Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky magic eye, ariel sockets on tv broken

This is a discussion on Sky magic eye, ariel sockets on tv broken within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi guys, I wonder if anyone here could possibly give me some advice please. I have a magic eye and ...

Alan Yeo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01959
      Broadband ISP: Plus Net Unlimited Fibre with fixed IP
      Router: Draytek Vigor 2860n-Plus
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky magic eye, ariel sockets on tv broken

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone here could possibly give me some advice please.

I have a magic eye and cable connected to the RF out on my sky hd box using the IO box (new HD box), going to a second tv in my bedroom. Everything was working fine until the weight of the magic eye broke the Ariel / RF IN port on my second tv. It became loose and a bit wobbly at first, then the picture started getting fuzzy and I had to wiggle it to get it going, but now it has completely gone. I replaced the cable, magic eye and IO port so I know it has to be the port on the tv, and the fact that itís hanging off also verifies that itís the port on the tv.

So my question is really is there any way around this without buying a new tv?
      I was thinking perhaps some sort of RF to Scart adapter or RF to HDMI converter box, or maybe a wireless solution if they are available?
      Any advice would be very much appreciated.
      Kind regards,
      Alan

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Re: Sky magic eye, ariel sockets on tv broken

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Yeo View Post
      Hi guys,

I have a magic eye and cable connected to the RF out on my sky hd box using the IO box (new HD box), going to a second tv in my bedroom. Everything was working fine until the weight of the magic eye broke the Ariel / RF IN port on my second tv. It became loose and a bit wobbly at first, then the picture started getting fuzzy and I had to wiggle it to get it going, but now it has completely gone. I replaced the cable, magic eye and IO port so I know it has to be the port on the tv, and the fact that it’s hanging off also verifies that it’s the port on the tv.

I was thinking perhaps some sort of RF to Scart adapter or RF to HDMI converter box, or maybe a wireless solution if they are available?
      Kind regards,
      Alan
      The tuner is not the hardest thing to fix.
      Why not call up a tv repair man locally. Its a quick job and they will be able to do it in your home.
      Or if you fancy repairing it yourself.
      Not sure what tv you have, but this will be the same really for most TVs.
      Certainly an easy solder job and yours is broken anyway, you will only improve it.

Just love this second one, very neat idea

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Yeo View Post
      Hi guys,

I have a magic eye and cable connected to the RF out on my sky hd box using the IO box (new HD box), going to a second tv in my bedroom. Everything was working fine until the weight of the magic eye broke the Ariel / RF IN port on my second tv. It became loose and a bit wobbly at first, then the picture started getting fuzzy and I had to wiggle it to get it going, but now it has completely gone. I replaced the cable, magic eye and IO port so I know it has to be the port on the tv, and the fact that it’s hanging off also verifies that it’s the port on the tv.

Kind regards,
      Alan
      I take it the TV has HDMI?

You should see what the TV repair might cost but on a modern tv it's likely to be a new TV.

So you choices are going to be SCART based TV Sender but these usually have distance limitations if using 5.8Ghz WIFI AND/OR will ruin your BB WIFI if using 2.4Ghz.

3rd choice could be to just to use your free Sky Go devices in the second room.

4Th option is you used to be able to use Sky Go on an Android box connected to a TV so if this still works then you could get one of these for ~£30 but if you already have a PC or laptop with HDMI output then this is easy.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Alan Yeo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01959
      Broadband ISP: Plus Net Unlimited Fibre with fixed IP
      Router: Draytek Vigor 2860n-Plus
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated.

I have a soldering iron kit indoors, it's been few year since I've done any soldering though.

I will give it a try at the weekend and see how I get on. I did replace some capacitors on a PSU from a LCD monitor that had blown a while back, it was fiddly as hell, but it worked, so hopefully its no more difficult than that.

Will report back how I get on.

Again, thanks for your help guys,

Alan