Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hidden Sky box - magic eye

This is a discussion on Hidden Sky box - magic eye within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all - this is my first time posting here. I have a problem which hopefully somebody may know the ...

byas121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hidden Sky box - magic eye

Hi all - this is my first time posting here. I have a problem which hopefully somebody may know the answer too ( fingers crossed )

We have a sky HD box in our living room, have run an aerial cable into the main bedroom and hooked up the magic eye so we can watch the sky TV in there and change the channel.

We are now in the process of redoing our living room and putting the TV on the wall. For this to happen we are hoping to hide the sky box behind our radiator cabinet, when we do this obliviously we are going to need to control the box some how.

So my question is can i use the magic eye on the tv upstairs, but also an additional one at the box location downstairs? That way we will be able to place the magic eye on top of the cabinet to control the box.

Or, is there any other suggestions on how to control the box when it will be hidden in the living room?

Thanks in advance all!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,247 Times in 2,108 Posts

Re: Hidden Sky box - magic eye

Yes you should be able to control the STB from both locations. Obviously you'll need a second Magic-eye.

There is one major issue with your plan though...

The STB needs to be able to cool itself. Placing it behind the "radiator cabinet" may reduce the circulation of air and increase it's average temperature.

Personally I would consider fitting a shelf under the TV and place the STB on that. This could introduce a new issue with some TVs, so prior planning is still required. The backing lights on the TV may shine onto the IR sensor on the STB. If this happens you can interfere with the remote control's ability to control it.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Yes you should be able to control the STB from both locations. Obviously you'll need a second Magic-eye.

There is one major issue with your plan though...

The STB needs to be able to cool itself. Placing it behind the "radiator cabinet" may reduce the circulation of air and increase it's average temperature.

Personally I would consider fitting a shelf under the TV and place the STB on that. This could introduce a new issue with some TVs, so prior planning is still required. The backing lights on the TV may shine onto the IR sensor on the STB. If this happens you can interfere with the remote control's ability to control it.

Thanks for your reply! the radiator cabinet is much larger than the radiator so i think there will be sufficient space and air in there, the radiator probably takes up less than half of the space in the cabinet. if thats make sense. I agree the shelf would be the easier option but we really just wanted the tv on the wall on its own.

Thanks again!

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by byas121 View Post
      Thanks for your reply! the radiator cabinet is much larger than the radiator so i think there will be sufficient space and air in there, the radiator probably takes up less than half of the space in the cabinet. if thats make sense. I agree the shelf would be the easier option but we really just wanted the tv on the wall on its own.

Thanks again!
      You could use the Sky+ app on a smart phone without having to buy another "magic eye". It will control the box through wifi, just a thought since you don't need the other functions of the "magic eye".

Also how old is the box?
      Are you using an IO-link?
      If so then you may have some issues with 2 "magic eyes".
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Exchange:
      Thanks

The app is a good idea - i never considered that.

The box is from around 2015 so its not that old, it has the built in wifi.

We are using the IO-Link yes, I tried last night with the two magic eyes, the one in the living room worked but it seems to interfere with the bedroom one.