Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky Protection Warranty Scam

This is a discussion on Sky Protection Warranty Scam within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Yes true but what if you need another visit even 2 or 3 then the £65.00 engineer visits can add ...

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Re: Sky Protection Warranty Scam

Yes true but what if you need another visit even 2 or 3 then the £65.00 engineer visits can add up.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_nick View Post
      What instance would that be ? If my equipment is out of warranty, Sky will charge me £60 to send out an engineer to put it right, which may involve a replacement box. Now that's an absolute bargain !

Now why should I pay £69 to £99 a year ?
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Another lot phoned us up this week, it had a phone number of 01111111111 on the caller display, once again they were rude as hell and said that if we didn't take this out if the Sky box broke we would have to buy a new one.

I asked for the data officer (they didn't have one) and I got a supervisor and when I said I wanted their name to report them to the TPS they hung up pretty fast.

Haven't had a reply since.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

BLOODUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Herne Bay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Everything
      Thanks

Asian? , Indian?

Reason i'm asking is we used to get alot from those *bleep* annoying buggers

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Insider View Post
      Yes true but what if you need another visit even 2 or 3 then the £65.00 engineer visits can add up.
      Well, I've had SkyTV for nearly 20 years now, almost since the start - I've never paid insurance on the box, and I'm well in pocket, thanks

notascam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01929
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hi guys
      i know how you all think its a scam...but it isn't, i work for a maintenance company (not saying which one) and infact its not a scam if they are saying it correct like we are
      we clearly say its a maintenance plan and were asking you if you have a maintenance plan if you do then we can save you money if not then we say good bye

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

We had a call this evening at 5.30 from an 0800 121 8143 and a quick Goooogle shows very clearly that this is a scam. Now I didn't get to the phone quick enough to answer it (but I will if there is a next time) so I didn't get to hear what they said but they did the old you have sky and multiroom (which I do) but they still didn't get anywhere with us.

Hay
      Hay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Oh wow......
      I got a phone call on the 29.09.08 from Sky Protect saying that they offer the same service (in terms of breakdown cover etc) as Sky but cheaper, being an idiot I took them up on this offer and all was well.
      Until I moved house at the beginning of November last year that is....
      I found the letter I had received from them, it had two telephone numbers and an email address on it. One number for reporting faults and a contact number. My plan was simply to let them know I'd changed my address. I tried both numbers.....they were both dead. So I tried the email address....only to have it returned as an error in sending thingy.
      So I came to the conclusion that the company was a scam and went to my bank to cancel the direct debit.....
      November: I go into my bank and cancel the direct debt.
      December: They take the money out of my account again, I go into the bank and the cashier tells me it's probably just taken a while to be processed and that it should not happen again next month.
      January: They take the money again, this time the cashier informs me that it wasn't a direct debit but a standing order and suggests that I order a new bank card (because it's got a different card number) and (i quote) 'hopefully' this will prevent them taking the money again. So I cancel my card and order a new one - which is an inconvenience.
      February: Guess what....They take the money from my account again!?! So I go in to the bank and get put on the phone to the banks transaction people who tell me that they are going to get in touch with the bankers of 'Sky Protect' and make a request that they stop taking money from my account. This takes 30 days.
      March: The money goes from my account and I do nothing - thinking it's the 30 day thing.
      April: Yes, you guessed correctly.....they take the money from my account again. I go back into my bank and go through Februarysí step again.
      May: 30 day thing again - they take money from my account again.
      June: By this point I am really not very happy. I go into my bank and the cashier assures me that she has cancelled the direct debit (??? I had told her the full story first)....they definitely will not be taking money from my account again.
      July: I was on holiday and didn't get round to doing anything about it this month....but they still took the money!
      August: I have phoned my bank and asked to speak to someone about making a complaint otherwise, I said, I will be going to my local police station. This got their attention. My bank have now filled an indemnity claim against the company and I 'should' be getting a refund for my payments made since November last year (when I moved house and therefore since when the cover would be classed as invalid from) and they have assured me (once again) that they have cancelled the direct debit (? I don't even know any more).
      And so, as it stands; if another payment to this blooming company goes out of my bank account next month I am actually going to change my bank. No doubt that will cause A LOT of **** ups to be made (I work for the NHS, so it will probably be November next year before they put my wages in the correct account!) and will cause me a lot more stress. But I haven't got a clue what else I can do????
      So please, if any body gets a call from these muppets; tell them where to go!
      If any one else has had a similar problem (although I'm probably the only one stupid enough to fall for it) I would love to here how you resolved the problem?
      Thank you X

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

From what you say, your bank appears to be at fault by failing to cancel either the Direct Debit or the Standing Order ( see banking - standing orders and direct debits for the difference.)

If a Direct Debit, you are protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee. ( See issue 27 - banking - direct debit guarantee). If a Standing Order, you are responsible for cancelling it at the bank. Either way, you should do this in writing and deliver the letter in person to the bank and obtain a receipt. This is your proof that instructions to cancel have been received by the bank.

Your bank statement states clearly whether the transaction is a Direct Debit ( D/D ) or a Standing Order ( S/O ) and I don't understand how the confusion has occurred in the first place. These monthly deductions are invariably Direct Debits, are shown as such on your account on the teller's screen at the bank, and should have been cancelled by the teller at the first time of asking.

You should complain immediately to the Financial Services Ombudsman. See how to complain ? the first steps. Also, inform your bank that a formal complaint is underway.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hay View Post
      January: They take the money again, this time the cashier informs me that it wasn't a direct debit but a standing order and suggests that I order a new bank card (because it's got a different card number) and (i quote) 'hopefully' this will prevent them taking the money again. So I cancel my card and order a new one - which is an inconvenience.
      You should complain to your bank for giving you bad advice.

If you gave the warranty company your debit card details then it's neither a direct debit or standing order, it's a Recurring Payment authority. The first 2 the banks can stop, but they can't do anything about recurring payments as you have given the company permission to take money off your card and only they can stop it. Changing the debit card number is good advice, but even if the card is cancelled, the authority isn't and the bank have to honour any requests.

Your bank should have told you this instead of faffing around trying to cancel payments.

As for getting your money back, if it's a Visa card - debit or credit - you can ask for a chargeback to be applied because you're paying for a service that you are not receiving. They will then have to go to the company for them to justify taking the payments.

Moral: Never give people card details for recurring payments; always use direct debits or standing orders.

rafregt08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Firstly it isnt a scam, check the official sky website www.sky.com/protect, ive also found the information on my sky active feature as well. You will all find that Sky Protect is provided by Domestic and General, who also cover white goods such as fridges and boilers and anyone who has taken a plan out for their TV is probably covered by them anyway without actually knowing it because most highstreet chains who provide extended warranties use D+G. Secondly anyone who thinks that Sky offer a cover directly from themselves, dont kid yourself they dont. Yes they provide you with the equipment and it is under a manufactuors garuntee for a year (The UK opted out of a 2 year manufactuors warranty for brown electrical good for everyones information) but after that year the equipment is then outside of cover and because the equipment then belongs to you, there is the possibility of call out charges, which is fair enough, its like paying your tv liscence if your TV went bang unless covered you wouldnt expect the BBC to come out and repair it for you!! So all off those gobbing off about these guys and girls calling you about the cover, dont give them grief but listen to what they are saying becsue it may very well save you a lot of money considering a callout charge is £65 each time your visited by an engineer. And lastly and please remember this because it will save you from getting scammed from third party companies in the future, if there not calling from sky or domestic and general then THEY ARE NOT SKY OR AFFILIATED WITH SKY IN ANY WAY!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)