Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DRX890-R - fried or not?

This is a discussion on DRX890-R - fried or not? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi people, I have a problem with my STB and need your help. I came home from work to find ...

tga260599 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

DRX890-R - fried or not?

Hi people,

I have a problem with my STB and need your help. I came home from work to find it stuck in stand-by again (red led on) So, as you do, I unplugged it for around 30 secs then plugged it back in to find only two blocks of the blue ring lighting up. Nothing else. No rotation just the two segments (2nd and 3rd counting from the top, pls see pic)

I've tried resetting it using the soft restore and full restore methods but nothing happen apart from the two blue lights as soon as power is restored.

I can't hear the HDD at all so I thought it might be the culprit but it seems to work alright hooked up to my PC (using a usb adapter)

Anyone have cunning plan or is it time to bin it.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DRX890-R - fried or not?-drx890.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks

Re: DRX890-R - fried or not?

By full restore do you mean applying power to box while depressing left and right arrow buttons on top of box? If so you need to hold buttons for at least a minute or until blue circle flashes repeatedly. If this doesn't work first time switch off and repeat at least two more times before giving up. If blue circle does flash press centre select button twice and circle should chase in an anti-clockwise direction.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

tga260599 (26-05-14)

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

No guarantees but this might fix it: http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page12.htm#RELKIT50

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinP For This Useful Post:

tga260599 (26-05-14)

tga260599 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      By full restore do you mean applying power to box while depressing left and right arrow buttons on top of box?
      Thanks for the answer.

Yes, and I've just tried it again 3 times. Nothing apart from the two blue segments.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
      No guarantees but this might fix it: http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page12.htm#RELKIT50
      a great link, cheers...I'll get in touch with them.

Actually, after reading more threads/posts here, I could have killed the box myself. I only have one lead running to the box and every so often it lost the signal (sometimes after switching channels, most times after startup) and if I switched the sat cable to the other input picture was restored. Should I have unplugged the box beforehand? A restart normally cured the no signal problem too but that always seem to take an age, especially with kick-off approaching :-)
      Last edited by tga260599; 26-05-14 at 09:53 PM.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks

If you have to keep swapping the input cables it is probable that one of the LNB feeds is defective. In this situation (if repairing the feed wasn't possible) it would have been best to switch the box to single feed mode.

I couldn't say for definite that you caused the problem but it is always good policy to switch off the supply to the Sky box before changing any connections.