind of level anyway, so this is probably good news for those pushing to keep the licence fee at the charter review.

If they were to scrap the fee, then IMO huge outlays to secure sports rights etc are more justifiable.

Thanks

Whilst I might not be a huge sports fan, I do recognise the fact that the BBC does produce some great sports coverage.

Sure the Open will be upsetting for both the BBC and the many viewers out there who don't have Sky TV.

With five dedicate Sports channels and the news channel, Sky have a lot of of scheduling time to fill now. Some might argue even more since they lost a lot of the Football coverage to BT.

As for where the BBC get their money, I think that the License fee should be buried in some unmarked grave.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Its six sports channels and sky sports news hq, you forgot sky sports f1

Glad this is on sky, their golf coverage has been great for many years.

BBC need to have a sponsored/advert/subscription channel for sports now to compete. Their sports advantage for me as a dedicated sports fan lost any advantage many years ago.
      The olympics, commenwealth games, world cup and fa cup i suppose are the only ones left now for the free sport user.
      Boat race, who cares!
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Thanks for correcting me there. Yes I had forgotten the F1 channel.

Perhaps the BBC could start to move into the subscription business with a dedicated BBC Sports channel. I think that would be a positive step for them, but I know that a lot of people would resent it citing that they already pay the draconian TV License fee.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie
      Whilst I might not be a huge sports fan, I do recognise the fact that the BBC does produce some great sports coverage.
      Many would say that it has consistently produced the best & over several decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie
      Sure the Open will be upsetting for both the BBC and the many viewers out there who don't have Sky TV.
      However, it'll probably be seen as a blessing to the vast majority of the population who have no interest in golf.

Although perhaps not a popular view on this forum, i do believe in the principles on which the BBC was (hopefully) conceived & don't mind stating it.

To cut a long story short, i say:
      Leave all the filming & broadcasting of millionaires trying to get a ball in a hole / over a line / through a hoop or over a net to the pay TV companies willing to provide that footage.