Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Gray's sacking: an absolute joke

This is a discussion on Gray's sacking: an absolute joke within the Sky Sports forums, part of the Sky TV Channels category; Steph: Of course I would say that to a man! In fact, I do say things like that. All. The. ...

Steve666 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Gray's sacking: an absolute joke

Steph: Of course I would say that to a man! In fact, I do say things like that. All. The. Freakin'. Time. Don't you get it? This has already been explained in a previous post. Though I'm sure that would be discriminating against male homosexuals in your eyes, so whatever. I notice how you sidestep every single point I made. Put simply, how is getting someone fired for something so trivial, potentially ruining their life and the lives of their family, morally justifiable, when you could just calmly ask them not to do it again? If they keep doing it, then, sure, they get fired, which is fair enough. Don't you think firing someone for the example I gave above is somewhat over the top? Disproportionate, no? Do you think that Loose Women should be taken off the air for promoting outdated and offensive male stereotypes? No? Funny that. Neither do I, but it goes both ways. What you said is nuts and you don't even appear to realise it, and you're coming across like a wannabe crazed dictator. You're advocating calculated attempts to get people fired in response to unfunny off-the-cuff remarks. Do you not see the slightest thing wrong with your saying? Can you honestly not see why that is unreasonable? Do you really want to live in a world where no-one says anything that might offend anyone? If not, where is the line drawn? Should women not be allowed to joke that all men are childish? Should Liverpool and Man Utd fans not be allowed to make fun of each other? Should I not be allowed to make fun of people who listen to Black Eyed Peas, in case they get offended? Seriously, where does it stop?

Nige: On the other hand, now that people can get fired for it, don't you think a lot of people will be saying "well, Andy Gray got fired for it". How about a middle approach where Andy Gray is simply made to look like the idiot he is, and forced to eat humble pie by apologising over and over on national TV. That would have been more fitting, don't you agree? It could have been pretty funny too, I reckon.

Smithy: Spot on. I couldn't live in a world without banter. Imagine a world without it. Pretty dull. Imagine a world without British comedy, doesn't even bear thinking about. All we'd have left comedy-wise would be safe 'comedians' like Joe Pasquale and Victoria Wood, and no-one wants that, surely?

"If you really want a world where people cannot have a bit of a laugh and a joke because they are worried that someone somewhere may take offence then I certainly don't want to be in it with you."

Exactly, it would be boring, and everyone would be paranoid as hell. I'm wondering how in hell these laws would be enforced, anyway. Many, many guns, I suspect.

Deadman: Well, just for the hell of it, I'm going to call you out on that, as Andy Gray most definitely did apologise, more than once, and was even told by Sky Sports not to apologise, and was then fired before he could make an on-air apology before the Chelsea game, which he was planning to do. So there you go. And men's football is technically a men's sport, but, what the hell, I'll give you that one, he was obviously out of order.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Should I not be allowed to make fun of people who listen to Black Eyed Peas, in case they get offended? Seriously, where does it stop?
      You dissin Fergi?

She's a babe, or am I not allowed to admit that?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve666 View Post
      ...Put simply, how is getting someone fired for something so trivial, potentially ruining their life and the lives of their family, morally justifiable, when you could just calmly ask them not to do it again?
      Sorry, you just do not get it and I suspect you never will.

BULLYING IS NOT TRIVIAL. IT KILLS.

Whether it be racism, homophobia, transphobia, sexism, ageism or any other phobia or ism you care to mention, it is WRONG.

It is wrong in the eyes of the law. Whether it is at work or in public, it is wrong.

Last year there were several high-profile cases. Here are just a couple:

Mother who killed disabled daughter and herself in car fire 'suffered years of abuse from gang'

Murder hunt after disabled man killed

Gray done this in the work place. He done it in a television studio with lots of cameras & microphones about. He done it in an environment where it was recorded and able to be legally shown to his bosses (check your law before arguing against this, I have).

As mentioned in my earlier post on this thread: This is a wake-up call.

A line has been drawn and BSkyB had to make it clear that this behaviour is not to be tolerated by any member of staff.

The following statement is based on known experiences of a lot of people whom I know. I am sorry if it offends anyone, but it is based on fact:

The highest offending group for these issues are Male, 13-27 years old, below average education and living in social housing.

This is not to say that a 65 year old woman is not going to be racist. It is known to the police that this is the group that has the worse record.

P.S. My Fire blanket is beside me

P.P.S. I am waiting for the day when Alex Ferguson is dismissed for similar offences

Footnote: 'Below average education' should not be confused with 'below average intelligence'

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Please explain to me why you consider this is case of bullying???? he never even met the lineswomen.

To even think this is anywhere along the lines of the two examples you have linked too is just a clear example of the way some people jump on bandwagons and blow things out of proportion, this is nothing like either of those tragic cases and to suggest it is is an insult to the people that it has affected and also my intelligence so I take offence and you should be sacked

This was clearly a case of someone having a laugh and joke with their mate in an ungarded situation )stupid to do in a recording studio I know), had it not been for the fact that the microphone was on nobody else would even have known, in fact, you could go as far to say that the damage here has been caused more by the reporting of his comments by third parties than by him, what an invasion of his privacy!!!

I bet that if evey comment you made whilst you were out with your mates was recorded, someone somewhere could throw an angle off bullying/racial or discrimination etc, etc, even if it was just a throw away comment about poor service etc.

Exchange:
      Thanks

"Mother who killed disabled daughter and herself in car fire 'suffered years of abuse from gang'

Murder hunt after disabled man killed"

What the . . . ? What the hell are you talking about?

I take it back, Steph, I have seen true crazy now!

"The following statement is based on known experiences of a lot of people whom I know. I am sorry if it offends anyone, but it is based on fact."

This statement doesn't even make sense. "Based on known experiences of a lot of people whom I know" = "Based on fact" - Yeah, I guess that is kind of offensive, in a funny sort of way.

Please, try to grow up a little bit.

Exchange:
      Thanks

"You dissin Fergi? She's a babe, or am I not allowed to admit that?"

She's not quite as weird looking as the other three, especially the guy with big melted face. You're allowed to admit that, in my book, just don't admit to listening to them. I only listen to them for research purposes. That doesn't count. Pete Townshend would agree with me.

Exchange:
      Thanks

^^^ offensive joke.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Alex Ferguson a babe?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Mmmm, its Friday, could this thread be moved to general chat for the night

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Mmmm, its Friday, could this thread be moved to general chat for the night

I think it is probably best to lock this thread this evening.

Was the guy wrong to do what he did? Yes probably, but I too don't think it was a sackable offence. It was clearly not meant to be heard or published, and he wasn't exactly inciting hatred etc, it was just a view point. And one that every person who is male that I know, probably shares.

However, let's not get personal against others who may have a different view point to others etc
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast