Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sky new prices from September 1st

This is a discussion on Sky new prices from September 1st within the Sky Sports forums, part of the Sky TV Channels category; Originally Posted by Alan b I get the mag so my letter will come with that as per usual but ...

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Sky new prices from September 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      I get the mag so my letter will come with that as per usual but to get a letter on possibly the 31 August to tell you the price is going up the next day is a bit off. Why can't these letters and emails go out at the same time ?
      They do. They go out with the last bill at the old price. Thereby giving one months notice of the rise so many people have had their letters already. Every day from the 2nd July onwards people should have been getting their notifications.

In reality to allow for postage they are sent in the last few days of June. Usually.

2. Advertisement
      newphoneeditor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Can I ask if the details posted about removing the HD sub if you take Sky World and ESPN is a suggestion the poster is making or an actual plan that Sky have?

I can see why it might make sense but I note from another thread on here someone has e mailed Sky and asked about it and Sky have insisted that this rumour is untrue.

I guess we will soon find out and they might have to deny it prior to any public announcement.

However. it will make a big difference to my thinking come September. The large Sky World price rise, if not eased in some way, will see me reassess what I pay to Sky each month.

I suspect I will not be the only one....especially if the rise does not include the coming VAT hike and prices go up again at Christmas.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Everything you see posted is pure rumour until Sky make an official press release.

Some people may post what they know through sources that they have, but these are still just rumours as Sky Management Team could change their mind and pull any plans that they may have been working on.

Unfortunately, we just have to be patient until there is an official Sky announcement of any changes.

Also, just because Sky may have denied any changes in a recent email does not mean that there aren't any changes. Lots of projects and plans will be subject to Non Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) and as such, even if you know about changes, you are contractually obliged by your employer to deny them.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you for the sensible reply.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Every day from the 2nd July onwards people should have been getting their notifications.

In reality to allow for postage they are sent in the last few days of June. Usually.
      So they are not being sent out with the Sky Mag at the end of the month then ?

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Some people may post what they know through sources that they have, but these are still just rumours as Sky Management Team could change their mind and pull any plans that they may have been working on.
      I think part of the issue is that they have been waiting to see what Virgin Media do and it appears as if they are selling the premium HD channels at 7 per box:

Virgin Media High Definition & TiVo Services: Square Eyes says...

Exchange:
      Thanks

I agree that it makes sense Sky were waiting to see how VM handled the Sky premium channels.

Seems that sports and movies are 7 pm but all the other Sky channels (eg Sky 1 HD) are free if you take the top tier.

If Sky did do what the OP in this thread suggests it would match that and in some respects beat it (especially the effective adding of ESPN free so that this equates with what VM do).

On the other hand VM can only now claim free HD for non movies and sports, so Sky might not now need to offer anything for free to have the advertising edge.

Though Sky have reduced the value of their HD mix by tieing it to your SD mixes whereas VM seem to be offering a lot of free HD channels still with their top tier - just not movies and sports.

Wonder if Sky will now do anything new at all?

Would be nice if they at least did something about the HD charge being per box as 20 on top of Sky World and multiroom is rather unreasonable.

The difference between all HD channels on Virgin (14) and all of them on Sky (20 on top of multiroom) is looking more than trivial.
      Last edited by newphoneeditor; 14-07-10 at 05:01 PM.

bulldog147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cuckoo Oak
      Sky TV: 1 x Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I had the new sky prices in my hand. One pack with sports pack is increasing from 36 to 40 in 1st September as 1 pack is 19 plus sky sports pack 21 (increasing of 3)

Skyworld with Espn HD pack and multiroom is now 83 from 77.50 in 1st september

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog147 View Post
      I had the new sky prices in my hand. One pack with sports pack is increasing from 36 to 40 in 1st September as 1 pack is 19 plus sky sports pack 21 (increasing of 3)

Skyworld with Espn HD pack and multiroom is now 83 from 77.50 in 1st september
      You currently pay 77. 50 for Sky World, ESPN, HD pack and multiroom. As you say.

If it is rising to 83 then that is a pretty frightening increase = 5.50 pm (with VAT rises to come no doubt). Well above inflation.

If Sports are rising by 3 then where is the extra 2.50 pm in the rise coming from?

I assume with multiroom on both boxes then it will rise to 93 from 87.50?

There do not seem to be any discounts at all in the above (such as the suggested free ESPN with Sky World and HD) just big rises?

Or - hopefully - I am missing something as those new prices would be rather disastrous compared with what Virgin are offering.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sky's own site seems to say that the Sky World price is 51 (up 2.50 only) from September - so I do not understand the prices quoted by bulldog above.

Adding ESPN (9), HD (10) and multiroom (10) equals a total of 80 pm and not 83 pm, doesn't it?

What am I missing?

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newphoneeditor View Post
      What am I missing?
      Nothing, Bulldog's prices are not confirmed, so we will have to wait and see what the letters tell us when they come out.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast