Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Turning TV on stops Magic Eye from working

This is a discussion on Turning TV on stops Magic Eye from working within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all! I've been diagnosing problems with my parents TV setup for months now, solving one issue only for another ...

Redgie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Formby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Turning TV on stops Magic Eye from working

Hi all! I've been diagnosing problems with my parents TV setup for months now, solving one issue only for another to pop up. The latest I have is that when the main TV (50" Samsung Plasma) is turned off, the magic eyes all work, but as soon as the TV is turned on, even if it is not connected to anything other than power, and even if the power is ran on an extensions cable all the way to a socket on the other side of the house (And on another ring), the magic eyes all stop working (Even though the red LED still illuminates on each, and the Sky channels are still viewable).

The system works as follows:

|Aerial Socket| --> |Sky Box 1 (RF in)| --> |Sky Box 1(RF2 out - Power On)| --> |Sky Box 2 (RF in)| --> |Sky Box 2 (RF2 out - Power On)| --> |Aerial Socket|

So in other words, aerial from the wall goes into one Sky box, out of that and into another, then back into the aerial system. Then TV's around the house can see both Sky channels (And can use magic eyes). Both Sky boxes are reasonably recent Sky+ HD boxes. All magic eyes are brand new, and all remotes are reasonably new too.

It's so weird, it's like the TV causes an electrical interference or something, even though it never used to!

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Turning TV on stops Magic Eye from working

What are the makes of any TV's you use in this set up? Samsung's have been known to interfere with IR remote interactions with Sky+ boxes in the past (I experienced this myself and the solution was to make sure the Sky+ box IR was not in the same line of sight as the TV). The problem reduced after the TV had been on for 15+ minutes.

Thanks

The TV causing the problem is indeed a Samsung! The others are a variety (Toshiba, LG, Phillips etc.). The Samsung TV is right above both Sky boxes, so line of sight is always guaranteed, and unfortunately is also always necessary as the Sky is watched predominantly on that TV. I've not (Yet) noticed a solving of the issue after 15+ minutes, normally it stops working until the TV is turned off again.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have always founds magic eye to be flakey! Been using these for years PULSAT.COM - MARMITEK POWERMID XL REMOTE CONTROL EXTENDER - SATELLITE TV REMOTES & EXTENDERS never had a problem!

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redgie View Post
      The TV causing the problem is indeed a Samsung! The others are a variety (Toshiba, LG, Phillips etc.). The Samsung TV is right above both Sky boxes, so line of sight is always guaranteed, and unfortunately is also always necessary as the Sky is watched predominantly on that TV. I've not (Yet) noticed a solving of the issue after 15+ minutes, normally it stops working until the TV is turned off again.
      My solution was to select anything I needed to select before turning the Samsung TV on. Not perfect but it is a work around. Others moved their Sky boxes away from the TV - but that isn't always feasible. Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      I have always founds magic eye to be flakey! Been using these for years PULSAT.COM - MARMITEK POWERMID XL REMOTE CONTROL EXTENDER - SATELLITE TV REMOTES & EXTENDERS never had a problem!
      Considering all the wiring in place, this seems like a wasteful approach

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      My solution was to select anything I needed to select before turning the Samsung TV on. Not perfect but it is a work around. Others moved their Sky boxes away from the TV - but that isn't always feasible. Good luck.
      Well yeah as you say it's not exactly perfect. As for moving the Sky box away from the TV, it's not overly possible in its current position

What I don't get, is why is a button press that happens on the other side of the house, stopped from reaching the Sky box, just because a TV next to the skybox which is NOT plugged into it? I just can't comprehend it !

Thanks

Still not managed to find a solution to this, and am utterly baffled as to what to try next ?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redgie View Post
      Still not managed to find a solution to this, and am utterly baffled as to what to try next ?
      Do you need to control the Sky box locally? If not try placing books or similar in front of it to prevent it receiving any IR emissions from the TV.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Daft point, but where is the Magic-eye positioned in relation to the TV?

The backlights of some TVs will prevent the Magic-eye from seeing the IR signal if they are shining on the Magic-eye.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Might seem silly, but try wrapping the magic eye body in plastic sheet, covering all the exposed metal parts. Use a bit of sellotape to hold it in place.

Do you notice any problems with your broadband when the TV is on?

I did not think much of the final reply you received on the Official forum. They sell the magic eyes, then have the gall to tell you they don't support them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast