Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

two magic eyes wont work at same time.

This is a discussion on two magic eyes wont work at same time. within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; hi all, i have a sky + hd box, with i/o converter plugged into a rf cable (approx 15 metres) ...

helluvatractor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

two magic eyes wont work at same time.

hi all, i have a sky + hd box, with i/o converter plugged into a rf cable (approx 15 metres) running upstairs. with a magic eye connected it works fine.
      i have used a splitter upstairs to run a second rf cable (approx 6 metres).into daughters room. and the following things have happened;

1) with both tv's plugged in, we both get a picture,red lights on both magic eyes, but cannot change channels on either
      2) if i connect either tv in seperately, its fine, either magic eye will change channels

.so , to change channels i have to have only one tv connected, meaning the other has no picture. at the moment, the only option is to have a splitter switch, which we switch when one of us wants to watch sky.;fine, unless we both want to watch it at the same time

.am i right in thinking, the extra cable means not enough power is getting to both magic eyes in order for them to change channels?
      is there anything i can do? many thanks

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: two magic eyes wont work at same time.

Hi helluvatractor and welcome to the forum.

I am not sure how much power the i/o converter can supply though I know that the RF2 output on earlier Sky+ HD boxes was capable of driving two magic eyes.

Is the splitter you are using one that you know is suitable for use with magic eyes?

If you disconnect the aerial input and magic eye from one TV so that the cable to the splitter hangs free, leaving the splitter and input and output cables in place, can the Sky box be controlled from the other TV?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The IO Link is only capable of powering 1 magic eye properly, for adding more than one you need an amplifier.
      Triax Sky iO Link PSU For Link Amps & Magic Eyes

You may find it cheaper elsewhere.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

helluvatractor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi searight, no, with both output cables connected to splitter and the lead disconnected to one tv I can't change channels. I have to remove one of the cables from the splitter itself for the other to function.

Isitme ... I can see that an amplifier would work, but would I be right in thinking, that I would need to run two leads up the stairs ? I was hoping that I could split the one lead at the landing on top the stairs into two, with each one going into 2 separate bedrooms. Its going to be tricky running a second lead to be honest (the original one runs under floor boards which can't easily be removed now ). I understand the signal needs to be amplified at source, eg directly from the io adapter downstairs. Is there such a gizmo/ splitter, that can take the voltage from the original lead and double it ? I do have a mains socket on the landing which could be used ??

Thanks guys

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Haven't used one myself but Global F120 plus separate GLO76A power supply both shown here:

http://satcure.co.uk/accs/page15.htm#amp

would appear to be suitable.

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Helluvatractor - as far as i know the amplifier can go anywhere. I have a coax cable going from my Sky HD box's RF2 to the amp and then multiple coaxs going from the amp to different TVs. I believe the cable from Sky to the amp can be as long as you like.