Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

News about your ESPN subscription

This is a discussion on News about your ESPN subscription within the Sky Sports forums, part of the Sky TV Channels category; I have been a subscriber to ESPN since 2009. I have not asked to cancel my subscription. Today I received ...

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I have been a subscriber to ESPN since 2009. I have not asked to cancel my subscription.

Today I received an email from Sky that said, "From 31 July 2013 your ESPN subscription will be coming to an end. To make the process as smooth as possible, we’ll remove it from your account automatically on 31 July and we won’t charge you for it after this date".

I was unable to find anything about this on the ESPN website, and no more details on the Sky website.

Does anyone know what is going on here?
      JPL

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: News about your ESPN subscription

I wonder if it has something to do with this news report:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/enter...tml#post406681

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

macgalileo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I believe 100% that is because of new BT contract, I would prefer to have more details on this email because i thought that something wrong going to my account. I saw that nothing important was till 31/7/2013 for me on ESPN and i choose the option of cancelation within 31 days notice. I think that now where NBA is also with SUNDAY games on sky sports 1 and only a few games important for me that was a lot of money the 10£ per month

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

That seems a reasonable assumption, but Sky made no mention of any reason why my "subscription will be coming to an end". Will ESPN channels no longer be broadcast on Sky? Or is it just that the method of payment is to change from being within the Sky subscription to a direct payment to ESPN?

But it is often difficult for a mere customer to find out exactly what is being paid for. I'm probably being unrealistic in wanting to know what I shall not be paying for.
      JPL

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

When Sky recently closed the Children's Disney channel, they annouced the closuer of the channel whilst negotiations were going on around the new Disney Movie channel.

I am not saying that this is most definately the case with ESPN but I suspect that it will be.

There was specualtion surrounding how BT would broadcast their rights to show some of the footie games next season and there was some speculation that they intended to loose a lot of money over it for the first year.

Does this indicate that they are prepared to loose the transponder on the satellites? Perhaps it is an expensive game of "Call my bluff".

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There is a good chance if you want to continue with ESPN you will have to subscribe to BT Vision. I can't see them selling the rights back to Sky, that would do their BT Vision service no good.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is a good chance if you want to continue with ESPN you will have to subscribe to BT Vision. I can't see them selling the rights back to Sky, that would do their BT Vision service no good.
      BT are selling the channels directly themselves onto satellite just like Setanta ( formerly) , Box Nation, Premier sports, View Asia, etc.

They already announced this and that they wrote recruiting 800 staff into their contact centres to sell it.

They already have two channels reserved in the sky guide and presumably they will have 2 (or 4 inc hd?) more from ESPN.

Any plan to start a sports channel at the price they paid without targeting Sky's 10million customers would be commercial suicide.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky