Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No sound with HDMI since recent software update

This is a discussion on No sound with HDMI since recent software update within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Model Number: R010.070.58.06P Version Number: 4f3102 Hi SkyUser gurus On Tuesday 09th September 2014 an auto update was applied to ...

mcw25 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01353
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No sound with HDMI since recent software update

Model Number: R010.070.58.06P
      Version Number: 4f3102

Hi SkyUser gurus

On Tuesday 09th September 2014 an auto update was applied to our sky HD box. Since then sound via HDMI has stopped working. Also some recordings have been missed (thanks for the great software Sky!)

I guess it's not all bad news as the EPG has been updated!!! However I would take system stability over features that screw up functionality! Perhaps Sky could thoroughly soak test software updates before unleashing their dodgy software on their suckers, sorry, I mean customers. Okay, rant over!!!

My Sky HD box is connected directly to my LG 42" TV via HDMI

Here's what I've tested:
      1. Connected Sky box to TV via HDMI with three new cables, still no sound (I think that safely proves it's not the cable!)
      2. TV sound still works fine connected to Xbox, this verifies the issue is not with the TV
      3. Sky box to TV via SCART cable does give sound (but a terrible picture!)

I work in IT so know software updates can cause stability issues with hardware.

Can anyone tell me:
      • if recent software updates can cause issues as described here?
      • if it's possible to roll back the firmware version of the Sky box as I think the recent update has caused the problem?
      • is there something else I can try to get HDMI sound back?

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: No sound with HDMI since recent software update

If the boxes output is set to dolby digital, have you tried it set to normal (2 channel)?

Press services & scroll to settings > sound > digital audio output - HDMi.
      Press green to save.

Thanks

Hi gymno, thanks for responding

I forgot to mention that I had already tested changing the sound settings for the 'settings > sound > digital audio output - HDMi'. On both settings there is still no sound via HDMI

I'm going to purchase an optical cable to connect between the Sky box and TV. Does anyone know if this will allow sound via the TV when the TV and Sky box are connected via HDMI and optical cable?

Thanks in advance

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Optical connections on tv's are usually for output (eg: to surround sound amp) only.
      I'd check the tv manual to make sure.

Have you tried switching sky box & tv off at the mains for a few minutes?
      On the off-chance that sky have altered the audio in the new firmware, this should ensure a new HDMI handshake occurs when everything is powered up again.

One new aspect in the new firmware is HDMI control, found in the settings menu.
      The default status for this is on.
      It might be worth setting this to off before switching everything off to see if it makes a difference.
      The feature isn't compatible with every tv & there has been 1 or 2 reports of it causing some issues.

edit
      When you tested using the xbox, was that in the same HDMI socket?
      (Devices should always be fully off when connecting / disconnecting HDMI as hot plugging can cause damage).

Also, yes if all else fails it is possible to roll back to the previous firmware, at least for now.
      When sky are 100% sure that the new firmware is ok, they'll put that on the dr stream & it won't be.
      Last edited by gymno; 12-09-14 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Optical connections on tv's are usually for output (eg: to surround sound amp) only.
      I'd check the tv manual to make sure.

Have you tried switching sky box & tv off at the mains for a few minutes?
      On the off-chance that sky have altered the audio in the new firmware, this should ensure a new HDMI handshake occurs when everything is powered up again.

One new aspect in the new firmware is HDMI control, found in the settings menu.
      The default status for this is on.
      It might be worth setting this to off before switching everything off to see if it makes a difference.
      The feature isn't compatible with every tv & there has been 1 or 2 reports of it causing some issues.

edit
      When you tested using the xbox, was that in the same HDMI socket?
      (Devices should always be fully off when connecting / disconnecting HDMI as hot plugging can cause damage).

Also, yes if all else fails it is possible to roll back to the previous firmware, at least for now.
      When sky are 100% sure that the new firmware is ok, they'll put that on the dr stream & it won't be.
      Thanks, tonight I'm going to try the following:

1. Turn off HDMI control in settings menu, then power down for 15 minutes
      2. Test Xbox in same HDMI TV input (currently I'm connecting the Xbox to the TV via component)

I have a couple of other questions:
      1. How can I get instructions to roll back to the previous firmware?
      2. Is there a way to stop automatic firmware / software / EPG updates?

Thanks in advance

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcw25 View Post
      I have a couple of other questions:
      1. How can I get instructions to roll back to the previous firmware?
      Follow the instructions below the firmware version table in this post: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-h...tml#post397759
      It will load the latest version on the DR (disaster recovery) stream which is currently an earlier version than that being rolled out.
      2. Is there a way to stop automatic firmware / software / EPG updates?
      It isn't possible to stop automatic updates but as they are usually transmitted during the early hours of the morning (mainly around 2am) you could switch your Sky box off (not standby) however this could mess up any scheduled recordings if you forget to switch the box back on. The updates are currently targeted so you should be able to roll back and leave the box without receiving updates until either this update goes on general release or it is superseded by a later version.
      Last edited by seawright; 12-09-14 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks

Many thanks for the information seawright

I'm going to roll back to the DR stream tonight to see if this resolves the issue.

Where do you get your information about firmware releases and when updates get placed into the DR stream? I'd love to be able to see that information, is it available on the net or do you have to be in the know?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Thanks

Sometimes Sky push the information out on their forum though it's more usual for someone to force a software update then post either here or on the Sky forum if the firmware version downloaded is different to that which they expected. Scubbie tries to keep the table I referred to in my previous post updated though she does depend on feedback from other posters.

There are similar tables available elsewhere on the web though whether these are updated from official sources I do not know.

Thanks

Thanks for everyone's input.

I rolled back to the DR stream this morning but the issue remains.

I then found a smaller TV with HDMI and tested that with the Sky box, and guess what. It works. This clearly indicates the issue is with the larger TV and not the Sky box.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. But it was useful for me as I've found out some stuff about the Sky box that I didn't know before!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Sorry for picking this up a little late. I've been a little busy still.

Just to clarify a few things, whilst it is working once more on the R009 firmware, could you let us know the following please:

• Make/model TV
      • If you have the latest firmware installed on the TV (if it can connect to the Internet to check, please do)
      • Which model Xbox you are using
      • Have you the latest firmware/OS version for the Xbox installed?
      • Can you double check the settings for the Xbox to ensure that they are correctly set for the UK specs, not USA for the passthrough

I note that gymno asked you to ensure that the 'Digital Audio Output settings for the HDMI' was set to 'Normal'. This is the correct option unless the STB is connected to a surround sound system.

Also have you connected the STB directly to the TV without the Xbox? Did the same problem exist.

It is known that the DolbyD feature doesn't work with all TVs over the HDMI. Sadly there isn't much we can get the developers to do at this time. They are aware of the issue and will no doubt be working on it if they can.

Another thing to have checked would be the CEC feature. This is new to R010 and might have been the cause. This is just a guess though.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.