Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sky Protection Warranty Scam

This is a discussion on Sky Protection Warranty Scam within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Are you connected with them in any way ??? Strange first post, as thread is 2.5 years old....

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Protection Warranty Scam

Are you connected with them in any way ???

Strange first post, as thread is 2.5 years old.
      Last edited by fluke; 07-02-13 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Spelling typo.

==========
      Regards
      Dave

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I recently received a call from someone flogging Sky Protect. It wasn't Sky. So I said 'go away'. The guy immediately called back and left an obscene message on my answering machine and said he'd like to do me a personal injury. Never ever take this type of cover because a lot of it sold by cold calling is fraudulent. And never ever give anyone your details over the phone.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      I recently received a call from someone flogging Sky Protect. It wasn't Sky. So I said 'go away'. The guy immediately called back and left an obscene message on my answering machine and said he'd like to do me a personal injury. Never ever take this type of cover because a lot of it sold by cold calling is fraudulent. And never ever give anyone your details over the phone.
      Leaving such a message on an ansa-phone isn't fraudulent, but it is a criminal act. If the number wasn't withheld, then the individual could be successfully prosecuted.

The general advice on this forum has been that the Sky STBs are quite reliable and as such it works out better to pay Sky the call-out fee of 65. It generally works out cheaper and Sky normally include parts as well. I haven't read about anyone being charged for a new dish or LNB from a Sky Engineer, only and independent engineer. Their 3 month warranty covers any work carried out too.

To top it off, in Sky's most recent half year results, they specifically mentioned how reliable the current crop of kit has been.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The only thing I see in Sky Protect's favour is that it covers all Sky equipment, including STBs, routers, wireless senders etc. If you have old boxes and router, 4 or 5 years, it might be worth considering. Personally I never have.

Have to agree, its a strange first post.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

rafregt08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No ive got no connection with them, if you want to know im current serving in the armed forces. The reason for the post is because i too had a phone call from them about a week ago, but i got a couple of plans with D+G anyway so i know they are legit. After speaking to the lad on the phone i checked out the website and everything i was told checked out, so decided to check out the forum to see what everone had to say and it seems like the general concensus is that it is a scam, which it isnt. So it was just me putting my opinion across, apologies if it sounded a bit much, and i can see why you would think that. Funnily though i did use to work in a call centre for a well known telecoms company, and i understand how stressfull it is for the agents who work for Legitimate companies having to speak to 300 people a day who just contantly tell you to go and do one, trust me its not nice. Unless its phones calls about ppi then crack on because i cant stand them. That is all

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

LinkBacks (?)