Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Turning TV on stops Magic Eye from working

This is a discussion on Turning TV on stops Magic Eye from working within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by seawright Do you need to control the Sky box locally? If not try placing books or similar ...

Redgie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Formby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Turning TV on stops Magic Eye from working

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Do you need to control the Sky box locally? If not try placing books or similar in front of it to prevent it receiving any IR emissions from the TV.
      I do need it to be controllable locally , and the remote is being used on the other side of the house through numerous walls, so direct IR signals are far from being able to reach the sensor!

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Daft point, but where is the Magic-eye positioned in relation to the TV?

The backlights of some TVs will prevent the Magic-eye from seeing the IR signal if they are shining on the Magic-eye.
      The eyes are in various places around the house, one is on top of a TV, one is under it, another is to the side. None are anywhere near the main TV which is actually causing the problem though

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Might seem silly, but try wrapping the magic eye body in plastic sheet, covering all the exposed metal parts. Use a bit of sellotape to hold it in place.

Do you notice any problems with your broadband when the TV is on?

I did not think much of the final reply you received on the Official forum. They sell the magic eyes, then have the gall to tell you they don't support them.
      I could try wrapping the eyes but as there are three and each has the same problem, caused the second the main TV (Which isn't connected to a magic eye) is turned on, I'm not sure if this would help?

Broadband is fine, but then that is fibre and the Sky box isn't on the phone line anyway.

As for Sky, tell me about it I felt like screaming at them when they replied with that but sadly know it wouldn't get me anywhere !

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redgie View Post
      I do need it to be controllable locally , and the remote is being used on the other side of the house through numerous walls, so direct IR signals are far from being able to reach the sensor!
      You misunderstand me. The sensor I am referring to is integral with the Sky box it is also very sensitive and I assume it to be in range of any IR emissions from the plasma TV. If you could drape open books so they cover the front and front part of the top of the Sky box (even if only as a temporary measure) to see if the magic eyes will still work with the Samsung TV switched on.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I could try wrapping the eyes but as there are three and each has the same problem, caused the second the main TV (Which isn't connected to a magic eye) is turned on, I'm not sure if this would help?
      I am thinking the TV may be sending out some sort of EM interference, similar to REIN. Shielding the eyes body may reduce the effect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Redgie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Formby
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      You misunderstand me. The sensor I am referring to is integral with the Sky box it is also very sensitive and I assume it to be in range of any IR emissions from the plasma TV. If you could drape open books so they cover the front and front part of the top of the Sky box (even if only as a temporary measure) to see if the magic eyes will still work with the Samsung TV switched on.
      Ahh okay, in that case I think I may already be trying that Of the two Sky Boxes in the main living room (With the Samsung plasma), one is covered, and that one is the one that has the magic eyes connected, so the sensor for that box is actually already covered?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I am thinking the TV may be sending out some sort of EM interference, similar to REIN. Shielding the eyes body may reduce the effect.
      Hmm, alrighty, will try that, thanks

Thank you all for your help so far, it's a horrifically awkward situation to explain, which means I know it's even more awkward to try and help with, so thank you all so far

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redgie View Post
      Ahh okay, in that case I think I may already be trying that Of the two Sky Boxes in the main living room (With the Samsung plasma), one is covered, and that one is the one that has the magic eyes connected, so the sensor for that box is actually already covered?
      What is it covered with? Remember it is IR you are trying to block not visible light so just because you cannot see the front of the Sky box doesn't mean IR cannot penetrate to the sensor which is why I suggested using books.

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

The TV is producing interference, which is getting into the coaxial cable that is feeding RF2 to the SkyLink compatible amplified splitter (which I assume you are using, although you haven't specifically stated that).

What you must do is ensure that any associated TV wall socket (carrying the RF2 signal) is fully screened. Make sure the cables carrying the RF2 signal are double-screened and any associated TV plugs are metal (not plastic).

Also (as a test) move the Digibox a far as possible from the TV and (if possible) move the TV as far as possible from the wall or wherever the RF2 cable feed runs.

HOWEVER - did you state that the problem has only started recently?
      In that case, one or more capacitors in your TV internal Power Supply is failing and needs to be replaced ASAP before damage occurs. I fixed one of these sets recently. Here's some relevant information:-
      http://www.satcure.co.uk/reviews/sat...89.htm#samsung
      http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/low_ES...ors.htm#plague
      http://www.satcure.co.uk/book.htm#magic

Thanks

To check whether it is directly radiated interference (either IR or RF) disconnect every lead from the Samsung TV, except for the power lead, and check whether switching this TV on still causes the Magic Eyes to fail.

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

I think that Redgie has lost interest or gone on holiday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12