Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Gray's sacking: an absolute joke

This is a discussion on Gray's sacking: an absolute joke within the Sky Sports forums, part of the Sky TV Channels category; Andy Gray's sacking is ridiculous. For many people, Sky Sports is the only reason to get Sky at all, and ...

Steve666 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Gray's sacking: an absolute joke

Andy Gray's sacking is ridiculous. For many people, Sky Sports is the only reason to get Sky at all, and Andy Gray and his match analyses are what makes Sky Sports so good. Seriously considering cancelling my subscription over this nonsense. Gray was one of the few presenters who actually knew what he was talking about.

Charlotte Jackson has no connection to football and the only reason she's even on Sky Sports is because she is a good-looking woman that we viewers can leer over. How is that not more sexist than what Andy Gray did? And jokes about women and the offside rule have been a staple of comedy for years, no-one in their right mind could care about that. Loose Women is more sexist than that, every day. Perhaps Gray should get a job with ITV, they could do with someone who actually knows a little about the game, and sexism clearly doesn't bother them.

Anyone who cares about the way football is presented should complain about every sexist comment made by women on TV from now on. Come on, lads, let's get dialing - if we can get Jo Brand banned from TV first that would be good, after that we can go after Loose Women. Who's with me? Does that sound ridiculous? Yes, it does, but only as ridiculous as the decision to sack Andy Gray over nothing was.
      Last edited by Steve666; 26-01-11 at 10:21 AM.

2. Advertisement
      paulcarrm9mx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Gray's sacking: an absolute joke

typical stereo type person THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to paulcarrm9mx For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (26-01-11)

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I never even knew who he was until it was on the news.

I don't know what the offside rule is either. Apart from the explanation on The Full Monty.

Whilst I can see both sides of the coin, I think deep down a lot of men think like that anyway. What he should have done, is made sure no-one was listening.

As for the other incident, then that was just stupid imo
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Golden rule of Television treat all microphones and cameras as being live.

The thing is behind the scenes TV and Radio has the majority of the production staff as women. Keep on making cracks like that and you will be alienating a lot of the staff and Andy Gray was already in trouble for alledged sexual harressment before this anyways.

Given the lag between the suspension and sacking I would suspect that there was a sudden surge in Sky Sports cancellations and that would have been noticed by the senior managers.

There is also an ongoing OFCOM investigation into the BBC and Sky about the channels having sexist hiring policies of it's presenters, not a very good time for Andy Gray to have been caught.

Although I wouldn't feel too sorry for Andy Gray looking at his house he has a fair bit of cash in the bank and he'll be given a job somewhere when this all blows over.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah, I'm not saying that Gray's actions weren't dumb. They were dumb. I just think that sacking him for it is crazy. I just found out that even Coleen Nolan (one of the Loose Women) agrees with me. At the end of the day, if Ben Shephard, or whoever it was, hadn't made this public no-one would care, but Loose Women are allowed to say sexist things ON AIR every weekday morning - that is in fact the entire point of the show.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Basically, it comes down to this: Sky Sports should be striving to give viewers the best football coverage possible, by sacking Andy Gray they are deliberately not doing this. It has nothing to do with Gray as a person, it is no surprise that he is a bit of a git, but he is the best at his job.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Exclamation Re: Gray's sacking: an absolute joke

For all those individuals who think it is acceptable to continue to make jokes out of other people for their differences, this is a wake-up call, your days are numbered.

The Sex Discrimination Act 1974 was actually a big sell out. It was agreed that certain business elements could roll out certain parts of it over a long period of time or be exempted. Often these deadlines were never enforced or continuously extended. Women never truly had equality and it has taken 36 years for this to be corrected in law. Other Acts of Parliament also provided protection for other groups of people, but these often made things complicated as one Act would be amended in parts, whilst other Acts did not reflect those amendments.

The Equality Act came into force last year (1st October 2010). There are many improved factors, for example it is an offence to discriminate against someone because you think that they are Gay, even if they are not. In many cases it is also an offence to discriminate against someone because a family member has a protected characteristic.

Many people have differences. The Equality Act seeks to ensure that those who are or perceived to be different are protected. It has been on the cards for a long time now that people should put their prejudice aside and work to get on with people.

IMHO the Equality Act does not go far enough in specific areas. It fails to protect children properly at school and it fails to protect some communities at all. It also actually allows the Armed Forces to ignore the Act completely in many cases.

There remains a lot to be suitably resolved within the Equality Act, for example it specifically does not state that one of the seven protected characteristics shall have precedence over another. This will be born out either by the circumstances or by court cases (see the story of the gay couple in the B&B).

Many Acts of Parliament were ended (repealed) when the Equality Act came into force. However, there have also been various Acts of Parliament that came into force after the Equality Bill (as it was known) was first published, or were amended, and have not been covered properly within the Act. It will be interesting to see what happens when cases come to court that cross their issues as they should have been within the Equality Act but have been excluded from it.

There was a really powerful advertising campaign during the 1980s. It highlighted the pay gap between men and women. It advised parents that they should pay their daughters less pocket money than their sons so that they would get used to what it would be like at work. Many people realised that this was wrong and recognised that this is what was happening in the work place.

Sport has a very bad history of abuse in this country. Recent campaigns have highlighted that it is not acceptable to be prejudiced at work, so why is it acceptable at the stadium? Sport has still a long way to go to help promote acceptance of others.

With this in mind, I trust that you can see why it was right to sack Andy Gray, or perhaps you would advocate the reintroduction of signs in the street stating “No Blacks, Irish or Jews welcome here”, as was common during the 50s & 60s?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

steelysteph (26-01-11)

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Whether we like it or not, this is always going to go on.

I must get at least 5 to 10 jokes a day similar, by text. Do I think it is wrong?

Probably not.

Do I find it funny?

Sometimes.

Does the person who sent it mean it?

Probably not.

It exists, it always has done, and it always will do.

Even my wife, said, whilst watching Sky News, "What was the woman doing as a referee / lines person (so I don't upset anyone), it's a bloke's game"

So should I report her?

I just think it has all been blown out of proportion, and sometimes if we didn't have the PC or the H&S brigade, this country would run just that little bit better.

I bet, over 99% of jibes etc are not ill intentioned.

/flame me away.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

Scubbie, can you honestly not see the difference between making a joke that you know is offensive to certain people and discriminating against those people? If not then you are a fool. I'm one of only two men where I work, that's a whole factory, banter is not a problem. Should I really be reporting people for making a sexist joke? I don't think so. I haven't been discriminated against, though I am coincidentally paid the least out of everyone.

I mean, really, I second everything Newsreader just said. I've even heard women saying that women commentators "sound wrong". If you think what Andy Gray said is bad you should hear the way men speak about women (and each other, to be fair) when you're not around. You've seen the kids stood at the bus stop on South Park? That's what men are like when you're not around, even the ones you love. That's just what men do. Wait, was I just being sexist towards men? Oh no!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think the most shocking thing about this is that it was a private conversation which was (probably illegally) recorded. If men, and women for that matter, can't joke privately among themselves then something is seriously wrong.

LOOK OUT, 1984 IS HERE,
      BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast