Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Neighbour wants to use our dish

This is a discussion on Neighbour wants to use our dish within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, A neighbour lives in communal flats quite near us and Sky won't install a dish for him as a ...

mailliw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WRPGRN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus RT-N66U w/Tomato 1.28
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Neighbour wants to use our dish

Hi,

A neighbour lives in communal flats quite near us and Sky won't install a dish for him as a tree is in the way. He can see our dish and Sky themselves have said they can run cables from ours to his box (which is a long way, but that's their issue). I'm ok with it, but:

1) Is this an electrical hazard? Seem to remember in the old days, you need to ground the cable somehow - if his box spiked, it could spike our box too when connected to the same dish.

2) I feel like I'm doing Sky and everyone a favour but getting nothing in return. I also can't discuss this with them as they'll only talk to the neighbour, which seems a bit ridiculous. If they're going to come onto our property to fit a new dish, and presumably a large LNB, how can I persuade them politely to install Sky Q for us as a thank you?!

Thoughts welcome

Will

2. Advertisement
      pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01267
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Router: Whatever Plusnet supply
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Re: Neighbour wants to use our dish

Thoughts are that I can see this openeing up all sorts of cans of worms for you. I also think that if Sky wont talk to you but want to use your dish I would be telling them to take a very long walk of the shortest pier they can find. I'm afraid that I wouldn't do it even for Sky Q or all the tea in China.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Neighbour wants to use our dish

If the other property is fed from a different phase of the mains electricity supply there is the possibility that dangerous voltages could be present at either or both boxes under fault conditions.

This could be mitigated by having the dish properly earthed by a qualified electrician. Although there may be Sky Installers who are also qualified electricians I don't believe that such a qualification is mandatory.