Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Another boxsets question (sorry)!

This is a discussion on Another boxsets question (sorry)! within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all, a while ago I posted a box sets question. Basically I have been with Sky a few years ...

mjstokes85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMILKES
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 30mb
      Router: BT HH5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Another boxsets question (sorry)!

Hi all, a while ago I posted a box sets question. Basically I have been with Sky a few years and am on the "old" package. So I have "Original Bundle", "Sports", "Movies" and "HD Pack". I pay around 61.75 a month at present. I get box sets for the channels I subscribe to, eg. at the moment I am watching all the Prison Breaks because I have HD and Sky 1 I am able to do this. I have been told if I didn't have HD this wouldn't work and I would need the variety pack. I cannot get box sets or on demand content from anything out of my subscription, eg. I cannot get and Kids or Discovery box sets. This is where my question now lies. ABC Studios box sets. This has always been a grey area. A while ago I tried to watch an ABC Studios box set, Ugly Betty I think it was. I was told by my box I didn't have the right subscription as I needed EE+ at the time. Today I was on the Sky site adding SS5 to my package and decided to do the live chat and ask about this, I was told I need the variety pack at 6.50 a month extra for ABC box sets. So tonight I just randomly tried to download "Scrubs" which is an ABC Studios box set. To my shock and amazement it downloaded and I could watch it. So, have Sky given me this by accident? Is it a free trial period or are the ABC studios sets now just standard? I have not added anything to my subscription or added anything during my live chat, so I guess these are now just included?

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Another boxsets question (sorry)!

I've never even tried to understand what the whole ABC studios thing was / is about.

ABC aren't even mentioned as part of any channel name in the EPG yet get their own on demand section?

For a while i thought on demand access might depend on which channel the boxset has been 'pulled' from, but that can't be right.
      I was told by sky that all boxsets are only available to those subscribing to the new family bundle or its old legacy equivalent, but if you're watching boxsets that can't be right either.*

Then there's the show 'scandal'.
      Search results show that every episode of series 1 & 2 are available via the boxsets section, from both ABC studios & Sky Living (which is in the original bundle).
      Episode 21 is also being broadcast as a repeat by channel 4 on tuesday with series link but they don't have it on demand.
      Series 3 is in mid-series broadcast on sky living & only they have it on demand (not only on catch-up but also in the boxsets section even though it's not complete yet).

Technically, you should have access to all of the boxsets provided by the channels you subscribe to.
      However, it's impossible to subscribe to a package that has 'ABC studios' in it because the don't exist as a channel.
      Too confusing.
      Sort it out sky.

*At the time of the previous package change, there was much talk of:
      E = entertainment = 2 of the old 6 categories of channels.
      EE = entertainment extra = all 6 of the old 6 categories of channels.
      EE+ = entertainment extra + HD & access to boxsets.
      There was very little (if any) mention of E+...
      Last edited by gymno; 30-08-14 at 09:39 PM. Reason: the bit with the *

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you have the old E or EE+ with the original full HD pack, you get box sets for the channels included in your package. ABC is a bit of a puzzle as it does not appear in any of the packages, it appears to have slipped Sky's notice. I use it quite often and have the Variety (old EE) bundle with the full HD pack. I don't have any problems with Catch up or Box sets. The top pack now is the Family pack, which is really the same as the Variety bundle except it includes HD and 3D. The HD in the Family pack is only for that pack, if you want HD with Sports or Movies, then it is another 5.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mjstokes85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMILKES
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 30mb
      Router: BT HH5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you have the old E or EE+ with the original full HD pack, you get box sets for the channels included in your package. ABC is a bit of a puzzle as it does not appear in any of the packages, it appears to have slipped Sky's notice. I use it quite often and have the Variety (old EE) bundle with the full HD pack. I don't have any problems with Catch up or Box sets. The top pack now is the Family pack, which is really the same as the Variety bundle except it includes HD and 3D. The HD in the Family pack is only for that pack, if you want HD with Sports or Movies, then it is another 5.
      So basically nobody, not even Sky really know about the ABC studios box sets! I just don't understand why all of a sudden I can watch them. Hopefully they don't remove them as I'm going to start watching Lost when I have finished Prison Break.