Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Blue Screen on Box Office and PPN/V

This is a discussion on Sky Blue Screen on Box Office and PPN/V within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; hi, i was on this forum a few weeks back regarding a pin issue i was having, i now have ...

Neo63 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Blue Screen on Box Office and PPN/V

hi, i was on this forum a few weeks back regarding a pin issue i was having, i now have that fixed but im also having a new problem.

everytime i order a film from the box office, or a PPN/PPV channel i get charged for it but i cannot view anything, all i get is a blue screen all the time.

my box is connected to the internet, my bill is upto date.

i get the same problem on the adult channels i get asked for a pin, i enter it, it accpets it but i still get a blue screen. not only that but iv discovered some channels are vanishing from my EPG, i use to get 1428 channels (21 of which where radio) now my EPG just shows 1002 channels.

music channels are vanishing, adult channels are vanishing, movie channels, factual and documentory channels are vanishing???

iv had sky engineer out to check my box and dish few weeks ago and according to him they were working perfectly.

the fact im getting blue screens all the time and channels vanishing into thin air, is it possible i have a faulty box?? sky said i can do a channel search to add more but didnt give me the steps to enter to do this, further more, after viewing the menu to do this it asks for symbole rates, frequency etc?? how in gods name do they expect us to know all this i dont want to muck the box up anymore than it is already.

my on demand works fine so i know the box is getting a signal for the net.

iv also noticed the more films i record on the HDD, this seems to slow the box down?? it acts weird, last week i had 20 odd films taking up just 73% of the drive, the box would suddently cut the tv picture on any channel and a message saying "there is a technical issue with this channel please try again later" would pop up. after i deleted three thirds of the films it was ok, this week iv been recording more this time only 64% is used and its started back up again with that message - just once this time though today.

i got this box second hand and chucked my original sky hd box out as my old one was not HDMI and had no HDD.

can anyone shed some light on this, sky say its working fine, iv already paid 50 for the call out charge im not paying again. the box maybe sending the right info back "home" but this behaviour cant be normal surely??

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Blue Screen on Box Office and PPN/V

You could try emptying the Deleted programs folder. Left arrow with the Planner menu bar at All. Press Yellow button continuously to delete everything. When you have done that, do a Planner rebuild. Services button>001>Select, then 7 to get to the item then Select again to start the process.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Nsewell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Firstly is your boxes software up to date, go to SETTINGS > SYSTEM DETAILS the "model number" should start with R010.

Try a "new installation" press SERVICES 001 SELECT quickly on your remote. Select the new installation option and follow the instructions. Your box will need to be connected to the Internet or telephone line for this.

Try a planner rebuild, this should be within the same hidden menu as the new installation option and be called "Sky+ Rebuild"

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi guys, thanks for your replies.

firstly, isitme, i have already deleted all the films i dont want, including all the ones that still get stored in the "deleted" tab, but i have films i want to keep so i can transfer them to disc, but finding a dvd recorder is like trying to find a man with a wooden leg named smith lol

and nsewell, as far as i understand it, doing a planner rebuild will erase the films i want to keep, i know about this step but im trying to avoid that till i can copy the films over. the boxes software is update too yes, it was automatically updated about 2 weeks ago.

the new installation part iv seen and been tempted to select, but iv also been told only qualifed engineers can use this section as theres details that need entered only they know?? - im willing to be corrected of course, but this was what i read on the actual sky community forum.

do you guys think this is whats causing the blue screen on all my box office and PPN etc purchases??

are there any specific details i need for adding more channels? as in where would i get the info i get asked for on screen such as symbole rates etc do sky have a page where this info is listed?

if im not back on before xmas guys i hope you have a good one. thanks

Nsewell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

A planner rebuild won't delete any of your recordings, it's a system reset which does that.

A system reset would be the last resort, but is a troubleshooting step for blue screen issues.

Anyone can do a "New Installation", there's nothing special you need to enter.

The "Add Channels" option is only to add channels not part of the Sky platform. What channels are you looking to add?

Exchange:
      Thanks

i dont know off hand which channels have vanished, but theres a few. and considering i was paying full sub before they vanished i want them back. but from view alot of movie channels have gone, adult, music, and sports channels too.

one last question, do i need to be connected to the net to do the planner rebuild or new installation? only asking as our net is rubbish, normally drops when downloading large files. last thing i want is the box crashing because it cant complete the download or something.

Thanks

It would not matter what sub you are paying all the channels should be listed on the EPG. If they are not showing, then something is wrong. Entering channels manually does not solve anything as they will still not appear on the EPG.

A planner rebuild does not require an internet or phone connection and should be your first move. It could be a system reset will be your only solution. As this will wipe all your recordings you should archive these before carrying it out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

i did the planner rebuild, im begining to think its a HDD failure. when i started the rebuild a message appeared on screen saying "unable to complete please try again later" this happened after about 4 minutes and happened twice on trying. i switched the box off and left it off while i was at work, came home switched it on, as it takes a while to boot up i left it boot up while i went for a chicken curry from the local chinese.
      when i got back i tried again with the rebuild, this time it completed, the disc read as only being 58% used up before, afterwords it said i gained 2% as i now have 56% used. so was in a sense pointless. but iv tried playing some films i recorded, sometimes they play fine, other times the film just crashes like someone presses pause, the picture just freezes and you cant fast forward, you can rewind but it does the same again once it reaches the same point. so either the HDD is faulty or there is an issue with the HDD buffer. silly thing is these films played fine before i did the rebuild.

anyway ill just call sky and get a new box if i have to, just say this one is faulty.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sulih View Post
      a very interesting post. new Member permission to join in this discussion.
      You can if you like. But i wont be needing it anymore. I smashed my sky box up with my sledge hammer. There not very well built. One hit and it was in bits lol. I went out and bought a standard freesat recorder instead. Works a treat. But feel free By all means

Thanks

I doubt if your freesat box would fare any better against a sledge hammer.

As you will not be needing the forum, I will close your thread so that it does not attract any more unwanted posts.

TomD

Useful Utilites