Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

communal dish limitations?

This is a discussion on communal dish limitations? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, on google I found some old threads where people mention that installations with a communal dish have some limitations. ...

Sonny_1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

communal dish limitations?

Hi,

on google I found some old threads where people mention that installations with a communal dish have some limitations.
      This still applies nowadays? Apart from watching one channel and be able to record another one, would have some other limitations?

If the flat has a communal dish, are we legally to install our own dish, if can't use all the service features?

thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: communal dish limitations?

Hi Sonny and welcome to the forum.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonny_1980 View Post
      on google I found some old threads where people mention that installations with a communal dish have some limitations.
      This still applies nowadays?
      It depends on when the dish was installed.
      With later installations there should be a faceplate in your apartment with two type F connectors (with protruding threads) usually marked "SAT 1" and "SAT 2". Providing that there is a signal on both of these you shouldn't require Single Feed Mode.
      Apart from watching one channel and be able to record another one, would have some other limitations?
      With On Demand selected programmes will not be downloaded in advance to your Sky box but provided the box has a reasonable internet connection you may not even notice this.
      If the flat has a communal dish, are we legally to install our own dish, if can't use all the service features?
      It depends on rules set by your local council and landlord/managing agent. It would be best to check with your landlord before contacting an installer.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Sonny_1980 (08-11-15)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply and the welcome!

There is no faceplate but I did find 2 cables that seem to be satellite cables, even tho they are a little bit thinner than the satellite cable I had in my previous flat and the connectors are missing...

So, despite the communal dish, having 2 cables, everything should be fine?
      communal dish limitations?-verjsy.jpg

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny_1980 View Post
      So, despite the communal dish, having 2 cables, everything should be fine?
      Provided both cables are active you should be fine.
      Are both cable tails connected together by a web of insulation to form a single (shotgun) cable with a figure of eight cross section? If not then there is a possibility that only one one lead is connected to the dish. The second could be for a terrestrial TV aerial or even to distribute satellite TV to a television in another room. The plugs would also have been different but as they are missing it doesn't help.

The plugs currently being fitted by Sky TV installers require a special crimping tool but it is still possible to purchase twist on plugs but these are supplied in five different barrel sizes to match the diameter of the cables. They are not expensive so if you cannot identify the exact size you require it may be best to buy two or three different sizes rather than having to return them for a different size.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Sonny_1980 (08-11-15)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes, both cables connected together.
      For the terrestrial there is another cable.

Not so worried about the plugs. A Sky engineer will visit in a few days anyway. I was just worried about not being able to see one channel and record a different one or having any other limitation as I wasn't aware of this possibility on communal dish installations.
      Thanks!