Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky finally installed ; absolute mess!

This is a discussion on Sky finally installed ; absolute mess! within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I've attached some photos from my installation! The engineer partially cut my virgin cable and connected a smaller connection so ...

Ryan1992 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wishaw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky finally installed ; absolute mess!-bottom-exterior.jpgSky finally installed ; absolute mess!-bottom-wardrope.jpgSky finally installed ; absolute mess!-box-not-properly-positioned.jpgSky finally installed ; absolute mess!-inside-connection.jpgSky finally installed ; absolute mess!-inside-wardrope.jpgSky finally installed ; absolute mess!-inside.jpgSky finally installed ; absolute mess!-middle.jpgSky finally installed ; absolute mess!-wide-shot.jpg

I've attached some photos from my installation!

The engineer partially cut my virgin cable and connected a smaller connection so that they didn't need to drill any extra holes in my fitted wardropes ; what they've done hasn't affected my virgin services so we're fine there. The Virgin cable was very neatly tacked inside the wardrope whereas the sky cable now looks an absolute eyesore. The engineer also didn't clean up any of the mess that the drilling created. My Mum wouldn't have had them tidy it up anyway but it's the principle of the thing - they just walked away and left it Finally, the box was left just sitting on top of my xbox when I'd clearly left a space for the box to go which was right next to it. I was unfortunately working so it was my mum who was in.

What would you guys have thought if this was your installation? Am I moaning for nothing?

2. Advertisement
      puppet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: Sky finally installed ; absolute mess!

To be honest, after I realised that they'd dumped the Sky box directly on top of my nice new Xbox, then everything else would have paled into insignificance!
      placcychicken likes this.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
      To be honest, after I realised that they'd dumped the Sky box directly on top of my nice new Xbox, then everything else would have paled into insignificance!
      Haha, that's the main complaint obviously
      But in all seriousness, it's just the way they cables were left dangling inside the wardrobe and the state of the dust

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

He could of cleared the dust agreed, but have you ever tried hammering cable clips into that contiboard stuff that the wardrobe is made out of? It's not easy, you stand a good chance of causing serious damage or spitting the wardrobe panel. So Im not surprised he didn't put cable clips in.

Easy way to tidy it up would be to go to Wickes and get some mini trucking with peel off sticky backing, that will stick to the wardrobe perfectly and not cause any damage.

Self Adhesive Mini Trunking | Wickes.co.uk

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

I'd be pretty unhappy with that mess and would be asking Sky to redo the installation or offer compensation.

Sky "engineers" can be a mixed bunch. No doubt many are excellent but many are not. If customers put up with shoddy work then the bad ones just continue to do it. If customers complain then the bad ones either improve or get weeded out. Sky can't improve things if they're not told.
      gymno likes this.

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Your Xbox one is going to overheat the Sky box is blocking the fan

Sent from my iPhone 5 soon to be Samsung Galaxy S4

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2003 View Post
      Your Xbox one is going to overheat the Sky box is blocking the fan

Sent from my iPhone 5 soon to be Samsung Galaxy S4
      Don;t worry ; I moved the box right away to the place where it should have been left
      Paul2003 likes this.

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

I can't follow the logic (if any) behind the cable routing but I would mention the following:-

1. Sky installers are not permitted to drill internal walls so he was probably risking his job by drilling your cupboard.

2. In general, they are allowed to hammer clips only into skirting boards and outside walls.

3. Coaxial cable must not be kinked, under any circumstances, so the bend radius should never be less than that required to encircle a bean can. This fact would probably make it difficult to clip the cable neatly to the cupboard - even if Sky installers were issued with self-adhesive clips (they aren't).

4. Sky installers are on a very tight schedule and generally don't tidy up any mess unless they have time to spare. (They are supposed to but they are also supposed to keep the next appointment - so guess which takes priority?)

5. You get what you pay for. If you want a professional job, do it yourself or pay a professional for the time it will take.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Can't you just pull the shelves out of the way and run the cables down the back of those shelves - it looks like you can in the pics, just cut a little from the back of the chip-board shelf's.

Is it hard to vacuum the dust, really?
      Both my Sky and Virgin installs required a bit of "hoovering" after the work was done.

I wouldn't expect them to do the "hoovering".

As to the Xbox positioning this is a bit silly. They wouldn't want to move an existing equipment item, as if it broke you'd claim they broke it by moving it.
      Unless the person attending the install said they wanted it next to, or on top of, or underneath that box then they are unlikely to do that so don't blame the installer.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Is it hard to vacuum the dust, really?
      Both my Sky and Virgin installs required a bit of "hoovering" after the work was done.
      I never one said it was difficult to hoover? It's the principle of the thing - I wouldn't go into someone's house, make an absolute mess and not offer to clean up!

As to the Xbox positioning this is a bit silly. They wouldn't want to move an existing equipment item, as if it broke you'd claim they broke it by moving it.
      Unless the person attending the install said they wanted it next to, or on top of, or underneath that box then they are unlikely to do that so don't blame the installer.
      I never said that I wanted to have the xbox moved, there was clearly a gap right next to it for the box to go to, so there was no need to move any item.

It really was just the principle of the situation that's all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast