Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Gray's sacking: an absolute joke

This is a discussion on Gray's sacking: an absolute joke within the Sky Sports forums, part of the Sky TV Channels category; Is anything happening to the individual ( was going to say rat, but thought better of it) who made a ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Gray's sacking: an absolute joke

Is anything happening to the individual ( was going to say rat, but thought better of it) who made a private conversation public, he should also be sacked, but I suppose he will be hailed as a hero by the PC brigade.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Steve666 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Ah, I can still remember Alex Ferguson's stirring rendition of My Humps. Good times. At the time I did think "wait . . . what humps?" but clearly he must have been referring to the fatty deposits on his back. Yeah, I have emotional problems.

"And one that every person who is male that I know, probably shares."

You know, I doubt that, to be honest. I reckon Sian Massey couldn't do much worse than the linesmen we've already got (HINT: VIDEO TECHNOLOGY PLEASE, SEPP), and I think Andy Gray's comment to Charlotte Jackson was somewhat cringeworthy - Keys' "did you smash it?" comment even more so really. I'm merely saying that firing someone for making a joke is over the top, which it is.

And, no, I doubt anything will happen to the person(s) who made the conversation public, it's especially unlikely seeing as it just so happened to be exactly the kind of thing that the people in charge of the company were looking for at the time.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I see the assistant referee in question has been dropped from another match, one in some obscure league way below the kind you get on TV. I wonder why? Maybe they are protecting her from the unprincipled louts who would shout insults at her. Male assistant refs are never insulted in any way of course.

Does anyone else think it funny that Scottish referees are sponsored by Specsavers?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah, that's pretty funny. Not as funny as Scottish football though. Yeah, I went there.

The thing is, right, Massey didn't even get a lot of stick from the crowd before, but you know she'll probably be wolf whistled every game now, she'll most likely be remembered for a long time as the one who got Andy Gray sacked, and not so much for doing a good job, because, let's face it, no-one remembers linesmen who get it right. She'll probably take all the stick for the idiots who fired Gray, and become a symbol of this PC nonsense. No-one will actually think it's her fault that Gray got the sack (I doubt most even care about Gray, more about what this whole situation stands for - no more jokes, or else), but it will be used against her in an attempt to make her mess up. See, that's the thing with the crowds, people are gonna do anything to try and put you off, doesn't mean they actually believe what they're saying. Of course, there are people who really do believe that gay people can't play football, or whatever, but mainly it's just to put people off by saying what you know will probably annoy them, or simple banter between fans. Massey's job has just been made that little bit harder (just like my . . . oh, never mind), and if she can't take it people will just say that all men who watch football are sexists, which isn't really the case, not like how people are saying anyway.

I do think some men, particularly older men, are genuinely worried about what will happen with more women getting involved in football, mainly because we just don't know what will happen. I expect nothing will happen, but it's like when your girlfriend moves in and suddenly there are candles and cushions everywhere, you know? I reckon some guys just think "this is our thing, we like it as it is, most women couldn't give a crap about it, but we do, so please don't mess with it". That kind of thing. Honestly, I think that's where most of the reluctance to let women in on it comes from, and it is pretty sexist, but there it is. Obviously, as people get more confident that it's going to be fine, these attitudes will mellow, as they gradually have done over the years, hence female linesmen, but I don't think the younger fans are worried about it much at all, and most of it is just banter anyway. I think more men are worried about the randomness of Sepp Blatter's mind than anything else to do with the future of the game - in my heart, I know this to be true. You just don't know what that crazy mofo will do next . . . Rush goalies? Mars 2050? Actual shootouts? Watch this space.

I think this quote from Fabio Capello unintentionally sums up male thought processes pretty well - "I hear there is a sexism row but I played a lot of games with a woman linesman in Italy . . . Every time she was focused and made the correct decisions. The women linesmen are good . . . I do remember, though, I asked the referee where the woman washed and changed after the game."

See, there's no real harm in what he said there, and, you have to admit, he was doing really well up until the last sentence, but he just couldn't help himself. He is a man, after all.

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I see the assistant referee in question has been dropped from another match, one in some obscure league way below the kind you get on TV. I wonder why?
      From the BBC report:
      "Corby had reported a huge demand for access by television crews after Massey was put in charge of the game. "

She had nothing to do with this farce, except trying to do her job. The media should leave her alone.

Exchange:
      Thanks

"The media should leave her alone."

Not going to happen, I'm afraid. I can see it now . . . Massey Watch! That's just the kind of thing The Sun would do, rating random aspects of her performance out of ten (or a simple yes/no game), they love that kind of thing.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve666 View Post
      Not going to happen, I'm afraid. I can see it now . . . Massey Watch! That's just the kind of thing The Sun would do, rating random aspects of her performance out of ten (or a simple yes/no game), they love that kind of thing.
      Sadly, I have to agree with you on this, anything to sell papers, thats if the rag in question can be placed in that category.

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve666 View Post
      "The media should leave her alone."

It would be a bit ironic if they did as it was another Murdoch company that started this.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Nige, I am very sorry, but I can't seem to get private messages to send, my computer isn't liking it, for some reason. I'm going to post your message along with my response here, I hope you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by nige1983
      Nige: On the other hand, now that people can get fired for it, don't you think a lot of people will be saying "well, Andy Gray got fired for it". How about a middle approach where Andy Gray is simply made to look like the idiot he is, and forced to eat humble pie by apologising over and over on national TV. That would have been more fitting, don't you agree? It could have been pretty funny too, I reckon.

Totally agree Steve especially about the apology. How funny would it of been for the presenter to say "take a bow son" and then Andy gives his full apology!!

There does have to be a middle, you're dead right. I can see umpteen sackings in sky's offices for people doing next to nothing, once you set a precident...

I still genuinely believe that there is more footage of "wrong doing" (i ise the term loosely) and they have sacked him to get patted on the back in a few weeks. What's your view on that? Do you think there is more.

Loved the post by the way
      There's a pretty good chance that there is more footage, as Andy Gray is known to say that kind of thing fairly often. I'd be surprised if there wasn't, they kind of need more to justify the sacking to football lovers. On the other hand, they don't really need any more footage to justify it to the general public, as they seem to be getting a few 'pats on the back', as it were, already. I don't think the rest of the staff at Sky Sports should be too worried, as it seems likely that the sexist comments are not the real reason for Gray's sacking, but I guess if there are other people working at Sky Sports that suddenly become a problem, they could probably find more footage like this to get rid of them. Either way, this certainly does set a precedent. I'm more worried about my own job now, as I (and, to be fair, most of the people I work with) can be sacked now, if this standard is applied to the general public. As Scubbie said in her own special way, our days are supposedly numbered now, and it's not just the odd man-hater that's saying this, most men on TV are pretending to agree with this, fearing being labelled 'dinosaurs' if they go against it. It's quite sad.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Sadly, I have to agree with you on this, anything to sell papers, thats if the rag in question can be placed in that category.
      Well, toilet paper is still paper, am I right? I only wish they would start using quilted paper, that would be convenient.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast